StromTrooper banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone.

We have a new 2012 Expedition 650, sweet bike. I'm in need of information regarding the alternator and the gear we are going to purchase that requires power.

We are going to get a new seat, with heat for both passenger and rider. Heated grips, heated clothing both top and bottom for each. We run a GPS and an iPhone.

Will the power draw be too much? How can I regulate and monitor the power usage while riding?

thanks.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
Your bike can't handle all that. You have 125-150W available. A variable controller for your heated gear and a voltmeter to make sure you don't drop below 12.6-12.8V are needed. I have to turn off one headlight to run a jacket liner, grips and gloves any more than 3/4 power.

·
Administrator
17,100 Posts
Or get a new Triumph Tiger, a BMW GS or maybe a Golding....then you could "maybe" run all that heated gear. And holy crap, why in the world do you need all that?:jawdrop:
Also might have been smart to have gotten that info before you buy a bike.:yesnod:

·
Registered
244 Posts
Yeah. From what I've read, this will be too much for the alternator. If it's shorter drives (not all day drives) that you need, they have lots of rechargeable heated liners and jackets and whatnot. Charge them at home and it won't draw from the bike as you use it.

Alexi

·
Premium Member
1,929 Posts
I was also curious about the limitations of the electrics. I'm getting ready to install a second power outlet. What happens when you draw too much power? Dead battery? Blown fuse?

·
38,048 Posts
Draw more the the system can supply and you get a dead battery.

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,349 Posts
We are going to get a new seat, with heat for both passenger and rider.
Heated seats are a BIG waste of the small amount of accessory power your new V Strom has available!

Heated seats are not like heated jackets, most of them have a switch that turns them "on" and they run at full power the whole time. And they take quite a bit of power, most of it goes to heating the seat and the air around it instead of your body.

I have owned heated seats and while I have nothing against them I find they are more a novelty than a need. Heated pants will do a LOT more good. Now I will say that for a short trip the heated seat will feel good if you don't take the time for heated gear. You just have to budget your power draw on the DL 650 and in my opinion a heated seat is not a viable option for that reason.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I figured as much, the alternator size was a big red flag when I bought the bike. But thought we could live within it's limitations, and we will.

The first thing off the list is the heated seat. The heated grips will stay, and then just start with the heated upper body gear for my wife.

Thanks for the info.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
Heated seats are not like heated jackets, most of them have a switch that turns them "on" and they run at full power the whole time. And they take quite a bit of power, most of it goes to heating the seat and the air around it instead of your body.
The Sargent kit I bought draws 2.1A (30 watts at 14V) and comes with a duty cycle controller.

If you do have an simple on/off switch, 8A/12V LED dimmers are available on ebay for $4 shipped. I've got one wired into the grips.

I feel the same way about the heated seat as I do about the heated grips. It's always there in case you need it -- like for a 5 hour ride at 30 degrees F. :yikes:

·
38,048 Posts
I have heated grips because they are always available. That comes in handy fairly often. In real cold though, gloves work better. My Warm and Safe dual Heat-Troller runs grips and gloves on one control. The other runs a jacket liner. On rides just above freezing for over and hour, I add heated socks to the grips/gloves circuit. Insulated boots instead of motorcycle boots may be good enough though. With warm torso, hands and feet, the insulated liner for my riding pants is all I need for a very long time. If the temps get below freezing or I'm out for even longer, I can add ski pant overalls but it's been years since I unpacked mine. My butt has never been cold.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
My butt has never been cold.
Mine has, that's why I went with the heat pad this time. The front of my thighs get very cold as well. I've been thinking about wiring up some resistance wire to take care of that problem. A buddy in Texas made all his own heated gear and sent me a bunch of wire.

·
Registered
15,249 Posts
I use an old Garmin GPS that shows the supply voltage. When no aux items are using power it shows 14.3 volts. When I turn on the Gerbing jacket and the Oxford grips it will drop a bit. If I turn both all the way up it shows 12. something volts. I turn down one or the other and the alternator catches up and goes back up to 14 volts. It's easy to modulate the use with the controller knobs.
The GPS, 2, count them 2, don't use much power. Negligible at best. If your device runs on a couple AA or AAA batteries it won't rob the bike power compared to the Grips or jacket.
Heated seat, where you from, Antarctica?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I use an old Garmin GPS that shows the supply voltage. When no aux items are using power it shows 14.3 volts. When I turn on the Gerbing jacket and the Oxford grips it will drop a bit. If I turn both all the way up it shows 12. something volts. I turn down one or the other and the alternator catches up and goes back up to 14 volts. It's easy to modulate the use with the controller knobs.
The GPS, 2, count them 2, don't use much power. Negligible at best. If your device runs on a couple AA or AAA batteries it won't rob the bike power compared to the Grips or jacket.
Heated seat, where you from, Antarctica?
My Garmin Legend eTrex will run on batteries, I am not going to run it off the bikes power. My current GPS will be replaced with a new, waterproof, bluetooth version that is designed for motorcycle use. I haven't determined which model I want to get, I guess some searching will be done on this requirement.

My goal is to have personal equipment, and heated gear that is the best we can afford. Any suggestions you guys can provide will really help me decide on the product.

We are going to have our iPhone paired with the Blue Tooth GPS, then have the GPS paired with our SRC system. The power will only be needed for the GPS.

Heated grips will be added at our next service interval. So that leaves the plug in for the clothing. I do wish the Wee had a larger alternator. But, the bike is so good I can live with what it has.

Oh, I live in Ontario Canada, and plan to ride late fall and early spring. Cold.

·
38,048 Posts
The GPS is nothing. It's stuff that produces heat that draws a lot, including incandescent lights.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Heated Gloves

The warmest gloves I own are my Gerbing heated gloves, even when not turned on they are warm. I have a Tourmaster jacket liner that I run on low because any higher on the thermostat is too hot. I have heated pants but rarely use them. I do not run heated grips since the gloves put direct warmth to my hands and use less power than grips. Just my view. If you can keep your torso warm, your extremities will be warmer since the blood is warmed. Once your core is cold, you're all done riding. Hypothermia is just around the corner in that instance. The other option are those big mits that go over your hands and grips. It's unfortunate that our electrical output is so weak but that is the case so we must live with the output from then bike.

I have seen some new battery powered jacket liners that are supposed to be good for 10hrs. I believe the name is "Mobile". Have only seen ads in bike mags but they seem to be a good idea in theory. Good luck whatever you choose but the concensus of opinion is that Gerbing is the best out there. I cheaped out and did not buy my jacket from Gerbing but the Tourmaster is good, just not in the same league w Gerbing. In retrospect, I wish I had bought the Gerbing jacket.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts