StromTrooper banner

WD40: Love it or Hate it?

• Total voters
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Personally, I like it. I don't use it on my MC chain (yes, on pedal bike chain), but I use it on plenty of other stuff.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Good for displacing water (WD = water displacing; 40 = 40th try to get the formula right). Good for spraying on pruning shears and saws to keep the pitch from sticking before cutting pine boughs. Easily bettered for everything else I've used it for.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
Your pole is flawed.

Wait, that's not what I meant.

Your poll is flawed, there's no box for "extreme indifference".

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This isn't going like I envisioned.....

·
Registered
239 Posts
Lots of uses

I use WD 40 to clean my chain, not for lubing! I use a chain wax for lube. WD is good for cutting through oil and grease, don't tell my wife, but it makes for a good prewash treatment for jeans!

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
It makes a decent parts cleaner that doesn't smell too horrible and won't hurt plastic, rubber, or paint -- I keep a gallon jug of WD-40 around and use it in a spray bottle.

There are better, more specific alternatives for most of WD-40's general uses. For example, stuck bolts get Kroil. My chain gets the Dupont teflon stuff.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
This isn't going like I envisioned.....
That's the problem nowadays, the extremists at either end are given all the attention while the majority in the center get ignored.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Thought I didn't like the stuff until I found a can of it on the road side during my daily walk to the post office. Brought it home, and while I was cleaning my gas operated shotgun, decided to try it on the residue that accumulated on the piston..in the past, I've needed steel wool to remove that stuff. To my amazement, WD_40 is an excellent solvent for the residue. As a bonus, it is a lot less volatile and flammable than paint thinner and other solvents that are effective on really tough residues...

Keep it around all the time now, but don't use it on the bike.

·
Registered
15,421 Posts
I love the stuff. It's makes the cutters on my hedge trimmer works nifty!
I also wash the chain with WD and a gungy brush. Then wax the chain.
I hear it works on fish lures too but never tried it.

Oh, what post 12 said about residue. When shooting Black Powder it's a good solvent for the fouling that builds up.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts