StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had ordered the Happy Trails luggage rack, but when it got here I was underwhelmed by the lack of herkiness. So I decided to fab up my own pannier racks, with 40mm ammo cans.

I returned the Happy Trails rack and got my $130 back, and got some 1"x1"x1/8" angle iron and welded up my own a couple of weeks ago.

Since these pics were taken, I've welded some little tiedowns to the lids of the ammo cans. they are just some square U bolts that have had the bottoms cut off. You can see in some of the photos I have two already tacked on. Ran out of welding wire on the Saturday I took the pics, and everyone in town that was open on Sunday was out. Also, if I had it to do over again, I wouldn't have had the cans sit canted quite so far forward, but oh well they work dandy.

The locking mechanism on the cans is just some eye bolts bolted through the can under each handle, with a set of four matched padlocks in em.

The plan is to put a 1 gallon Rotopax gas tank in between the left can and the bike itself (and maybe a tool tube). Total width is right at 39 inches.

The best part is I can fit two 12 packs of beer bottles on end inside each can, with a 12 pack of cans in a fridge pack on top!!!! :var_17:

I know they ain't the purdiest, but $37 for the whole shmeer sure beats the $150 for the happy trails racks, let alone the seven-hundred plus for a fancy system...

They attach using the 4 bolts for the rack/passenger grab handles, a bolt in each passenger footpeg bracket, and the rear crossmember is bolted to the rear fender using the license plate bolts, but these two are not structural...just there to keep the fender from rattling against the crossmember.

Next time I have the whole thing off the bike (undo those 8 bolts and everything just lifts off the back of the bike) I'll grab some pics of it so you can see the actual mounting points.

Cheers!

Ed

·
Cat Herder
2,480 Posts
Very nice setup. And it's not that wide either.

I can't remember if you posted it elsewhere, but what do you say the weight of the whole setup is? Also, how did you attach the cans to your rack?

Thanks!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Very nice setup. And it's not that wide either.

I can't remember if you posted it elsewhere, but what do you say the weight of the whole setup is? Also, how did you attach the cans to your rack?

Thanks!
Thanks! I'm not sure about the weight...I'm sure it's not the lightest setup out there, but I had been looking at the Caribou Cases system, with uses the Pelican cases. My buddy has a pelican case that's the same series as the ones Caribou uses, and we weighed it and one of the ammo cans, and the can was only a few pounds heavier the the pelican. I'm sure some of those aluminum cases would be even lighter, but you can't beat $12 for a ammo can, and I guarantee it'll survive a slide down the road much better than aluminum or plastic!

I made rectangular frames out of angle iron, and the ammo cans sit flush against this and get through-bolted to it.

·
Registered
153 Posts
and your not selling these... why?

haha... Good strong setup. Looks good.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
and your not selling these... why?

haha... Good strong setup. Looks good.
Lol lack of proper equipment. I hacked these out with an angle grinder, so some of the angle cuts are somewhat less then exact. Plus, I'm not that great of a welder...sometimes I still struggle with a pretty bead, so I slather it on and then grind it down to a reasonable size :bom_veryangry2:

·
Premium Member
1,048 Posts
Nice job and it looks very professional but in those colours, does it make it a B Strom?

Reactions: Kellashnikov

·
Registered
90 Posts
Good Job Mr. Ed! After searching, thinking, and some creative visualization, I decided to also fab my own pannier racks also. I used 3/4x3/4x1/8 angle on mine because they are smaller and in short pieces the angle is really strong. I have to wait a few days to get the ammo cans(lack of funds:mad:). I'll post these pics and then ones w/ the cans on. I still have to fab a cross brace for the rear. Comments welcome and appreciated!

STROMVADER:mod2_gunsmilie:

·
Registered
90 Posts
Here are the pics

Attachments

·
Registered
90 Posts
More pics of the racks

Attachments

·
Registered
962 Posts
Nice Job and looks great.

I see a tractor in one of the pics. Now go mow your lawn..:bom_shy:

Ken

·
Registered
517 Posts
Does the fact that these cans are pretty heavy bother you at all? How does it make the bike handle? I am asking because I am considering doing the same thing as it is much cheaper than buying an aftermarket setup. But I am a little worried about weight.

·
Registered
90 Posts
The cans I'm looking at are not too heavy because they aren't gargantuan. I'll post my results, as far as weight and how it all feels. The can dim. are as follows:11"Widex6"Deepx16"High. Here is a pic of the cans. I'll grind and cut all unnecessary handles etc. and install my own u-bolts as tie down points. My grass won't stop growing, even though we've had no rain!

Attachments

·
Registered
90 Posts
I imagine I'll have $60 into them when all is said and done. I used Mr. Eds pics(thank you ed) as a guide and reference. Took about 6 hours, taking my time and not rushing. The cans are $40 for both and the angle was $10 for a 20' stick. I only used half, so $5 on angle. The other $15 will go towards hardware, etc.. Sorry for the crappy cell phone pic!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Well, I borrowed a few bucks and got my cans. They are actually really light(approx 5lbs). Got em painted and mounted. Just need some stickers and add the rear brace! They are cavernous and the seals are good too. Much to my surprise, I don't feel too much of a difference. We'll see when they are loaded down.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Oh yeah, pics:cursing:

Attachments

·
Registered
517 Posts
Thanks for the info. I think I might have ordered cans that are a little on the big side.....:eek:hmy:

We'll see I guess.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Nice Cans, a little bigger than mine, but it's not the size but how you use them :p
I like the lock idea, do the locks make any noise flapping around when you're riding it?
Has anyone thought about painting these with a "rhino liner" type product?

·
Registered
90 Posts
I was thinking Rhino liner on top for traction when strapping down stuff. Maybe a little sound dampening too!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Yeah, under the same user name. Also on Cherokee forum. Thanks for noticing the Xj. I assume you are too because only cherokee heads refer to them as XJ's! Tons of good info on both. Pirate is funny too.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts