StromTrooper banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. How about discussing your modifications, and posting up some photos? I'd like to hear from people what they like, and think is worth the money, etc.

I guess I'm kind of project biking my two year old Wee now. First expensive mod, the Russel seat - on order.

I'm interested in every mod or farkle, especially new bars and performance exhaust. What's working for you, what do you like? My first mod was the center stand. Can't imagine not having it, in spite of the reduced ground clearance.

PS. I also had some LineX done, as you can see.

·
Registered
671 Posts
If it's mods you seek...

...you cometh to the right place. :)

Let's see...

1. Givi E350 luggage
2. Bridgestore Battlewing tirest (F & B)
3. Givi crashbars
4. Vstroma skid plate on Vstroma.com
5. SW-Motech adapter for Givis on Twisted Throttle (http://www.stromtrooper.com/v-strom...ma-plate-givi-bars-sw-motech-adapter-wee.html)
6. Purolator ML16818 oil filter (Amazon.com: Purolator ML16818 Black Motorcycle Oil Filter, Pack of 1: Automotive)
7. Shark teeth decal (http://www.stromtrooper.com/general...ne-interested-getting-set-my-shark-teeth.html)
8. Removed Suzuki decals; added some bullet holes to go with the shark teeth
9. 3W LED driving lights (http://www.stromtrooper.com/general-v-strom-discussion/46958-driving-lights-again.html)
10. Richland Rich’s fork brace (Rick's Fork Brace (Adventure Tech))
11. Eastern Beaver H4 Dual Headlight Relay Kit (Motorcycle H4 Relay Kits, cheap Worldwide Shipping) ; helps prevent problems like this: http://www.stromtrooper.com/maintenance-tech-farkles/58590-headlight-problems.html
12. Touratech Rear Brake Light LED (Touratech Rear Brake Light LED)
13. Suzuki DL650 Gel seat (http://www.stromtrooper.com/general...76-seat-comparison-stock-650-gel-sargent.html)
14. Reflective tape in all turn signals (http://www.stromtrooper.com/general-v-strom-discussion/58662-tin-foil-turn-signals.html)
15. Dan Vesel soft luggage guard for DL650 (My V-Strom Accessories and Motorcycle Memories)
16. Electric lead for battery tender and air compressor
17. Electric lead for Tourmaster Synergy hated vest
18. Home-made windscreen brackets (I have found windshield goodness. It cost me $14.61.)
19. Now done but not in the picture – extended front brake line (to allow for higher raisers)
20. Tusk universal riser kit (part # 1134270003) (Gnarly Parts and Accessories, Inc)
21. Suzuki OEM grip warmers
22. Acerbis Multiconcept Enduro guards
23. A switch for LED driving lights
24. Crampbuster CB1 (CrampBuster - The Original Motorcycle Cruise Control) – always on the bike but for this one shot!

Best bang for the buck, IMO:

- fork brace
- Cramp Buster
- Eastern Beaver relay kit
- LED driving lights

And so on...

Actually I just realized that since taking those photos, I got rid of the skid plate, got the Dan's V-Strom lift rig and am in the process to converting turn signals to MR11 bulbs.

It never ends.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Way to go guys. You two are farkle machines. Which are your favorites?

Which are the best value for the money?

I know that Gary views his Russel as his top mod. That sold me on it as well.

I'll have to re-read your lists and ask a couple more questions. Thanks for playing.

Anyone else?

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Centerstand should make the list, IMO. As well as a topcase.

When I get a new saddle, I'll probably put that on the list as well. I'm seriously considering heated grips. My hands about froze going over a mountain pass in the sierra's last weekend.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
2007 Suzuki DL650 w/ABS plus Fenda Extenda, sport and touring MP shields, clear signal lenses, hand guards, Audiovox CC-100 cruise control, NEP CC4 throttle lock, clock/temp/voltmeter guage, Scotts steering stabilizer, 2 Heat-Trollers, Sargent seat, SV Racing sliders, Adventure Motostuff turn signal conversion kit, HotGrips with Grip Puppies, SW-Motech sidecase racks w/tool tube - center stand - engine guards, Givi E36 side cases and E45 topcase, fork gaiters, Eastern Beaver single headlight cutoff switch with relay and PC8 fuse block, Stebel horn, Superbrace, EBC HH front brake pads and organic rear pads, Emgo mirrors, garage door opener, 2 cigar lighter type sockets, earbuds with two jacks wired to bike for Garmin Zumo 550, Elka shock, Pat Walsh dash with stiffener, 2 Ram ball mounts, LED turn signals including front running lights and LED tail lights plus below cowling running lights, Traxxion fork cartridges, speed bleeders, VVME.com HID headlights with relay, MOSFET regulator, Gear Indicator Pro DX, grease fittings on the center stand pivots and shift lever pivot, stainless steel allen head replacement case bolts, RichlandRick footpeg lowering kit, adjustable hand levers, SKF tapered roller steering head bearings and Bales oil filter conversion center bolt.

Some items are shown here but stuff has changed since this photo.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Looks good Greywolf.

You decided against aftermarket pipes? What are your favorite mods? You know....the ones you can't live without now that you have them?

·
Registered
487 Posts
2007 Suzuki DL650 w/ABS plus Fenda Extenda, sport and touring MP shields, clear signal lenses, hand guards, Audiovox CC-100 cruise control, NEP CC4 throttle lock, clock/temp/voltmeter guage, Scotts steering stabilizer, 2 Heat-Trollers, Sargent seat, SV Racing sliders, Adventure Motostuff turn signal conversion kit, HotGrips with Grip Puppies, SW-Motech sidecase racks w/tool tube - center stand - engine guards, Givi E36 side cases and E45 topcase, fork gaiters, Eastern Beaver single headlight cutoff switch with relay and PC8 fuse block, Stebel horn, Superbrace, EBC HH front brake pads and organic rear pads, Emgo mirrors, garage door opener, 2 cigar lighter type sockets, earbuds with two jacks wired to bike for Garmin Zumo 550, Elka shock, Pat Walsh dash with stiffener, 2 Ram ball mounts, LED turn signals including front running lights and LED tail lights plus below cowling running lights, Traxxion fork cartridges, speed bleeders, VVME.com HID headlights with relay, MOSFET regulator, Gear Indicator Pro DX, grease fittings on the center stand pivots and shift lever pivot, stainless steel allen head replacement case bolts, RichlandRick footpeg lowering kit, adjustable hand levers, SKF tapered roller steering head bearings and Bales oil filter conversion center bolt.

Some items are shown here but stuff has changed since this photo.

I like your mods, just curious why you would want to shut of the left light?

·
38,103 Posts
I like your mods, just curious why you would want to shut of the left light?
Sometimes in really cold weather when riding in the daytime, I need the extra watts for heated gear.

·
Registered
15,612 Posts
Dang if you ain't THE MAN. Cruise control and headlight switch. My tax return was for more than I filed, thank you IRS. You are putting spending thoughts in my head. In a good way though.:hurray:

·
38,103 Posts
That's what happens when "Wouldn't it be nice if.." questions pop into my head. It's about as bad as seeing someone else post a solution to a problem I didn't know I had before then.

·
Premium Member
520 Posts
2007 Wee
This was Crpntr's old bike which I further modded
GSX-R750 brake calipers, Galfer HH pads, Galfer SS brake lines, speed bleeder
SV racing 4 piston caliper adapter
Ohlins SU823 shock (110 spring)
Race Tech .95 fork springs, gold valve emulator, 20w fluid
Burkhart Racing 1" raising link 7075 aluminum
hockey puck modded kick stand
TKC 80 tires
Acerbis Supermoto front fender gloss black
Leo Vince full header and exhaust
Dobeck EFI mapping
K&N air filter
Gerbing heated jacket liner
heated grips with hi/low on left dash
GPS mount for Garmin with 12V outlet on right dash
Acerbis handguards with alum frame
CRG Roll-A-Click shorty brake and clutch levers (dk gray w/red switches)
Protaper ATV hi-bar
SW Motech mirror extenders
gel seat with Alaska Leather w/extra front strap (not pictured)
passenger backrest (Dan Vessel) with his sheepskin cover
Wolfman Peak tailbag
Cortech Supermini tankbag
Givi crash bar
rear slider/spool
aluminum rear wheel stand
SW Motech alu radiator guard
custom skidplate (Yann D to fit Leo Vince, then further modded) not pictured
Fastways footpegs
headlight covers (brand? forgotten?)
clear rear blinker lens cover
clear flush front blinker lens cover
custom Suzuki badges

Below is a pic with the luggage:
SW Motech quick release saddlebag mounts (not pictured)
Givi e21 saddlebags

Below you can see the hockey puck modded side stand better, the Ohlins shock, Fastway pegs, & CRG Roll-A-Click shorty levers a little better (sorry for bad pics):

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Kevin.....that was great. You've done alot of stuff that I'm sure many of us have thought about. I'm specifically curious about your suspension and header upgrades.

Can you give us a breakdown on how the bike handled/performed pre and post those two mods?

Did you notice any difference in performance with the exhaust?

How does your new suspension compare to the stock?

Were the improvements worth the cost?

PS. Your bike looks great.

·
Premium Member
520 Posts
Guyver,
Thanks. The exhaust, front fender, fastway pegs, bars, 12v, heated grips, Motech luggage bracket (but no luggage), Givi bars, Acerbis were from prior owner so I had a great baseline to start from. Exhaust sounds deep with baffle out but never too loud even on highway (no droning) and very smooth fueling. With KN filter and mapping the performance gain is only marginal and if it were my own money I'd rec only slip on and KN (maybe Scorpion) as full header creates fitment challenges for skidplate with no big benefit but sound. Though I'd never sell it! And the starting price 13 months ago of $4000 was right too.

First mod was passenger backrest (Dan Vessel) with matching sheepskin cover (Dan Vessel) for my wife which is perfect and cost about $120 I think? At the time the bike had Galfer ss brake lines but brakes were rather weak and front dive was excessive ... sort of like a Toyota Camry. Nice but not sporty enough, though I really liked the TKCs in every condition once I figured the right air pressure (FR36.3.Rr40.6 for road; 24/28 dirt). I tried to raise the fork tubes 15mm to lower the front end and steering was quicker but bottoming went from bad to worse.

One month after I bought it I noticed too soft fork springs that bottomed regularly off road on a big dual track ride with much lighter bikes. In fact after 200+ miles of mised terrain I also needed new fork seals .. what an excuse to upgrade! The fork springs and gold valves were a no brainer as I HAD to do the fork seals. Added raising links and Ohlins at same time. The Ohlins only cost a hair less than $700 (SU 823 purchased from Kyle Racing) and is a great value ... no regrets. At the time bike had about 24,000 miles.

Immediately, I found vastly reduced brake dive, firm yet even more compliant suspension. Much improved resistance to bottoming if wheelying off road, if going over whoops, or when hitting sharp bumps off road. Yes, I do ride it, in a spirited way, off road though slower than lighter bikes. Suspension felt much more dialed. The shock is even better than the re-built forks as I "hear" bumps in the front end but neither hear nor feel any bumps on the rear wheel. Very, very nice. As a result my cornering speed started to increase and the brakes felt weak. It now ruly handles and brakes as well as a stock R1200GS, which I have driven though off road the GS still has much better ground clearance and travel (front and rear) and costs $10,000 more.

The raising link went on at the same time. By raising the rear I could bring front forks to original height (15 mm extra travel) plus it still has the raised rear effect of sharp steering because of the 1" raising link. Due to excessive lean on the side stand, due to raising link, the hockey puck mod was done to raise side stand and prevent tip over in soft parking areas. It cost $2.50 and I see zero down side. This mod is well covered on line (I followed a BMW owner's directions) just make sure you countersink the bolt heads under the base of the hockey puck.

Bought 2001 GSX-R 4 piston calipers off eBay ($70) and an adapter bracket from SV Racing and the result was initially only OK and less than I wanted. Yes the used pads had been cleaned and had plenty of life left. Rotors were also cleaned initially with no gain. When I changed the used GSX-R brake pads to Galfer HH sintered pads and gave a fresh fluid and proper bleed the results were very dramatic and the braking all came together. Now it brakes and feels firm, the way it should come from the factory. The two finger feel from the excellent CRG shorty levers is awesome. The brakes are still progressive and fine off road too.

Price for suspension and brakes (I did all labor myself) was about $100 less than the cost of the Elka 3-way shock that Blair of SV Racing had quoted me. So I feel that I spent money wisely and maybe even justifiable because my bike has 28,500 miles (currently) and it deserved some work.

Now I need to do steering stem bearings (next week) to get rid of a clunk.

Luggage: I had the Wolfman Peak tailbag from other bike. It is tidy yet expandable, waterproof and looks nice. Similarly, I like the Givi e21 ($120 from craigslist) for their sportier appearance and top loading. I like the small Cortech tankbag as it does not interfere with GPS and holds plenty.

Comfort/misc: Gel seat is nice. I was using an Airhawk which I like for longer road rides but dislike off road as you cannot stand up on it. Just got sheepskin and it fits perfect and like it so far. The Gerbing jacket liner is fantastic (used $125 craigslist plus $60 for heat troller) which is much better than a mediocre Widder vest (I returned) I briefly had years ago as I like warm sleeves and neck and now I never use a mid-layer or liner even in 25 degrees.

So I am a bargain shopper and like to be patient to find the right farkle for my taste. I believe this approach has helped my money stretch. Do it in phases. Also, for example if doing fork springs, wait till you need new fork seals so you are in there already.

Kevin

1 - 17 of 17 Posts