StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm still curious about this 650 that has me intrigued. A couple more questions, if I may--

Cruising along at 70mph, 1 up, and a "normal" load for a trip of a couple thousand miles. Does the 650 struggle, or does it breeze along no trouble? I mean, can it handle steep long grades? Does the throttle have to be cranked open pretty far with the engine working hard to keep at it? Does it have a lot of reserve still left?

If I get with a group who like to ride at 75 - 80, can the 650 breeze along, or is it running right at the top of its ability?

Another question about RPMs at 70mph. With normal sprocket, what RPMs does the tach show?

·
Registered
267 Posts
If I get with a group who like to ride at 75 - 80, can the 650 breeze along, or is it running right at the top of its ability?

Another question about RPMs at 70mph. With normal sprocket, what RPMs does the tach show?
In 6th gear it's about 4k rpm at 70. Might be 5k rpm at 80. I was breezing along with 2 sport bikes last weekend at 75 mph no problem at all and..... comfortable!

I don't know about long hills - not many here in IL!

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
It will handle a real 75mph, 82 indicated, going up roads in the Rockies in 6th gear at 6000rpm with a full luggage load.

·
Registered
394 Posts
75 on a long steep grade? It does it OK. But, it is definitely working hard. At its limits.

In the Illinois flatlands no problem though.

If you are asking this question, you need a vee.

I did this last year with some guys on litre bikes and regretted it.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Its definitely busy at a true 70 mph. It will do it all day long but theres not that much left. I clocked mine at a top speed (gps) of 105. Given enough time and open space I might have got a little more there was plenty of tach left just nothing in the way of power.
You will be able to do it, I did with my friend on our trip for lots of miles but I can't say that I enjoyed it.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I had to double check to make sure I wasn't back on a Ninja 250 site. These are the type of questions and answers you see for the little Ninja. It can do 105 if you give it enough time on a flat road, but it will be working hard (I'm talking about the Ninja 250).

As for the Wee, it is a great bike and can get up to the posted speed limit fast enough without much effort. If you have to worry about keeping up with a group of sport bikes, then you are not riding your own ride. I guess this is why I enjoy going on solo rides, as I don't have to worry about the other guys (whether they are slower or faster than I am).

·
Premium Member
928 Posts
JimR: you must have a larger front sprocket, like 17T. With a 16T front, showing 70, you're turning 4700. With the stock sprocket, 5,100.

From my experience, the bike has plenty of power for loaded highway speeds, plus, hills and all. The motor is very content to turn at 6,000 on the highway which yields a true 73 or so. The main difference between a Wee and a litre bike is the need to downshift. I never mind doing that. Puts a smile on my face. 5th gear will bring you right up to 95 mph in short order. :mrgreen:
The other difference that is always there: 10 + miles per gallon better fuel economy compared to a DL1000. I'll take downshifting any day. :thumbup:

·
Registered
15,544 Posts
Sport bikes have half again the horse power, easy. Will the bike keep up, maybe, if you flog it.
If you want to run with the big dogs, get a big dog bike. If you want a really good all purpose bike, get a Wee. Know where they are going and meet them there. You won't be far behind and they will have the ticket collection, not you!

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
based on your scenario

get one of the 1300 cc or thereabouts touring bikes, good value on the used market.

or fly out here to SF and rent on of each type from Dubbleju, then make up your mind.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I find that it will do 80 without issue BUT you can tell the engine is working. There isn't excessive vibration but you can hear and feel that the engine is working hard.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
It will handle a real 75mph, 82 indicated, going up roads in the Rockies in 6th gear at 6000rpm with a full luggage load.
Keep in mind that this was at elevation---maybe 8000' to 10,000' with a power loss of 3% per 1000'--and 2500 rpm below the power peak.

From my experience, the bike has plenty of power for loaded highway speeds, plus, hills and all. The motor is very content to turn at 6,000 on the highway which yields a true 73 or so. The main difference between a Wee and a litre bike is the need to downshift. I never mind doing that. Puts a smile on my face. 5th gear will bring you right up to 95 mph in short order.
This mirrors my experience. The engine is happy to spin up at higher rpms. We get so comfortable at mid rpms that the rider is cautious about higher rpms.

Vangky, what you won't have is the rocket acceleration the big-engine bikes have. You will have their speed (under 100--over 100 the chassis design is iffy, and the bikes that'll run 140 don't like to plunk along rocky trails).

·
Registered
195 Posts
I ride with a guy who has a rocket 3 , and to be honest , i would have to admit he is a far better rider than i am , , Now when i'm on my rocket we blast along, and sometimes when were in the mood ,its a hectic pace , and i stick with him , until we hit the tight hilly , stuff , then i just let him go and don't even bother trying to keep up , but straight roads , sweepers , when its the bike not the rider , i am up his ass.

However when i'm on the v strom 650 , in the tight twisty hills i'm up his ass all the way, in fact a lot of the time i leave him behind , but has soon has the road opens up , bang like a bullet he's gone , he's hitting 140-160 klm before i can blink , but bear in mind, thats only for a short period , because if your gonna, go doing them speeds , all the time you will not have a liscence long ,,

The v strom can hit 120 klm very quick for a 650 , and most of all, stay there ,all day everyday, and do it very easy ,

I was very suprised at how quick, it is for a small engine , hence the reason i bought it , when i test rode it, i was not even in the market for a v strom , i had a bonnie has my second bike , and visiting a dealer to look at other stuff ,the owner threw me the keys to his demo model , and virtually insisted i have a ride , nothing else better to do i took him up on it , and 30 minuites later i traded my 18 month old bonnie in for it .

But like others said , if its 80mph plus you want to be going at , buy a bigger bike , go the rocket that will sit on 100 mph all day ,

·
Administrator
13,749 Posts
80 to 90 mph real speed is no issue on the DL650. I did it for two and a half days and 2,000 miles a couple of summers ago on my 2006. My commuting involves riding at 75 to 85 mph each day. Simply not an issue on my 2012 DL650 or in the past on my 2006 DL650.

..Tom

·
Premium Member
7,202 Posts
My typical highway speed is an indicated 80 (about 6K RPM) or an actual 72 MPH.

I have yet to run out of throttle at those speeds. I've run up both the East and West sides of the Sierra Nevada and not had a problem.

Running at 6K RPM I average about 50 MPG with saddlebags, top box and tank bag.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
A lot of very useful info from you gents!
Thanks a bunch!

Each post had something that helps me understand what this bike is about.
As best I can tell from what y'all have posted, this Wee is about the same as my old VN750 for engine performance. I've been really happy with that old bike, so this Wee might be the replacement ticket for me.

I never (almost never) ride in a group, but knowing how it compares to a group, gives me a good idea of how it runs.

I like maxing at 65 (just personal desire to enjoy the passing scenery).
I DO ride in the mountains a lot. So I have to handle passing on up grades (dumb-ass 4-wheel tourists in the way!).

Good fuel economy is important to me (California has the highest gas prices in the nation, even though a lot of the crude is pumped out of here!)

I don't care too much about quick acceleration. Although I sorta like slipping up alonside the big Harley torque hogs at a signal and letting them glance over at me--some of them actually nod almost politely. They look straight ahead at the next signal when they've worked HARD to gain only a bike length on my little 750 Kawi. I then nod politely at them. They have a hard time keeping a scowl off their faces at that point. And when we get on the freeways they sorta suck it up when we split lanes (legal here) and I cruise right on by them while they try to get their big hog turning and twisting between cars. But of course the long grades, even with 2 up, they keep right on cruising... But I turn off on a side road anyway.

And those side roads are where I think the Wee can way outdo my VN750. Especially when it gets into a muddy rut and I have to try to get it back on its feet again. The only way I've ever been able to do that is with a lot of "supportive language". I've had to do that a few times. So I'm thinking the 650 will be a lot easier on my vocabulary (and bad knees) when/if I ever drop it in the mud.

Once again, I thank all of you for your helpful perspectives.
Angky

·
Registered
30 Posts
As I understand,the 650 is geared to do 20 k.p.h/1000 rpm,speedo is optimistic,but rev counter is accurate.

·
Premium Member
696 Posts
I've longed for more power only once in my several years of riding a wee. It was way back on my first trip when I encountered 30-40 mph headwinds. I haven't encountered that strong of wind since but having more experience than I did then, I know to downshift and let the revs run a little higher than I normally would and the wee will pull through fine. I also now know that when wind that strong becomes a gusty crosswind that it is time to pull off the road.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts