StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used to own a Katana. The aerodynamics were weird.

It was a great bike with a full-face helmet, but with a half-helmet I just about got a concussion at highway speeds. Something about the aerodynamics.

Has anyone used a Wee with a half-helmet in the 60-80 MPH range?

Thanks, Dave

P.S.--I normally have a full-face when I hit the superslab, but once in a while I got out for my morning coffee (in town), then decide to go elsewhere on a whim.

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
Locations of head impacts during a study of motorcycle helmets by the university hospital of Hanover.

Would your looks be improved by sliding face-first along pavement "in the 60-80 MPH range?" My wife says it'd be 50-50 in my case, but she doesn't want to be the one feeding me for the rest of my life if I don't have a face. If you get profoundly disabled and stuck in a nursing home due to an impact on the lower back of your head, I don't want to pay taxes to fund your Medicaid costs...just selfish of me, I guess.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Locations of head impacts during a study of motorcycle helmets by the university hospital of Hanover.

Would your looks be improved by sliding face-first along pavement "in the 60-80 MPH range?" My wife says it'd be 50-50 in my case, but she doesn't want to be the one feeding me for the rest of my life if I don't have a face. If you get profoundly disabled and stuck in a nursing home due to an impact on the lower back of your head, I don't want to pay taxes to fund your Medicaid costs...just selfish of me, I guess.
I think this is from the Hurt Study published in 1981. The study looked at ~4500 accidents from the L.A region.

Summary: The Hurt Study Summary - webBikeWorld

Considering bikes and cars are a lot more sophisticated in the last 29 years, I wonder how many of the studies findings have changed.

There is also a lot more training these days where as before you could drop $20 and upgrade your license classification without a road test.

I believe in full ATGATT and full face helms, just wondering what has changed. Three decades is a long time...

I fully agree with you regarding half helms, misplaced faces on pavement and covering the hospital fees :(

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, Mom!

Seriously ... just a few points ...

You are right. I should be wearing a full-face all the time. I think the stats are that in a wreck, the probability is about 40% that the chin and lower face area will be involved, and I don't know the stats for the lower area in the back of the head. The point you are making is very valid.

However, the benefits of helmets may be overstated.

Experienced riders don't get in that many accidents. I've been riding for about 4 years, and I've been in three incidents, all in the first year of riding, that put me in contact with the ground. A helmet did not help in any of them. You usually need to going at a fair rate of speed or else get thrown from the bike to hit your head. A medium-speed low-side accident won't normally do it. Not that many accidents fit the profile where the head contacts a hard surface.

Many accidents are so catastrophic that the helmet won't save your life; or worse yet, might allow you to be vegetable when you should have died.

I don't argue that helmets are useful ... just that there may not be very good stats on HOW useful.

However, I'm aware of two people in my sphere of acquaintances who had their life saved by a full-face. One popped at tire at 70 MPH and slid face-down on the concrete and off the road. He had no injuries to his face except a small cut where the gravel had bounced through the opening (maybe the visor got ground down or he had a full-face plus sunglasses). Anyway, he would have had no face left and probably also been brain-dead without the helmet. As things turned out, he woke up later in a hospital and made a full recovery, although it took a while.

So, if I hit the superslab after my morning coffee ... the full-face would be a good idea, but the world won't normally stop turning if I break that rule from time to time.

I still am curious about the aerodynamics of the Wee with a half-helmet ...

Thanks, Dave A.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Thanks, Mom!
I still am curious about the aerodynamics of the Wee with a half-helmet ...

Thanks, Dave A.
To answer your question. I think you will find a half helmet very loud due to wind noise, and the dreaded buffeting will be more noticeable too. :headbang: Even some full face are loud. For sound comparison check here Motorcycle Helmet Noise - webBikeWorld

·
$tromtrooper
2,378 Posts
I wear a 3/4 on my commute. Rain hurts, but no real problems with a Givi and madstad.

·
Registered
3,879 Posts
I wear a 3/4 with built on shield in the summer and a FF in the winter. I hate the FF except to keep the cold out.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I wear a Jimmy Retro (3/4ish, but a minimal 3/4) to commute on hot days. Last weekend I decided it was hot enough to wear it on a 250 mile ride with quite a bit of state highway. Over 70mph true, the helmet was an annoying passenger being held on by the chinstrap. I longed for my full face the entire trip. It is solely a commuter now. I think the aeros on the Strom may be similar to your Katana exerience. I even took off the little "ball cap" visor...just made it worse.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Yup, 3/4 helmet for my commute too. Half-helmets are gay... I didn't wear one even when I rode my HD. Maybe I'm too practical?? Stick with a 3/4 for the runs down the block and in town.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Experienced riders don't get in that many accidents. I've been riding for about 4 years, and I've been in three incidents, all in the first year of riding, that put me in contact with the ground. A helmet did not help in any of them. You usually need to going at a fair rate of speed or else get thrown from the bike to hit your head. A medium-speed low-side accident won't normally do it. Not that many accidents fit the profile where the head contacts a hard surface.

3 Accidents in 4 years? Glad your OK, but maybe you should subscribe to ATGATT. I never expect an accident I might be in to be minor. It is your choice of course, but it doesn't take much of a bump to break your jaw, or worse, break your brain.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
To answer your question. I think you will find a half helmet very loud due to wind noise, and the dreaded buffeting will be more noticeable too. :headbang: Even some full face are loud. For sound comparison check here Motorcycle Helmet Noise - webBikeWorld
A judge I work with rode a rental DL1000 for a week, a real change from his 'Wing on which he wears a half helmet. He said the head rattling cost him a pair of glasses and made his false teeth hurt. He borrowed a full-face at some point in the ride and found it better.

I still can't get him to go full face on his "Wing.

Oh, and with great respect - four years and three crashes - you're a poster child for ATGATT. Twenty-five years and no road crashes (touching wood now) and I still couldn't comprehend what would cause me to want to wear less than a full face helmet.

The Hurt report and a number of subsequent studies found that the most common motorcycle crashes in which riders were injured occurred when a car crossed the path of the motorcycle, causing the motorcyclist to either impact the car face first or go over the car and land face or head first. Hands don't automatically go out to break the rider's fall as the wrists and forearms tend to be injured and left trailing behind. Speed of travel was not considered to be a significant factor in the causes of the crashes - typically below the speed limit.

Seriously, do a little homework on helmets with better airflow if it's the hothead factor that compels you to want to go with a half helmet. The new Bell Star is considered about as good as it gets for airflow in a standard full-face, and you'll get significantly more airflow again with a dual-sport helmet like an Arai XD3. Heck, you'd be better with any dirtbike helmet for that matter.

·
Registered
3,879 Posts
Twenty-five years and no road crashes (touching wood now) and I still couldn't comprehend what would cause me to want to wear less than a full face helmet.
Come down here and ride every day throughout the summer. Even the best venting FF doesn't vent near as good as a 3/4.

Kinda strange that all the road accidents I've been associated with has never resulted in any facial damage with a 3/4 used, nor have the ones where a FF was used showed any marks on the chin bar. Not saying it won't or couldn't happen, but that study doesn't agree with personal experience.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
My freinds brother in law high sided a gwing (no lid...but he "always wore one") that he rode to the corner ice cream joint. Literally a few miles. The impact was estimated to be less than 25 mph. He lived on life support for almost 1.5 years bankrupting his family in the process. They pulled his tube so to say.

I won't leave my drive with less than a FF on. I ride open shield with safety glasses and I seldom get hot. I have a beenie for trail riding my ATV, where I may be inclined to smoke a cigar or consume a bubbly beverage. But 2 whellin is serious buisness.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
I wore a 3/4 when I got my Strom.

There was a lot of uplift with the stock windsheild and mount.

It wasn't long before I got a flip-up - what I'd consider a viable compromise.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Come down here and ride every day throughout the summer. Even the best venting FF doesn't vent near as good as a 3/4.

Kinda strange that all the road accidents I've been associated with has never resulted in any facial damage with a 3/4 used, nor have the ones where a FF was used showed any marks on the chin bar. Not saying it won't or couldn't happen, but that study doesn't agree with personal experience.
I can't argue with your experience. For me to ride without a full face I may as well ride with no helmet at all.

·
Registered
480 Posts
All I've worn with my last three bikes is a half helmet. I have over 40k on the vee, stock windshield, half-helmet w/ the ear flaps, and clear safety glasses. I have no problem with buffeting, but do have to pull over occasionally to dump a bug or two! I have gone long distances without the ear flaps and wore ear plugs .

·
Premium Member
3,722 Posts
That's pretty much saying anything less than a FF is useless, which is at best - absurd.
I agree with Don. I won't get on a bike without a full-face helmet. If that makes it absurd then so be it, it's my face.

·
Registered
3,879 Posts
I agree with Don. I won't get on a bike without a full-face helmet. If that makes it absurd then so be it, it's my face.
It's not absurd that anyone prefer a FF helmet. To equate wearing anything less, to wearing nothing, is.

·
Premium Member
3,722 Posts
It's not absurd that anyone prefer a FF helmet. To equate wearing anything less, to wearing nothing, is.
I am making that equation. To me, as far as what I personally use, wearing anything less than a full-face helmet (with the shield DOWN) is about the same as wearing nothing. I'll make some concessions for a 3/4 helmet, even though they are not the equal of a full-face helmet, but those little beanie thingies protect virtually nothing except the very top of the head.

Apparently AMA, FIM, and WSBK agree to since not one single on-road class allows anything less than a full-face helmet with face shield.

Sorry OP, this is off your original topic. I've had my say, I'm done with it.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts