StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any direct, real life experience to back up the claim that:

"WD-40 is so thin, it gets past the O (or X) rings and washes out the factory lubricant."

Or is this just another one of those Interweb things that everybody quotes without really knowing?

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts
Suzuki recommends cleaning the chain with kerosene. WD40 isn't going to to wash out lube. The problem I have with it is it is too light to do a great job of lubing the roller to bushing interface that doesn't have lube sealed in and it isn't a good protectant for exposed steel. I want a heavier lube for chains.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
WD-40 is a very weak lubricant. It is good at what its name says...Water Displacing (40th try to get the most effective formula).

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Satans Urine.

Bell Ray, Clean Chain Lube. On an O ring chain you have two goals to accomplish. Something that will protect the metal plates from corrosion and something that will keep the o rings in good shape without attracting a bunch of dirt to them. The real lube for the chain is inside the o rings.

Too much aggressive cleaning will hurt a chain. Pressure washing anywhere near a chain should get you 20 push-ups.

If your product sticks to the chain well....so much the better. There is a Home Depot lube that has teflon in it I beileve that is widely used....I thought it was kind of light wieght (but cheap) and started using what I buy by the case for my dirt bike.

·
$tromtrooper
2,378 Posts
There seem to be two issues being confounded here - is WD-40 actually bad for a chain (for whatever reason) and is it a good chain lubricant. The original question, I think, was about the former.

Myself, I am very happy with kerosene and Dupont Teflon spray.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you, m' Lord. That is indeed the question.

There's an argument going on another site about if WD is good for cleaning sprockets and chains. Several people have stated the Satan argument without any background.

Personally I use Gunk to clean and Bel-Ray Super Clean to lube.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
KM, I use the same lube...great stuff. I usually do not clean my chain as the Bel Ray keeps the o rings pretty decent. But I ride on the road and in the dry...most of the time.

I use a rag and some Kerosene..the price is right, for the seasonal demunging of the chain. Otherwise I just hose the o rings down every 500 to 700 miles with lube only or when the bluish gray color of the Bel ray is no longer visible.

·
Registered
22,312 Posts
Does anyone have any direct, real life experience to back up the claim that:

"WD-40 is so thin, it gets past the O (or X) rings and washes out the factory lubricant."
:green_lol::green_lol::green_lol:

WD is lower viscosity than water ? o-rings have no problem keeping water out

oooh wait, is the wd being blasted at the same intensity as a pressure washer

personally, I use Dextron ATF, but when my scottoiler is empty, I keep up with my chain using WD

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
WD40 is great for cleaning the chain, but you really need a better lubricant after you do that.

·
Registered
490 Posts
If the chain makers don't recommend it, I don't use it.

I have YET to find a chain maker that say's, "Use WD-40 to clean our chain with". Nobody.
Until I do, I'll continue to use kerosene or a Product like Motul chain cleaner.
I do use AMSOIL Chain lube.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I was using Motul (sticky) chain lube. Fling, high dust attraction. I routinely cleaned it with Motul chain cleaner. This was the stock chain and sprockets replaced at about 21,000 or 23,000 miles, can't remember but typical mileage out of stock from what I've read. I had a couple of links where I could see the red powder and I had a few stiff links.

New chain and sprockets (SV Racing kit) and I'm trying out the Dupont Teflon stuff I hear so much about. Drive train a little noisier, but I do not have to clean the chain anymore. It does not appear to fling and I am generous with application.Iit does not attract dust, and what little dirt does get on it, it "washes" off the next time a apply.

Looks like a winner to me. Who needs WD-40? :)

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
I have YET to find a chain maker that say's, "Use WD-40 to clean our chain with". Nobody.
Until I do, I'll continue to use kerosene or a Product like Motul chain cleaner.
I do use AMSOIL Chain lube.
And who told you to use Amsoil Chain Lube? Suzuki?

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
I will be replacing my chain this winter. It is the original. I will have 30000 miles or a bit more by the time it goes. I am just over 28000 now. I will also replace my sprockets. I have only used the Dupont Teflon lube in the blue can. The longest a chain ha ever lasted me with WD 40 was 15000.

·
Banned
158 Posts
I have been using the Dupont Chain clean/lube system with the grunge brush for a while now on all my M/C chains and will now do so on my new to me DL650K7.

·
Premium Member
3,145 Posts
Back in the day, I read an article in Dirt Bike Magazine, where they tested a bunch of chains, with varying lubes. They measured the temperature of the chain after each testing session.

I remember being stunned to read that the non O-ring chain, that had WD40 as the lube, actually ran hotter than a totally dry non O-ring chain. WD40 just cannot handle the temperatures that occur when a drivetrain is in use, and the oil used is not formulated for shear resistance + stickiness. O-ring chains still need lube, under the rollers around the chain pins, and for corrosion resistance. WD40 will fling off too quickly to provide any sort of protection.

WD40 is great stuff, but as a chain lube, it's worthless [does keep the rust off the pin rollers though!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Kerosene or WD40

On the road I use WD-40 to clean and HP motorcycle chain lubricant to refresh the chain lube. At home I use an air gun with kerosene to wash the chain and the same HP chain lube to refresh.

The WD-40 is convenient and the kerosene is just better - especially in an air gun. Make sure you wear a filter over nose and mouth using the air gun.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I will be replacing my chain this winter. It is the original. I will have 30000 miles or a bit more by the time it goes. I am just over 28000 now. I will also replace my sprockets. I have only used the Dupont Teflon lube in the blue can. The longest a chain ha ever lasted me with WD 40 was 15000.
WOW!! is that some kind of record? :confused:

I use the Dupont Teflon lube in the blue can also, 8500miles and looks like new. :mod2_rolleyes:

FWIW, the CAS# for one of the ingredients in WD40 is pretty much the same as the CAS# for deodorized kerosene.

·
Registered
31 Posts
First chain used motul sticky stuff or similar, 32,000Km.
Next chain followed user manual, keeping my chain wet with engine oil.
Little V now has 63,000Km and chain and sprockets still look new, no sign of sagging yet.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts