StromTrooper banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 650 that is lowered 2 inches. I am new to riding and certainly new to the Strom. The bike feels good to me (I'm 6' even)...I like being able to handle the bike at a stop as easily as I do, but what will I gain/lose by putting the bike back to stock height? I probably would have never known it was lowered if I hadn't been told. Leaning towered putting it back where it "should" be, but I'm looking for some input first since I do not have another Strom to compare it to. Thanks

·
Registered
121 Posts
raise it up

Im 5'8 with a 08 vstrom 650..bike is stock and is perfect for me...your side stand may have been modified also...

·
Premium Member
2,231 Posts
Lowering the rear any more than about 1-1/4" risks the tire hitting the fender when the shock is compressed. And lowering the front more than 3/4" risks the brake distribution block hitting the... something. Either way, 2" of lowering is asking for trouble if you use all or most of the suspension travel.
So yeah, if you're 6' tall you can handle a normal-height wee.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the feedback guys. I already had an appointment to raise it back to stock, but had no issue with the way it was handling lowered. Plus, it gave me a chance to get a "feel" for the bike with both feet planted firmly on the ground. I look forward to the stock height now. I appreciate the advice...

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
I like the front lowered 10-15mm with respect to the rear which really requires the rear to be at least stock height. I think it's a matter of aerodynamics. The steering is more agile as would be expected but the bike also seems more stable which would be unusual looking at geometry alone. Only ABS models have a brake distribution block under the lower triple clamp. 10mm would be the maximum front lowering allowed for an ABS model if a fork brace is installed and a fork brace is a good idea.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I rode 2-up on a (borrowed) lowered Wee a couple weeks ago in the twisties.
Scraped my boot and peg pretty hard one time. Suspect the handling was compromised too. The bike belongs to my buddies wife, my bikes were back at the house...

·
Registered
672 Posts
I lowered my wife's wee a little over an inch. Seems to handle better than stock and also less wind effect and truck back wash buffeting. It was such an improvment that I followed Greywolfs suggestion above and lowered the front of my Wee at 15mm. Increased handling responsivness and also reduced cross wind effects. I also added a fork brace.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts