StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At the end if June I finished a 3 week road trip from Mn to AK and back, solo (08 dl650A). It was everything I had hoped and more. It rained 14 out if 16 days, cold. The bike was great . The country is awesome! 8500 miles. When I got back I was planning the next trip in the back of my head. I should add before I get to far, I bought this 08 last fall and barely got to ride it and with our lousy spring it wasn't ridden much before either. I spent the winter going over it and farkling It. I also just got off blood thinners the week I left from massive PE's ( blood clots in the lung) that happened on Christmas Day . Well, to speed up the discussion, last week , about 1 month after the trip I got blood clots again. I now bought into the club of being on life long blood thinners . I do work in health care, I give anesthesia. I understand all of this to well. What does thus mean to me or others like me. It means that a therapeutic level of blood thinners will increase your clotting time by x2.5. People do ride with this , but the risks are greatly increased of bleeding following a head injury , internal bleeding etc. Logically, I don't think it's worth the risk or the damage it can do to our loved ones. My kids are grown and out if the home. Even if I survive a mishap, I still have an increased risk of being in the living dead category.
I have had a plethora of bikes over the years, done lots of trips ( prefer solo out in the sticks kind of riding) and currently also own a gl1500 and Burgman 400.
I don't mean to live in a bubble and won't, but I got to look at the risk/ benefit relationship . I am thinking......leaning toward........selling my bikes and buying a jeep and bring my dog with me on my outings. Still able it go down those remote roads, explore , and try to be a "little" safer.
What does the collective think?
The only thing that gets me is I only got as far as Wiesman......rain , freezing rain and snow stopped me from Deadhorse .....damn!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
4,218 Posts
That carrot will always dangle out there. I have been up North twice now and planning my third for next year. I prefer the cooler weather. The rain and snow part i do not like so much, and waking up to a frozen bike is not fun either when tenting, but then the riding is fantastic when its barren and cool. Heated gear takes care of the temperatures, and good rain gear keeps you dry.

June seems to be the best time of year to go North. More sunshine, although along the coast it is likely to rain any day of the year.

As for your medical condition. It sounds like a good idea to switch to a Jeep to me. Bringing your dog would be priceless.

Best wishes to you in your decision.

·
Premium Member
1,121 Posts
We only get to play the cards we're dealt. Sounds like you've played your hand well. Maybe it's time to switch the game. Shoot, I'm talking like a CW song.

·
Premium Member
3,539 Posts
In order to continue riding I have spent almost $9K so far this year on carpal tunnel & arthroscopic surgery on my left elbow & wrist. The surgery helped so much I am getting my right wrist done in Nov since I am $1K away from my $10K deductible for this year. It is well worth it for me.

Not many of us get to ride until we go tit's up. Most will have to bow out at some age & ailment. I'm only 56, so I figure I have a few more years left in me ;) As for the Jeep...sure why not? I think a nice Rubicon would be a second to a bike any day.

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
It really doesn't make any difference what the collective thinks. Its your life, your risk and you have to decide whether the benefit of riding is worth the chances you take.
I'll tell you this though, there is always a sword hanging over our heads, every one of us. You usually have no idea what it is or when it will drop. You have to do the things that make you happy and feel like a reasonable risk.
Rather than us I would suggest you have a heart to heart with your family since they are your main concern and get their input, their opinions are the ones that really matter.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
a couple of years ago my bike was packed up for my last trip of the year, 6 days camping/riding the Blue ridge parkway. 2 days before my departure, I was hospitalized with a thrombosed clot in my rt leg. The short hospital stay was followed with no more motorcycles until off the blood thinners (4 months)...also not walking, runing, surfing, kite surfing...all the things that i do/did. The following week from the hospital, I bought a miata. best move I ever made!!! I still keep the bike for a mountain trip when the mood hits, but ATGATT is not required and my wife and i love it. We've taken two week long camping trips out of it so far and another planned for the fall. a little rack on the trunk makes camping possible but i plan to buy a Tailwind trailer to pull for my cross country trips. I had a jeep wrangler back in the 90's and i loved it, but the miata is much better in every way.

edit: the same weekend that my ride was cancelled, a fellow rider from up north (NY) was riding the parkway. He had a leg clot problem...highway patrol saved his life...a week later, a couple hospitals later, and several thousand dollars later, he was back home with a leg amputation and two bike to sell.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Sounds like you've got a sound plan. Before I even read the part about Jeep in your post, I was thinking, "get a convertible". I would hate to give up riding, but you have to know when to fold em. I think a person could have a hell of a lot of fun touring the country in a soft top jeep, or a classic convertible (mustang or Camaro).

This could be the closing of one chapter, and the opening of another. Jeeping is an incredible hobby/sport, with a following and love pretty much like motorcyclists.

·
Premium Member
3,539 Posts
I miss my Jeeps. In the 80's I used to take my CJ7 to Durango from east of Dallas with no top on and go backpacking for weeks at a time. Loud, cramped, bumpy ride...and I loved it. The only drawback I see to a Jeep now it the jiggling of the moobs....Breau? Manzier? ;)

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
I am thinking......leaning toward........selling my bikes and buying a jeep and bring my dog with me on my outings. Still able it go down those remote roads, explore , and try to be a "little" safer.
What does the collective think? http://www.motorcycle.com/mobile
A soft-top jeep (doors/roof removed), remote roads, dogs - sounds like a new adventure in the making. If I had second thoughts about moto-adventuring, my first thought would be exactly that. You might even find you enjoy it more, or at least it's something new you can dive into and see where it takes you........I'd go for it.

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
Yea, you never know

I like your thinking, tightass. I would keep the bike, if financially plausible, and get the Jeep. You might be able to beat this blood clot thing and go back to your Vstrom. Keep pushing, motion is the lotion for the body.

Best/RR

·
Registered
11 Posts
Where life leads

4 years ago I had vision issues that made riding more dangerous. I sold 5 bikes and gave away most of my gear. I have done a lot of things, then moved on to others, but this decision was forced on me.
The vision is fixed, more or less and at 69+ I have recently bought 2 bikes and now am buying the gear (again). I never missed the other activities that I finished with, but I missed riding almost every day.

I admire your concern for your family. Were I you, I might take a few more safety/riding courses, and stay with the bike. The Jeep and Dog program is very appealing though.

Good luck.

Ben.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Ya gotta do what ya gotta do, as the saying goes. After 14 years of riding her own motorcycle, my wife hung up her helmet for the last time last year. Her rheumatoid arthritis was the reason. It is in her hands, feet and knees, and she felt that her ability to control the bike was impaired enough, due to the pain and weakness that she felt it was necessary to quit riding. As she put it, "better to quit while I'm ahead rather than quit because I was forced to because I crashed and hurt myself." She misses it, and I miss my best riding partner, too. I can proudly say that she was one of the best riders I know, and she loved her GL1800 Gold Wing. But even her Vulcan 900 Classic LT was too much for her, so she quit riding. I think you are making a sound decision in view of your condition, which sounds like it could rear its ugly head on a repetitive basis. Being on two wheels is not a good scenario in that case. You'll miss riding and the whole motorcycle scene for awhile, but eventually you can look back on it as having been one of the best parts of your life, and you'll have fond memories of riding. But it's a decision only you can make.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Sounds to me like it's time for you to transfer your membership from Stromtrooper to ExpeditionPortal. When I go over there I get just as stoked as I do when I'm on here. For me it's a matter of $$$. Setting up a Vstrom for adventure riding is much cheaper than setting up a Jeep to do the same thing.....well at least the farkles are cheaper.

Do what fits, but it sounds like "adventure" will remain a passion of yours. I know it is for me.

Keep on exploring

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Interesting how many people are just nutty for the idea of a jeep or a Miata to replace a motorcycle.
Guess I don't get it, I've had bikes for 45 years, also had a few open top cars including a Miata but I never confused the two. A bike is a bike, a car is a car. If you're a motorcycle rider first and foremost a car will never replace a bike in my mind.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Hey, tightass, what did your doctor advise?
Bought my '09 wee in December 2013 and have not yet managed a good tour West of Charles City, VA! (Located 25 miles East of Richmond)

Life is gonna get in the way and I see it as my human duty to keep on keeping on. Best of luck in your choice.

Would love a Miata but the wife loves Jeeps, bless her heart. The Wrangler stays but the mileage suffers, lol

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My Dr is my friend, we do some work together also. He would never say you need to.......... ( I also work in the health care industry giving anesthesia). I know the risks of riding in general but even more so with the risk of riding while on blood thinners. Which I will be for the rest of my life. I've been lucky even not to die with my first round of PE ( was extensive), this second time was smaller but I can never risk getting off them again. Lifer in that regard. I through this subject out there for discussion and to see everybody else's thoughts. It won't change my mind on future plans ( what ever I finally decide). Expedition portal, I'll have to look at that never heard of it. My wife and I do have a convertible, love taking the digs for rides. If I do sell the bikes , I'll also sell the convertible and get a decent soft top jeep. I will also continue to restore vintage bikes ( completed a 64 dream, and 1980 750, got two ct90s sitting in the shed waiting). And I will still putt around with the stuff I restore. It's those long adventure rides to far away places that are out. Hence .......Dah jeep!! I did meet an older couple north of the circle with there jeep, they where having a ball. Thanks for all the shared feelings

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
515 Posts
My name is Bill Kane. I am the fellow referenced on post number 7 under edit. The story is a little off ( no police involved ) I was on the BRP and had a glorious day all was going oh so well. The weather was stunning like 70 degrees and sunny. I rode like 200 miles of the parkway that day plus Rt39 to 219 to route 250 Into Stanton ,VA. I felt like I road like Kenny Roberts that day. I was just in the groove, no traffic just a wonderful home run of a day. I stopped at the Microtel in Stanton for the night. Rode over to Chillies for dinner I even had a nice Vodka and tonic to celebrate the glorious day. Back to the room I went and a nice shower followed. I was watching TV and I felt like someone shot me in the leg. A stent behind my left knee ruptured. So off to the hospital I went via ambulance. I was alone and passed out in transit.
A day or two later I woke up. They cut me open to try to fix my leg to no avail. Then shipped me up to my surgeon in NY the day before hurricane Sandy hit. They cut my leg off that day below the knee. That cut did not work out. Six weeks later I had a revision to an above the knee amputation.
Well I recovered with great assistance from my wife. I sold my 2002 wing, sold my 2011 Strom. I can walk now with the prosthetic leg. I was thinking about buying a convertible Mustang or a little sexy lotus.
While in the mist of this convertible fantasy, I realized I'm just not a convertible guy.
My wife gathered me up and took me out to lunch while a lunch she said ,Bill 44 years of riding a dam car just won't work for us. That's when at her insistence we bought a Can Am RT s Spyder. My head is in the wind and I love it. My left leg is gone so the paddle shift automatic was my only option. Blood thinners are in my life on a daily basis. I figure you can't low or high side a can am so I feel safe.
Original poster give a can am a whirl. I figure in a year or two I'll be walking much better an maybe I will pick up a Honda CTX700 automatic. If Suzuki makes an automatic V Strom they can put me Dow for one of those.
So, take the curves of life my friend and live large. We only go around once don't let fear control you.
Bill Kane

1 - 20 of 32 Posts