StromTrooper banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week I removed the calipers to do a spring swap. When I went to put the calipers back on I had to push them apart to fit over the rotor. To do that I inserted a long screw driver and levered the pads apart. They then fit over the calipers. So I tightned everyhing down and pumped the lever to build pressure. Everything seemed fine at first but now my front brake seems weaker than before. Any thoughts? Could I have scratched the pad surface with the screw driver? Would that cause weaker breaking? The fluid was flushed a month ago so that's nice and fresh.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
The most likely scenario is the difference is all in your head.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ill check it again tonight.

R

·
0 Posts
Please pardon my ignorance but can you explain what a "Spring Swap" entails.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Please pardon my ignorance but can you explain what a "Spring Swap" entails.
Replaced stock stock fork springs with sonic fork springs.

·
Registered
6,664 Posts
Huge laundry list of possibilities

Minimally clean brake rotor and pads with brake cleaner

If you have not done anything with the lines or fluid should be ok

Make sure you understand axle procedure. I always go up and down and clamp brakes a few times while tapping then tighten axle clamps

·
Registered
470 Posts
Last week I removed the calipers to do a spring swap. When I went to put the calipers back on I had to push them apart to fit over the rotor. To do that I inserted a long screw driver and levered the pads apart.
Another possibility is that you flaked off a bit of friction material when you levered the pads apart and that flake ended up caught between a pad and the rotor with the result that the pad can't make full contact.

I had a mystery clutch failure in an old car once and it turned out to be just that - a small piece of friction material had broken off and then lodged itself between the pressure and friction plates.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Pry the pads away from the rotor, then apply the brake and watch the sides of the caliper move in on the rotor. If any part doesn't move smoothly, look closely and find out why not. Expect the parts to move at different speeds reflecting minor differences in resistance. In service they'll grip identically.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts