StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So what do you perceive as shortcomings of Wee platform? How do/did you address them? What is your "must do" list?

I start with mine:
- suspension
- potential stator issues
- lowerish electric output
- adequate front brake
- buzzing
- wind protection

Suppose weight/power but those are not really fixable without getting a different bike.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
Must do mods are anything that irritates you. Click GARAGE above and my 2007 will be second in the browse most popular list. My must do mods were the MP (now similar to Madstad) screens and Madstad mount along with a Sargent seat. I later went all out on suspension improvements. EBC HH sintered brake pads on the front were all I needed for brakes. Even on the older platform with 375W of power output, I was able to ride with full body heated gear. I replaced the R/R with a MOSFET shunt type in the mistaken belief it operated like a series type actually does. What buzzing?

·
Registered
305 Posts
For the base cost of the bike, nothing.
Even with bikes costing twice the price of a Wee people end up changing out shocks and seats to get a better ride.
I think the wee is a great bike and afordable.

·
Administrator
17,537 Posts
There are plenty who complain about the $24K BMW GS, even for as good as it is........it will cost ya though. I put a better seat and windshield on pretty much every bike I have owned, HH pads and suspension mods are obviously very popular but also subjective.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Having come from a bike world which includes carbs and sometimes points (all previous bikes fixed up are from the seventies and mid eighties), my fairly recent '04 Wee acquisition has required some mental adjustment.

Aside from accepting that it has injection, the remainder of the bike is pretty straight-forward to wrench on. It is new enough that most fasteners have not become rusted on and subsequently bodged from a previous removal attempt. Hex heads galore....thanks...

It is a little busy with body work removal, but that is largely due to frame configuration, I think....and the frame is a benefit over the old tube frame bikes, I think, for day-to-day riding.

The best thing about having a "new" bike is that I can mod without worrying about ruining the "collector" status the rest of my bikes currently hold. Much more expensive insurance, of course, but this is supposed to be my "old man" bike.

So far, I like it..ask me again in the spring when I can ride again....

Reactions: Spec

·
Registered
47 Posts
Must do was a Series R\R - Compufire for piece of mind.
Cut the stock shield down to 1 inch past the fairing - clean air
Already had a Rick Mayer seat on - All my bikes either get a Corbin or Sargents.
Suspension will be next must do item.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Just competed a very long (4000+ miles) ride (2104 DL650A). Loved that it got great mpg, holds lots of gas, and has the power to do the job. That said, the bike really needs a factory cruise control option, to be lighter, and have a "low" version option. My right hand is still numb and aching since I returned home four days ago (yes I have a kaoko throttle lock but it's nearly useless in hilly country). Bike tipped over in a parking lot and I required assistance to lift...no damage other than scratch to crash bar. Reason I tipped is that I couldn't firmly plant my foot down as I am 5'8" (which isn't really that short)...and yes I have installed lowering links, lower seat, etc. Right now I am considering selling to purchase a Triumph XRx Low as the Vstrom is obviously not the right bike for me. I made the mistake of purchasing the bike based on price (great purchase price). Trying to make something work that wasn't right for me to begin with has cost me a whole lot in farkles trying to make it so. Should of just shelled out the bucks and got the bike that was better and right for me.

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
... Trying to make something work that wasn't right for me to begin with has cost me a whole lot in farkles trying to make it so. Should of just shelled out the bucks and got the bike that was better and right for me.

+1 Words of wisdom.

My previous bike was a KLR 650. I put 60,000 miles on it.

My Gen 2 650 Strom was a serious upgrade! After a couple of years on it sure ther're "shortcomings" compared to other (cough) more expensive bikes but for what it is it's great.

Reactions: Seadogdoc

·
Read Only
222 Posts
Unsuitable Owners

If there is so much wrong you are on the wrong bike. STOP WHINING! Sell your Vstrom and go buy something else, anything else! Move on, unless you can afford a custom made bike you will not get everything you want or learn to compromise.:frown2:

·
Registered
945 Posts
The only true "weak point" to me is the need for headlight relays and the series R/R to spare the stators. Did they fix this in later models? Starter/Headlight/Stator/Charging system should be reliable as a rock by now. 8% error on the speedo is also a weak point for me, less than 5% I could live with and isn't hard to do.

Center Stand & Crash Bars are two "weakish-points" for me but easy enough to fix. I couldn't imagine doing even basic maintenance without the center stand and I'd like to meet the man who hasn't dropped his bike. Those side panels are expensive to replace.

ABS is a "must-have" in my book but now that its a standard item on later models that's a non-issue, though it did take me a while to find a K7 that included it as an option.

My subjective wish-list is much longer but overall I am very happy with my Wee.

·
Read Only
222 Posts
Sorry, my bad. Did not intend to offend you personally. I was attempting obviously in the wrong way to make my comments about the originator of this post. Again sorry not directed at you.

·
Registered
947 Posts
I don't think his post makes him pompous. He just does not agree with your sentiments about the bike.
These are things that you said you don't like.

"I start with mine:
- suspension
- adequate front brake
- buzzing
- wind protection"

Then in another thread you say that you think it's ugly(this I agree with but all makes of this genre are to me). Makes your choice seem all wrong, except, you say that you love it. Some contradictions going on there perhaps? Not having a shot here by the way, simply trying to explain why it may appear as it does to some folks.

Coops.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I don't think his post makes him pompous. He just does not agree with your sentiments about the bike.
These are things that you said you don't like.

"I start with mine:
- suspension
- adequate front brake
- buzzing
- wind protection"

Then in another thread you say that you think it's ugly(this I agree with but all makes of this genre are to me). Makes your choice seem all wrong, except, you say that you love it. Some contradictions going on there perhaps? Not having a shot here by the way, simply trying to explain why it may appear as it does to some folks.

Coops.
I did not say I did not like them, this is your (and his) interpretation. I said "weak points" in context "need to address to make trip worthy".

If you think pompous is wrong I am taking it back. He's just a tool.

With respect to "ugly" I do not ride in front of mirror, so if it is ugly I prefer to position myself where I won't see it: riding in the saddle.

·
Registered
947 Posts
The mods may take exception to your name calling in this section, as per the rules.

"Personal attacks will not be tolerated. You can challenge others' points of view and opinions, but you will do so respectfully, thoughtfully and preferably in a constructive manner."

Coops.

Reactions: Cryoman

·
Registered
121 Posts
The mods may take exception to your name calling in this section, as per the rules.

"Personal attacks will not be tolerated. You can challenge others' points of view and opinions, but you will do so respectfully, thoughtfully and preferably in a constructive manner."

Coops.
It sounded like angry car drivers not motorcycle brothers and sisters for a moment there. I would like more lighting on front and rear please with turn signals as running lights. Perhaps a tail gunner on a .50 BMG for Jersey tailgaters.

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
Having had it on what was basically an MX track today. It's a f'ing heavy pig :).

Suspension on mine is fine.
Brakes are fine if maintained. 1&2. It'll outbrake supersports bikes on lumpy roads, how good do you need ?
Fixed the wind thing.
No buzzing, it's the crash bars and in my case hanging a couple of bags on those killed the buzz and stops me getting wet knees when it rains.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts