Strom Trooper banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was out riding today when one of the screws holding the chain guard came loose. This caused the metal plate on the inside of the guard to rub against the chain whenever I hit a bump in the road. There is some wear on the edge of the outer plate of the chain. Does the chain need to be replaced? Maybe I'm just being paranoid but I'm about to go on a long trip and I really don't want to break a chain halfway.

Picture attached for reference. A little bit of bare metal can be seen on the bottom of the outer plate. Looking at it from the edge it doesn't look like its reduced the thickness of the plate much. Bikes a 2018 DL650XT.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
It does not look like anything really happend to the chain, so I would not worry about it at all. The chain will eventually wear out at the pins, not the side of the plates.

BUT I would worry about more fasteners falling off during your trip. So I would get blue threadlocker and re-attach every fastener I can get to with threadlocker.

On my bike no fastener goes back on without it.

AND welcome to the forum. Introduce yourself so we know where you are etc.

·
Super Moderator
4,923 Posts
Your chain will NOT fail because of that wear. If you are soon off on a trip I would take notice of Blaustroms advice and go over all of the bolts on chainguards, mudguards, brackets, etc. and blue Loctite everything. The chainguard shoulder bolts are well known to become loose - they need Loctite. I'll wager that it was the rear one that came loose.
Usually the screw is lost. If you did lose the screw ensure that you replace it with a shoulder bolt.

·
Registered
235 Posts
+1 on it being fine and the blue loctite. I'd oil the chain too while you're at it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts