StromTrooper banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been noticing recently that I am having a harder time balancing my wee when stopping than I used to have. It seems like when I pull up to a stop sign, stop light or the gate at work the bike is more off balance than normal. I've checked the tire pressure. What else could cause this? Anybody else experienced it?

The tires are trailwings with about 7,000 miles on them. They don't have a lot of tread left, but I don't see any cupping or anything odd.

I'm trying to decide if it's the tires, just in my head, or something else wrong.

·
Premium Member
412 Posts
Do you have luggage? If so, is the load in it balanced (left to right)? If not that could throw you off.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Soak your ears with "over the counter", (dilute), hydrogen perixide for 1 minute and flush the wax balls/ spent solution with water using a baby nose suction thingy.
Your balance degrades with age, but really the wax buildup can be an issue too, it is for me. Seriously.

Could be a contributing factor .

Dave

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
A change in where you are looking will do it too. Look far ahead, like at the horizon, and you're fine. Look down, like at the line you're supposed to stop by, and things get wobbly.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Right now I have a top-box with almost nothing in it. So, the load is balanced.

It still doesn't feel right when I look at the horizon.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Toss the tires in the landfill and don't look back.

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
I'm trying to decide if it's the tires, just in my head, or something else wrong.
I'd vote for "in your head." Inner ear, to be precise. Go see an ear doc and get a diagnosis.

·
Registered
490 Posts
You may have lost one of the rubber bumpers under the seat which can cause you to sit slightly off centre (the seat is no longer totally level).

·
Registered
280 Posts
I think I'll add a second factor.... often problems aren't so simplistic.
Your distracted. :thumbup: Get yourself down into neutral or 1st sooner, then focus on your stop.

But don't forget to get your ears right.:thumbup:

dave

·
Registered
60 Posts
Are you squeezing the tank with your knees? If your legs are 'loose' on the bike, your ability to control/balance it at slow speeds is greatly reduced.

And ditto the rear brake comment. For low speed maneuvers you should be using the rear brake, not the front.

·
Premium Member
3,191 Posts
Ever since I've owned my Wee [2 years!], I've noticed it has a tendency to weave [an unbalanced feeling] slightly in the 0-2 mph zone, when you're just about to come to a stop. I've gotten used to it, but as my tires wear down it's more noticeable.

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
I am pretty short and some time, I feel the wobble too. I have to concentrate more on this bike when coming to a stop than on my Triumph. It's worse if I am tired or especially loaded down on a long trip at the end of a long day. I do have to deliberately use the rear brake in the 0-2 MPH zone to get a smooth stop. On top of the bike being top-heavy, I feel the steering is pretty twitchy at slower speeds and I think this contributes to this wobbly feel.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
I agree with the concentration aspect. Keep your mind focused on the stop, then look at traffic.

I disagree with gripping the tank. I don't want the muscle tension. I want my body loose to be able to balance better, and if necessary, let the bike move around a bit while my upper body remains stable.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Tires can have a big impact. I had the same experience on my ST1300 running Metzler tires. When I switch to Avons, there was a huge improvement in very slow speed balance.

·
Banned
4,057 Posts
Soak your ears with "over the counter", (dilute), hydrogen perixide for 1 minute and flush the wax balls/ spent solution with water using a baby nose suction thingy.
Your balance degrades with age, but really the wax buildup can be an issue too, it is for me. Seriously.

Could be a contributing factor .

Dave
The sense of balance we have is indeed driven by the inner ear, but the system is purely inertial and has nothing to do with wax buildup on the outside of the eardrum.

I don't know what's causing it; if I had to guess I'd say "alcohol" or an infection.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
duck may know more about the ears than I. But, I would offer that my father had his inner ears messed up by having way too much antibiotics shot into him intraveneously due to a very nasty intestinal infection from a perforated colon.

After recovering, his balance was toast and he fell over on his bike a few times. He even had issues with driving a car to some extent. After much work and study on his ears...the first thing the docs looked at, they told him...sorry your old and we can not help you.

he bought a Gold wing trike and lived with it for a few more years...then passed away.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Whenever I feel like my stops are less than adequate it almost always is that I fail to look ahead, far ahead of the bike. My tendency is to pick the spot on the pavement where I want the front tire to come to a stop. The result is usually a wobbly ending. Now what I do is scan my stopping location for oil, gravel, etc. while making my approach. Once I know it is clear/clean I focus on the horizon or far ahead of me. Of course this must also include a traffic scan at some point in the stopping routine.

One of my MSF instructors had to tell me several times to keep my knees in. That helps quite a bit as well. Keeps my body more compact thereby helping to control my balance.

This is a basic but really good topic. Being new to riding I like to "grade" myself on these sort of things.

Good luck!

1 - 20 of 47 Posts