StromTrooper banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm needing to replace the chain on my '09 Wee and am curious which ones are the best for the Wee with stock sprockets.

I've search the site and haven't found much.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
The D.I.D. Chain is most often thought of as the best but they are $$. The OEM chain last for many over 20k. I am using the one from Blair at SV Racing and it's very good . I would suggest any of the 3 are sound choices

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
New stock sprockets :)thumbup:) or used stock sprockets :)thumbdown:)? Anyway, the choice of sprockets doesn't effect the choice of chain. New stock sprockets are very good quality.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The sprockets on the bike are the original Zuk items and appear to be fine. No wear or taper.
On the chains, I should be looking for a 525, is that correct?

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Also, o-ring vs x-ring? what's the difference in performance, maintenance, life expectancy, etc?

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I used an EK chain with sun star sprockets and it works. got 31000 from the stock chain and 28000 miles from the second stock chain with sun star sprockets. Those are O-ring chains. The EK chain is an X ring but haven't run it long enough to know the longevity. i do know it's very noisey compared to the DID O-ring stock chain. Will not use another EK. All were and are 525 chains.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info.

Will I need a chain tool or something with an aftermarket chain?

·
Registered
60 Posts
You need a chain tool for every chain, OEM or aftermarket, unless you plan on removing the rear swingarm.

The OEM chain is the DID 525V[8]. DID has different quality chains for the 525 size, see their spec sheet. As far as I can tell, the DID 525VM2 is widely recommended as a replacement for the OEM chain.

When I was looking for it, the 525VM2 was only available in gold, which felt wrong for a dual sport bike... (not sure why people are crazy about gold chains).

So I went for the DID 525ZVMX which is overkill for the bike but I was very satisfied with it. Unfortunately, the lifetime of the bike was shorter than that of the chain, but for as long as I was using it, it was very quiet and I never had to adjust the chain (no stretching whatsoever).

With the wide variation of mileage that people report on their chains, I think that riding style and maintenance habits are much more significant than X vs. O etc. Wouldn't worry too much about it.

It is recommended to always use new sprockets with a new chain because their wear in together. Using the old sprockets might shorten the lifespan of your new chain. I always use OEM sprockets, particularly to have the rubber damping in the front sprocket.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts