StromTrooper banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Friday morning on the way to work an unattentive driver made a left turn from a side street and forced me off of the roadway. I caught sight of him at the last minute and hit the emergency lane to my right in an attempt to avoid him. But his SUV turned wide and he was partly in the emergency lane also so the only out I had was the shoulder grass. With it being wet Bermuda Grass it was like ice so I low sided my KTM at about 45MPH. After sliding around 75 feet I finally came to a stop and started gathering my senses.

I looked up and noticed the driver that ran me off the road had stopped too and was checking on me. He was almost in tears because he said that he never saw me! (Which I find unsettling because I wear a Hi-Viz jacket and ride with high beam head lights on during the daytime.) He only heard tire screeching and saw me going down. The typical statement but I was just happy that he stopped. Once I got my senses back I checked myself out and found that I was just sore in my hip and shoulders for the ground contact but everything moved! It looked like my riding gear had taken the brunt of the impact. The armor in my jacket was in the correct places and it really saved me.

After getting the local PD and FD on scene. A collision report was filed and I felt well enough to ride the KTM home. It only sustained a small amount of damage to the hand guards, foot bracket and my tool tube. I went to the local urgent care and got a once over from the docs who only found some bruising. I felt very blessed.

So everyone if you ride wear the gear! I have always been a ATGATT person and this just reinforces my belief in proper gear. I don't have the best or most expensive but it works better than flip flops, t-shirts and shorts. :mrgreen:

Stay Safe! :beatnik:

·
Registered
900 Posts
Appreciate your taking the time to reinforce what we understand about ATGATT. Sounds like it saved your a** BIGtime!

Glad you're okay!

·
Registered
409 Posts
Thanks for the reminder. Glad you're OK and hopefully the driver of the SUV will be more aware of his surroundings at least for a little while. Always ride defensively and ATGATT....

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
Thanks for your report. It proves again that visibility is a big problem. Have you considered a headlight modulator? I am paranoid about not being seen and the modulator make drivers stare at me, so I hope it will make a difference.

Some additional thoughts about the problem (motion camouflage) are here:
http://www.stromtrooper.com/491579-post51.html

·
Registered
471 Posts
Thanks for the post we can all use a reminder. I'm glad you're OK..........TD

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Thanks for sharing your experience. It reinforces the fact that it's important to wear good protective gear when riding. My personal motto is "Dress for the fall, not for the ride."

·
Registered
173 Posts
ATGATT is the only way to go, high viz can help in some situations but not all as your post shows. We always have to drive for everybody else on the highway and glad to hear you survived to tell the story.

·
Administrator
13,741 Posts
Friday morning on the way to work an unattentive driver made a left turn from a side street and forced me off of the roadway. I caught sight of him at the last minute and hit the emergency lane to my right in an attempt to avoid him. But his SUV turned wide and he was partly in the emergency lane also so the only out I had was the shoulder grass. With it being wet Bermuda Grass it was like ice so I low sided my KTM at about 45MPH. After sliding around 75 feet I finally came to a stop and started gathering my senses.

I looked up and noticed the driver that ran me off the road had stopped too and was checking on me. He was almost in tears because he said that he never saw me! (Which I find unsettling because I wear a Hi-Viz jacket and ride with high beam head lights on during the daytime.)
I'm glad you are okay!

Sounds like a classic SMIDSY situation. Take a look at the links in my signature to get some sense of why it happened and why step you can do that might help avoid it in the future.

Hi beams are counterproductive as they essentially blind the drivers and make it almost impossible for them to know a bike is coming at them, how fast it's going and where it is. High beams might have helped if you had a bike with lousy headlights but not on a Strom or any bike with good lights.

From what I have seen and read the benefits of HI-VIZ are very minor (if there are any at all) in a SMIDSY situation. People can see you a miile away but those people aren't the ones that are running into you. The SMIDSY crash is different in that it isn't just about people seeing you it is about the drivers perceiving you and understanding you are there and a threat. It involves different parts of the brain.

..Tom

·
Registered
20 Posts
Yes, need to remember wear the gear, ya never know when you'll need it!

Great to hear your OK and thanks for the reminder!

JIm

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
There was a time when I was one of the no helmet, t-shirt wearing Harley riders. I'd even been in a motorcycle accident once, and still went helmetless when PA repealed their helmet law. I'm glad that feeling of invincibility passed, and I put the armor on.

There were times out in the desert southwest in summer when I had to take off the jacket (or else melt), but it sure feels weird now if I'm on a bike without the gear.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Happy Birthday!

Happy Birthday, and be sure to celebrate NEXT Nov. 24th. I was out yesterday, and a friend said I "looked like a spaceman" with my gear on (which includes a protruding coiled wire for my electric vest & arm chaps) - complete with that hi-vis 'stuff.'

Glad you were able to ride it home, and it was rideable. Gladder yet that the doctor declared only bruises.

There are times, despite my efforts, I wonder whether I'm appearing in the "How Not to Be Seen" running-gag of the Pythons.

Let's all be careful out there.

"There is a saying of the elders’ that goes, 'Step from under the eaves and you’re a dead man. Leave the gate and the enemy is waiting.' This is not a matter of being careful." - Yamamoto Tsunetomo, Hagakure, published September 10, 1716

·
Registered
278 Posts
Just a reminder for everyone as a driver of a big truck there are huge blind spots to the sides of the truck behind mirrors and A pillars. So if you think someone is looking right at you. You might still be in their blind spot maybe behind a mirror or a A pillar. I'm in and out of side streets and parking lots all day and you wouldn't believe what can hide behind a mirror. My personal vehicle is a F150 and there are some major blind spots on it as well. Just something to think about as you come upon a vehicle waiting to turn no amount of high vis or headlights will help in that situation.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
15,542 Posts
RCinNC, took off the jacket to not melt? Balderdash.
If you had soaked a sweatshirt in water, or poured a big gulp cup of water over your shirt and buttoned up the jacket with the vents cracked, you'd have been cool and comfortable with the evaportive effect. I carry wet vest to use when it gets in the 90's+
Taking off the jacket just makes you loose your precious bodily fluids to the dry air...heat stroke follows.

·
Registered
646 Posts
RCinNC, took off the jacket to not melt? Balderdash.
If you had soaked a sweatshirt in water, or poured a big gulp cup of water over your shirt and buttoned up the jacket with the vents cracked, you'd have been cool and comfortable with the evaportive effect. I carry wet vest to use when it gets in the 90's+
Taking off the jacket just makes you loose your precious bodily fluids to the dry air...heat stroke follows.
If it really gets that hot why not wear MotorCross Body Armour? Much more protection than regular gear, just no weather protection.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm glad you are okay!

Sounds like a classic SMIDSY situation. Take a look at the links in my signature to get some sense of why it happened and why step you can do that might help avoid it in the future.

Hi beams are counterproductive as they essentially blind the drivers and make it almost impossible for them to know a bike is coming at them, how fast it's going and where it is. High beams might have helped if you had a bike with lousy headlights but not on a Strom or any bike with good lights.

From what I have seen and read the benefits of HI-VIZ are very minor (if there are any at all) in a SMIDSY situation. People can see you a miile away but those people aren't the ones that are running into you. The SMIDSY crash is different in that it isn't just about people seeing you it is about the drivers perceiving you and understanding you are there and a threat. It involves different parts of the brain.

..Tom

Hey Tom thanks for the read.

I was actually on my KTM LC4 Enduro. The headlight is really crappy so I run it on high beam only in the daytime. The headlight is no way close to my Vee, I don't even liking riding the bike at night. But Friday I wanted to run the KTM that morning so the carb cleaner I put in would finish the cleaning on the carb.

I scan pretty good and ride thinking that everyone is out to get me already. Mentally I had cleared that side street and was looking more at the up coming intersection when I think this guy just pulled up to his stop sign and prob didn't come to a complete stop. Im assuming though, but he did a quick checked thought it was clear and rolled on through out into the four lane roadway to get across quickly. This roadway is pretty busy due to all of the cut through traffic with the road construction on the near by Interstate.

The rest was just reactionary there isn't any time for one to think. I will be looking into a headlight modulator for the KTM now.

·
Administrator
13,741 Posts

The rest was just reactionary there isn't any time for one to think. I will be looking into a headlight modulator for the KTM now.
I saw three close calls that were SMIDSY type near-crashes. In all three cases the riders had modulators on.

Many people can mistake the modulator's dimming for a "go ahead" signal.
Other people think you are a police vehicle and pull over only to get real angry when they find you aren't.

I think they are one of those things that helps people see you when it doesn't matter but doesn't help at all in the SMIDSY situation.

..Tom

1 - 18 of 18 Posts