StromTrooper banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I once bought WD40 brand chain lubricant from Walmart for something like $8 and it was the worse decision of my life. It got gunk everywhere and built up all over which made cleaning a pain. Just sharing for others!

·
Premium Member
5,525 Posts
Here you go: Chain Lubes Some light reading. :)

I am using up the last of my Tirox Chain Wax (no longer available) and then will be trying Dupont Teflon Chain Saver.

YMMV

Rectangle Font Art Pattern Diagram

·
Registered
6,554 Posts
If you see this, pass it by too. It goes on white and foamy, initially I thought it a good idea, you can see where you have applied some, and where not. It makes a heck of a mess on your sprockets and chain though. Hard to clean off if you ever want to.

Liquid Product Fluid Font Rectangle

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Here you go: Chain Lubes Some light reading. :)

I am using up the last of my Tirox Chain Wax (no longer available) and then will be trying Dupont Teflon Chain Saver.

YMMV

View attachment 305555
Du Pont CS goes on easily. Some buildup on the swingarm & gusset. I'm less fussy with this bike than I was with my ZX11, I clean it off the swingarm and rear sprockets with a pressure washer ~every two years when I change tires. front sprocket gets Gunk Engine Degreaser. In 14-15000 mi it has only moderate buildup.

·
Administrator
14,933 Posts
more on chains:
Best chain "cleaner" is the lubricating oil hat is applied to the chain to lube it. Don't waste time with any of the crap sold to "Clean" your chain as their really is no need to "clean" it (Unless you have a show bike that isn't really going to be ridden. In that case chain wax was invented for that kind of use.)

..Tom

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Best chain "cleaner" is the lubricating oil hat is applied to the chain to lube it. Don't waste time with any of the crap sold to "Clean" your chain as their really is no need to "clean" it (Unless you have a show bike that isn't really going to be ridden. In that case chain wax was invented for that kind of use.)

..Tom
Font Magenta Rectangle Circle Logo

BTW - I use ATF
Wipe it on with a cloth which 'cleans' and lubes the chain at the same time. Every other gas fill-up.
Product Automotive design Gas Motor vehicle Electric blue

·
Registered
4,889 Posts
The reason chain lubes are messy is people way over apply them. Then it flings everywhere. On modern o-ring chains If you can see the lube on the chain its too much. All you need is thin film to protect the metal.

When I used a Scott oiler the 50ml or 1-5/8 ounce reservoir filled with AFT was good for 1000 to 1200 miles of chain lubing.

IDC what chain lube you use if you grossly over apply it, it will be messy.

·
Registered
2018 V-Strom 1K
123 Posts
I always thought that chain lube was chain lube. And, WD40 does a decent job of cleaning if it sits for a few hours, first.

If possible, lubing the chain after a ride and letting it sit overnight will greatly reduce the "sling-off". Not always possible, I know.

·
Registered
4,889 Posts
I always thought that chain lube was chain lube. And, WD40 does a decent job of cleaning if it sits for a few hours, first.

If possible, lubing the chain after a ride and letting it sit overnight will greatly reduce the "sling-off". Not always possible, I know.
If you glob it on it will fling off. While letting it "set up" overnight is okay as soon as the chain gets some heat in it the gelatinous goo will soften and fling.

·
Premium Member
3,702 Posts
If you glob it on it will fling off. While letting it "set up" overnight is okay as soon as the chain gets some heat in it the gelatinous goo will soften and fling.
It's working really well to cover up the stupid gold rim on my XT, at least the rear. I keep trying to put enough on to cover the front wheel too, but so far, all I've got is a rooster tail and a lot of angry tailgaters to show for it.

That stuff's really hard to get out of my hair, too.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I have several quarts of 90 weight gear oil laying around, so I'm using that until it's gone. So far, so good.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts