StromTrooper banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
hahahahahaha I remember when I got my first motorcycle - at the ripe old age of 13. We would ride our bicycles to the local service station and mooch used motor oil to lube our chains.
Yorkshireman 1: "Cardboard box?"
Yorkshireman 2: "Yes"
Yorkshireman 1: "Luxury!"

·
Registered
167 Posts
  • Haha
Reactions: Big Boy

·
Registered
25 Posts
Been using DuPont chain saver on mine since new over 20000 miles on original chain and still looks new.
I just picked up a can. I’ve got 80/90 on mine now but I just cleaned it last lube. Do you think I should clean it again with kerosene before I convert to the DuPont stuff or just spray away?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just a thought that came to mind. With WD40 being a water desiccant (Water Desiccant Formula 40), is it advantages to spray some WD after a wet day to relieve it from moisture and then add your regular lube? I have been using Lucas chain lube. So far so good. I trust Lucas products

·
Registered
DL1000, DR650, Southern WV
136 Posts
I used gear oil for years, (as per manufacturer recommendations) and decided to try the Dupont Chain Saver and then some BelRay Chain Lube just to see what all the hoopla was about.
I am now back to using gear oil and see no reason to use anything else.

·
Administrator
14,933 Posts
I've been using the Dupont stuff for the last decade, clean and easy and my chains last a long time.
How many miles/ km?

..Tom

·
Registered
164 Posts
I’m using Lucas Oil Chain lube. Works fine, some fling occurs, less if I leave it and let set overnight. I use Simple Green HD to clean it, works decent and no harsh chemicals.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My rear wheel is usually covered in a thick layer of dry dust/dirt, but my chain is spotless. Thieves don't steal dirty bikes! Use WD40 only unless its wet out. Keeping the O-rings clean a lubed is all you need. Getting 50K mi easily out chain sets.

·
Registered
762 Posts
That motul would be nice for a long trip. Easy to pack I bet. But the chain saver takes 30 seconds if you have a center stand. And the center stand is the best thing since sliced bread btw. But I’m a little biased as I grew up on real bikes that came factory with them.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I once bought WD40 brand chain lubricant from Walmart for something like $8 and it was the worse decision of my life. It got gunk everywhere and built up all over which made cleaning a pain. Just sharing for others!
I like DuPont chain wax, Every ride I apply a little, Every couple of tanks of fuel, I clean it with dish soap..

·
Registered
762 Posts
I just picked up a can. I’ve got 80/90 on mine now but I just cleaned it last lube. Do you think I should clean it again with kerosene before I convert to the DuPont stuff or just spray away?
Spray away. I always apply when the chain is warm after a ride. I clean mine with a rag and wd40 about twice a year.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts