StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently I have been experiencing advert pop-ups when browsing this site. From the attachment, there links being added to random words.
When the mouse curser is moved / passes over any of these "links", the pop-up advert hi-jacks the site page and shows the advert.

These pop up advert links spoil any visit to this site.:furious:
Anyone else having the same issue or is it some setting that I have to change on Google Chrome for Windows.
Any advice?
PS If this pop-up ad thing is something approved by this site, then so be it, but if not....

Attachments

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Recently I have been experiencing advert pop-ups when browsing this site. From the attachment, there links being added to random words.

When the mouse curser is moved / passes over any of these "links", the pop-up advert hi-jacks the site page and shows the advert.

These pop up advert links spoil any visit to this site.:furious:

Anyone else having the same issue or is it some setting that I have to change on Google Chrome for Windows.

Any advice?

PS If this pop-up ad thing is something approved by this site, then so be it, but if not....

I'm almost positive that's Malware and first thing you should do I download Malwarebytes and see it that rids the problem. If that doesn't do it, see if you can restore the computer to an earlier date. If that doesn't work, back up anything important (hopefully you don't have any important stuff) and format the HDD. Anytime I've gotten a virus I couldn't get rid of I always just wiped my HDD out and reinstalled Windows. Malwarebytes should do the trick though. This should help...
https://malwaretips.com/blogs/remove-text-enhance-virus/

·
Registered
569 Posts
As above, you have picked up an annoying virus which keep directing you to other sites.
Malwarebytes is a good programme to try and fix this otherwise may need to take your computer to a professional to get it fixed.
Very annoying.

·
Premium Member
1,925 Posts
I also recommend Malwarebytes and also AVG or similar virus protection plus I use Adblock Plus which will intercept pop-ups.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,049 Posts
Malwarebytes is free for a 14 day trial. It's a great addition to anti virus programs to clean up a computer. Windows users can also recover their systems from a restore date prior to the time the machine was infected.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanx for the advice on how to get rid of this malware / virus.
Somehow despite the running Avast Home, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit, I also run GoogleAdBlocker, the virus still managed to get through. What can I say...

I have now included Adwcleaner_5.022 and ShellExView to help detect malware, still no luck in resolving the matter.

Well, looks like I am going to have to re-format my hard drive and re-load everything from scratch.

A lot of work but let's hope for the best...

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Thanx for the advice on how to get rid of this malware / virus.

Somehow despite the running Avast Home, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit, I also run GoogleAdBlocker, the virus still managed to get through. What can I say...

I have now included Adwcleaner_5.022 and ShellExView to help detect malware, still no luck in resolving the matter.

Well, looks like I am going to have to re-format my hard drive and re-load everything from scratch.

A lot of work but let's hope for the best...

Before you do that restore to an earlier date as I mentioned above...

·
Registered
137 Posts
If you have malwarebytes, Google "Malwarebytes Chameleon". Only download it from the Malwarebytes.org/chameleon site. If you can, download it onto a thumb drive (with nothing important on it) on a different computer, since the virus may block the download/install. Then, put the thumbdrive on your computer and open the rundll32 file. What it does: a black box (DOS startup) appears with startup and prompts you to press any key to continue. According to my son, an aerospace engineer and computer geek extraordinaire, some viruses can detect if an antivirus program is opening and block it. With this, it allows Malwarebytes to run in startup mode and the virus can't see it coming, or something to that very simplistic effect. Whatever - it works! We had a very nasty virus that could not be eliminated until we tried this.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
25 Posts
If you can, download it onto a thumb drive (with nothing important on it) on a different computer, since the virus may block the download/install.

Hope this helps.
I keep copies of all the programs I use on a thumb drive to use just for this scenario. Update them all one a different computer before going to the affected machine.
I also disconnect the affected computer from the router to make it a stand alone machine when I'm fighting a malware infestation.

·
Super Moderator
16,867 Posts
Could also get a Mac and never have to worry about such nonsense. :)

·
38,049 Posts
Could also get a Mac and never have to worry about such nonsense. :)
That's a common fallacy. Lower popularity and closed architecture make malware less likely but never is way too strong a word.

·
Super Moderator
16,867 Posts
That's a common fallacy. Lower popularity and closed architecture make malware less likely but never is way too strong a word.
I was being a bit facetious, I should have said "almost never". :grin2:

·
38,049 Posts
I'm sure all the celebrities who had their pictures lifted off the iCloud will be comforted by that. :nerd:

·
Registered
20 Posts
I had the same problem earlier this summer.
It would hijack my iPad to the point I would have to do a hard reset to be able to use it again.
It only happened when I came to this site and I ended up not being able to use the forum.
Most of the time it happened so fast I wouldn't even get logged in.
I ended up checking back every few days or so until it quit, took a few weeks but suddenly as quickly as it started it quit.
Haven't had it for a few months now.
But I really need to stress, it only happened when I came to this forum so what ever it was had something to do with that.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Looks like all cured. My desktop browser is behaving itself... for now :) Thanx for the advice.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi Lee,

In my case at least, not always.
Sometimes the adds would hijack my iPad before I even got logged in.
Other times it would happen after but still fairly soon after.
I haven't had it happen for a few months but I knew exactlly what Gert was talking about when he posted.
Hope this helps.

·
Administrator
1,128 Posts
Hi Lee,

In my case at least, not always.
Sometimes the adds would hijack my iPad before I even got logged in.
Other times it would happen after but still fairly soon after.
I haven't had it happen for a few months but I knew exactlly what Gert was talking about when he posted.
Hope this helps.
Is this about pop up ads that show some kind of app?

Please take a screen shot of those and tell me which ipad you're using and copy and paste the URL.

Lee

·
Registered
20 Posts
If it happens again I'll do that Lee.
It was the sort where the popup tells you you've won something or such and there was no way to close the popup, you had to click on it to go any further, at which point I'd just do a hard reset.
And yes, I had pop up's blocked in settings, didn't seem to matter.
As for the iPad, third version of it, not sure what it was called officially.
Sorry I cant be more help.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts