StromTrooper banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please take the time to watch the video embedded below. Even though it is nearly 30 years old, the information contained within it is still contemporary to our time.

B.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Let's see, we only need a good rear tire, correct tire pressure, no loaded top box or panniers, to lay down on the tank and a BSR. Well I guess I can always eat more :yesnod: Interesting find though. Brave test riders taking their hands off the handlebars and also riding through a wobble that is so severe that it shakes their feet off the pegs

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
10 minutes and not even a hint at what actually CAUSES it. I've been on bikes up to 160 mph and can't say i ever experienced weave. has it been designed out of bikes since this video was made?

·
Registered
515 Posts
Neat video, wow, those two must have known what they were really doing on two wheels to be "weaving" up to 90 mph like that.

Thanks for posting...:beatnik:

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
I had a BMW R90S. It never wobbled. Watching the segment with uneven fork leg compression, all I could think of was it needed a fork brace.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
10 minutes and not even a hint at what actually CAUSES it. I've been on bikes up to 160 mph and can't say i ever experienced weave. has it been designed out of bikes since this video was made?
Largely so, yes. Having said that, my Vee has developed a bit of a weave since I made some suspension changes some years ago, at speeds (indicated) of around 160 and up. What's interesting is that the weave actually goes away when I'm cornering at those speeds, which suggests to me that my theory that there is insufficient sag at the front end might be correct (because the suspension compresses under cornering loads). But I might be way off.

Amazing to think that manufacturers actually sold bikes with such horrendous handling issues out of the box. Surely doing so today would be asking to be sued out of existence. I've always figured a bike should be reasonably safe and stable up to the maximum speed it is capable of based on its power and gearing. The Vee is actually electronically capped at about 200 km/h (125 mph) for just this reason - it's capable of more, but the handling may become dangerously unstable above (or even below, right Greywolf?) that speed.

·
38,103 Posts
electronically capped at about 200 km/h (125 mph) for just this reason - it's capable of more, but the handling may become dangerously unstable above (or even below, right Greywolf?) that speed.
Adding a big windscreen and putting too much weight in a top box will bring the danger speed down significantly.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Although, my bike actually does develop a "weave" as opposed to the bikes in the video above, which I would call more of a "speed wobble" or imminent tank slapper. The weave my bike develops is of a much lower frequency than in the video. I had a bike (with a bent frame) years ago that would go into speed wobbles like that. I actually found the same thing - rolling off the throttle would make it worse, but shifting my weight (like laying down on the tank) would quell it, at which point I could slow down.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Thanks more than you can imagine BL. I learned one very important lesson nobody ever told me. You may just save a live with your post. If your bike goes unstable at speed, just hug the tank and let it decelerate naturally on its own.

I also suspected other things that the video eludes to. Rear tires worn flat and car tires could aggravate the issue when combined with new front tires. And a fork brace is not just jewelry.

Again thanks for this one.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Over the labor day weekend my son and I were coming home from a camping trip to Crater Lake. We were heavily loaded and passing a string of cars trying to outrun a rain storm. He was on his 84 gl1200 and was on my 07 vee. I got up to about 105 mph and my bike began a side to side movement that stopped as soon as I got off the gas. I put it down to too fast for the load. I was on relatively new tires and I have a fork brace.

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Over the labor day weekend my son and I were coming home from a camping trip to Crater Lake. We were heavily loaded and passing a string of cars trying to outrun a rain storm. He was on his 84 gl1200 and was on my 07 vee. I got up to about 105 mph and my bike began a side to side movement that stopped as soon as I got off the gas. I put it down to too fast for the load. I was on relatively new tires and I have a fork brace.
You are relatively new here. Greywolf has a great story to tell about traveling at that speed on a DL-650. Maybe he will post a link to the original story, into this thread.

I am glad that you didn't have a mishap!

B.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
My 1970 Kawasaki 350 A7 standard road bike didn't weave nor wobble.

One stone = fourteen pounds

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Very much appreciate you posting that video, BlackLab. I've only hit weave like that once and now I better understand it.

·
Premium Member
1,929 Posts
My Wee had a decel wobble at 45mph but it was cured with a new front tire. Now it pulls to the left if I let go of the bars.

·
38,103 Posts
My Wee had a decel wobble at 45mph but it was cured with a new front tire. Now it pulls to the left if I let go of the bars.
Check your rear axle alignment, and not just with the marks. They may be off.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts