StromTrooper banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had to stick around the house this weekend so I did a little tinkering. I redid my old dash and added another 12v outlet. Made a new dash for my XM as well. Its all made from a road sign I found. Now don't be so quick to judge It was acquired legally. Great stuff though I just wish I could weld aluminum. The only problem I run into is I cant do 90 deg. bends with it. With out heat anyway, and the printing does'nt come off with out a huge mess.

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did this a while back. Kinda ties in with the project here. I wired up a distribution block. I used a tail light wire if I remember to energize the relay which switches power to the block. So none of my accessories can be accidentally left on. About $10 for for the block and the relay from the auto parts store. I had seen the $50 ones in the catalogs. I'm sure they are better, but this one has worked fine. I have not had any moisture issues and I ride in the rain and have been through a few shin deep creeks. Probably could squirt a little dielectric grease around the connections, but I'm not worried about it.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
I'll buy you a 6 pack of beer if you come "tinker" with my bike and set it up like yours.

Seriously though, you did an awesome job.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I had to stick around the house this weekend so I did a little tinkering. I redid my old dash and added another 12v outlet. Made a new dash for my XM as well. Its all made from a road sign I found. Now don't be so quick to judge It was acquired legally. Great stuff though I just wish I could weld aluminum. The only problem I run into is I cant do 90 deg. bends with it. With out heat anyway, and the printing does'nt come off with out a huge mess.
I like the shelf! What type of aluminum is that and how thick is it?

Do you have any problems with vibrations, or is the thickness enough to dampen any road / engine vibrations?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Its all made out of a road sign. I guess it would be about an 1/8''. Not all signs are the same thickness I have noticed. I built these two dashes, one for my old KLR and I re engineered the Hyde mount with the same piece. As well as countless other projects that didn't work out. Yes I am quite the recycler

As far as vibrations? Only good vibrations man! The lower dash is solid. The one with the XM needs further testing. I have only ridden to work with it. No washboard from here to there. Thanks for you interest...

J

·
0 Posts
Nice job, I would have liked to see the "Yield Arrow" or perhaps the "Stop" portion facing the rider for some original flare.
You did a fine job with what you had at hand, and it looks damn fine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts