StromTrooper banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have checked threads for a reference to my new problem but have found none.
After a hardish fund raising ride, sometimes cruising at 130km's to 140km's, my Wee has developed an odd miss/cough when idling. It's a little more pronounced when cold idling. However, she runs good when accelerating and on the road. The nearest diagnostics machine is 400km's away and I will take it there when I have the time. Meanwhile does anyone have an idea what the problem could be, given that I have changed the plugs.Cheers, Glenn.

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,522 Posts
Duck is correct about checking sparkplug gap.

Also, you may want to double check the tightness of the sparkplugs in the cylinder head, and the sparkplug boots themselves. You may not have gotten the boots pressed down lightly enough, over the new plugs when you installed them.

B.L.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Wee cough...

Thanks for the advise fellow strommers. I changed the plugs in the hope of losing the cough/miss but it made no difference. But I will check out the gap and caps. Cheers guys.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts
If changing the plugs made no difference I'd leave them alone. Something else is causing the problem. What year is your bike? Is it idling at about 1300rpm?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
coughing Wee...

Hello Greywolf, It's a 2004 model and I have adjusted the idle up to 1300 from 800 when I got it.

·
38,104 Posts
That's good. Now I wonder about fuel quality. Has this been happening through at least a few tanks of fuel?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Wee cough...

Nah don't think so, have just done an 850 km round trip, bike went really well, but still have the miss. It's a bit like the spark happens too soon, or the exhaust tappet, (for want of better knowledge), sticks?

·
Registered
359 Posts
Try some midgrade fuel if u think its pre ignition. Possible fuel filter, or vaccume leak. Just my guess.

·
38,104 Posts
So the quick possibilities have been covered. Now the deeper stuff like valve clearance inspection and air filter check are in order.

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,522 Posts
If changing the plugs made no difference I'd leave them alone.
Not so fast.......

This past Fall I purchased a used 2005 Subaru Outback to replace my old, Ford Windstar. For the first 6 weeks that I owned it, it ran fine. Then a "stumble" to the motor began to occur. It was around the 32 - 42mph range. The Check Engine Light came on. It was a misfire in cylinder #03.

I have been told by a couple of mechanics to always use NGK sparkplugs in Subaru motors. When I pulled the plugs, I found that they were NGK sparkplugs, but the wrong ones! In 2005, the specs for the plugs changed. They plugs that were in the motor were for a 2004.

The stumble is gone and the car runs fine now.

My point is, were the wrong sparkplugs installed in the Strom's motor?

Just a thought.

B.L.

·
38,104 Posts
Yeah, but the problem existed before the plugs were changed in this case.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts