StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning a trip to Yukon/Alaska and would like to stay DRY. I was looking at Klim which is "guaranteed" to be waterproof. The product and material appears to be of a very quality and finish. It is made with Gortex and comes with body armour, full ventilation, padded liner and pockets. Very pricey....$1000+ for jacket and pants. I don't want the cheap plastic slip over rain gear.

Can anyone recommend other good quality rain gear that is waterproof and rugged?

·
Registered
240 Posts
KLIM...

I pulled the trigger and bought the KLIM bright yellow Badlands jacket and pants. After having all "other" stuff all I can say is that it is worth the money. No more taking on and off rain gear.
Also, when you see how well the stuff is made...the crash protection/padding...you see what you are paying for.
After breaking a few ribs, in my Baja treck, if I had had this jacket on I doubt I would have broken anything.
Great stuff. if you buy it I have a great store that I have dealt with and they are great!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great testimonial. Where did you buy it?

·
Premium Member
1,929 Posts
I pulled the trigger and bought the KLIM bright yellow Badlands jacket and pants. After having all "other" stuff all I can say is that it is worth the money. No more taking on and off rain gear.
Also, when you see how well the stuff is made...the crash protection/padding...you see what you are paying for.
After breaking a few ribs, in my Baja treck, if I had had this jacket on I doubt I would have broken anything.
Great stuff. if you buy it I have a great store that I have dealt with and they are great!
Have you worn it in hot weather yet? Just wondering how tolerable it is in the heat.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Aerostich rocks!

Kruzzin5:

I own a two piece AeroStich Roadcrafter that is nearly 20 years old (one re-build) , is still waterproof and is still extremely functional. It has over 150K miles on it too. It does leak a small amount in the crotch area but when riding at 80 mph, in the rain, for hours, {that is riding in a hurricane}, a small softball sized amount of leakage, to me, is more than tolerable. I am unsure whether the new ones still have this problem, but to us old IronButters who wore them, that was never, ever an issue. The protection they provide is top notch too, and they were also allowed at most instructional track days on most tracks back in the day. Full leathers or a Stich, that was it.

Here's their link: Home :: Aerostich/RiderWearHouse Motorcycle Jackets, Suits, Clothing, & Gear

While you are there looking, order one of their catalogs. They have so much cool stuff in there for riders (and non-riders) I guarantee you that you WILL buy something out the catalog. ;-)

https://www.aerostich.com/index.php/catalogrequest/

Uncle Fester recommended Frogg Toggs and allow me to let you in on one thing. First, yes, I have owned Frogg Toggs, and so has my wife. They are light, they pack up nicely and they will keep you dry. The only drawback to them is this. You have to stop and put them on, and then stop again to take them off. Repeat. Repeat. Etc. I don't like to stop when riding. If I am on an IronButt type run, I just hate to pull over. Sometimes there's no good place to do that when the rain hits, and you are getting soaked in the meantime.

With the Stich, you just keep riding. The rain stops and the sun comes out? You just keep riding. It gets chilly when the sun goes down? You just keep the throttle twisted. Plus, in the case of a get-off, the Frogg Toggs will give you no protection...no padding in the shoulders, hips, knees, elbows. They are what they are....a very decent rain suit that does the job of keeping you dry but for me, the Stich is the way to go.

I will have another one too...IF this one ever wears out! :mrgreen:

I have no info about the other suit recommended, but I plan on looking at it to learn more about them.

One more thing.....a trip to Alaska is the trip of a lifetime. Get a full suit for an adventure like that. Have a great trip, take lots of pictures and share with us the stories you live out while riding up there. :biggrinjester:

Cheers!

Pat

·
Registered
358 Posts
I have Tourmaster jeans and they have kept me perfectly dry in many hundreds of miles of superslab rain. They can be a tad warm in summer, I also have a Sliders jacket that has kept me very Dry. It's HI Viz yellowish (Ugly greenish/yellowish) with kevlar and padding. It has two liners, one for rain and another that combines with the rain liner for warmth. In Florida's humid summers it's too hot with liners. Although it has lots of mesh it can be hot even with no liners. Heck, anything is hot. In that weather I just let it rain through if I'm passing through rain as it just cools me off. If I'm heading into hundreds of miles of rain I'll use the liner. In summer I don't mind wet as long as my drawers stay dry. Although a tad warm I generally just leave the Tourmaster jeans on as they have the armor/padding. The Sliders jacket was cheap. It's been good to me. They run small.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I gave up on the over gear waterproof stuff because of the hassle and went with Tourmaster Jacket (epic - not expensive) and Caliber pants. Both have seen plenty of rain and work fine. I am OK with this set-up til 85-90F. If hotter than that will try drenching synthetic shirt with water and trying evaporative cooling. I expect the more expensive gear lasts longer.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I have to give a :thumbdown: to Frogg's Toggs. I had a set of them and they worked better than nothing at all but the last time I used them (probably only the 3rd time I'd used them at all) I wound up getting SOAKED so badly that when I stopped again I took the whole set off and threw it in a parking-lot trashcan. :furious:

·
Premium Member
15,739 Posts
I was looking at Klim which is "guaranteed" to be waterproof.
The guaranteed to keep you dry claim is a marketing claim by Goretex. It's actually trademarked.
As with most marketing claims it is full of conditions and clauses so treat that part of the equation as what it is, a marketing claim designed to justify inflated pricing for a product (in this case the material).

·
Registered
859 Posts
I would second or third the Aerostich. High quality gear and the Roadcrafter and Darien models are made in the U.S. something that Klim can't claim. Both are of the best quality and as others have stated the "Gortex" material is what makes them waterproof. The heavy Cordura outer shell and balistic reinforcement as well as shoulder/elbow/hip/knees and and back brace is what you pay for. If planning several thousand miles in the saddle I would not settle for inferior gear. Considering what most (me included) are willing to spend to accessorize our bikes $1000 bucks is not that much money. I have used Gortex products for years from my military days (10 month deployments in the field in all weather, no not sleeping in a cozy heated rack) to 20 years flyfishing wearing Gortex waders and jackets. Really great product, just not cheap.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I gave up on the over gear waterproof stuff because of the hassle and went with Tourmaster Jacket (epic - not expensive) and Caliber pants. Both have seen plenty of rain and work fine. I am OK with this set-up til 85-90F. If hotter than that will try drenching synthetic shirt with water and trying evaporative cooling. I expect the more expensive gear lasts longer.
I wore this same jacket and pants for a three or four years. The pants were never really waterproof, in light rain I'd stay dry. But moderate to heavy rain and the crotch and backside started leaking. The jacket was pretty good. It only started leaking last year mostly in the arms and shoulders. I'd recommend it as a lower cost option. I myself finally pulled the trigger on a Darien jacket and AD1 pants. I've only had the jacket about a month, so I'm not willing to give an evaluation on it yet. The pants I've had less than a week, so I haven't even broken them in yet let alone have a solid opinion of them yet. But my initial impressions are dry so far, and that's good.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I'll be putting my Klim Overland suit to the test today. Taking my advanced rider course in all day rain. :thumbup:

·
Registered
67 Posts
Another Aerostitch recomendation

I also run with Aerostich. Darien jacket and AD-1 pants.

Took a 14 day trip last year in September (Trans-Labrador HWY) 12 days of which were rain. There were 5 of us altogether and I was the only one to stay dry. I was surprised that my one buddy with the BMW jacket was wet...

Customer service is great and the gear works.

·
Registered
22 Posts
+1 Klim

I ride in a Klim Latitude Misano jacket and pant which are a road oriented product with a more relaxed fit than the Badlands Pro line. If I had a more athletic build rather than a round build (fat), I would likely have bought the Badlands jacket and pant, but I am happy with the Latitude.

I also took a hard look at Aerostich products and I think they are not keeping up with the competition.

I don't know where Klim products are manufactured and I just don't care. I purchase products based on an evaluation of features, technology, performance and price point, and nation of manufacture is simply not a consideration.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Rukka Armas

I have a Rukka Armas that is made with Gore-Tex Pro. Like the Klim, it is not cheap. The Armas has a two-part sleeve in which your glove goes in the middle so no worries about rain running down your arm into the glove or rain being pushed up into your sleeve. The Armas also has a detachable Gore-Tex collar. One of the problems I had trying to stay dry was with my helmet. Rain would simply run down my helmet and the collar on the helmet would get soaked. Once the collar got soaked it didn't take long for the moisture to run down my neck and then my shirt would get soaked. The solution to this was to cut the hood off of a Frogg-Toggs jacket I had and using velcro tabs I attach it to the Gore-Tex collar on my Armas. Any moisture in the helmet collar stayed on the outside of the hood. The hood is small enough it doesn't interfere with vision inside my full-face helmet. The hood is really only needed for rain lasting several hours.

·
$tromtrooper
2,378 Posts
I cooler weather, my FirstGear Kilimanjaro does a good job (*), but otherwise, I prefer a use-as-you-need-it rain suit. For that, I have a MotoPort rain jacket and pants. They guarantee to fit and will custom make if OTR won't do. They called me to confirm what I would be wearing underneath to allow proper fitting, but I underestimated, so the pants are more snug than I would like. Otherwise, pretty nice.

(*) Truth in advertising. The Kilis I've owned have been very good, but taking the GS in for its 600 mile service the other day to the shop 170 miles away, my wife's cell phone drowned in its waterproof pocket. I can't blame the Kili, though, because I just carelessly threw it in the pocket and concentrated on trying to out run (more like run out of) the tropical downpour I was in - 1.5 hours of black skies, lightening on top of me, howling winds, biblical rains, flooded roads, etc.

·
Registered
859 Posts
I also took a hard look at Aerostich products and I think they are not keeping up with the competition.
I don't know where Klim products are manufactured and I just don't care. I purchase products based on an evaluation of features, technology, performance and price point, and nation of manufacture is simply not a consideration.
Well maybe I "drank the cool-aid" but really have no complaints about the Aerostich gear. I know they have traditional Roadcrafter/Darien/Falstaff but they also have come up with more lightweight innovative products. I do also like the Klim gear, just find the price a little lofty being that most of it is probably manufactured in some sweatshop by an oppressed people who are essentially slave labor. I know Aerostich has offshored some of their line, which I don't care for, but am willing to pay the premium to support local tradesmen/women.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I have a Roadcrafter and it is totally waterproof. They have a new version out this year, the R3. Less lining and even better dry zippers.

For heat I use Duluth Trading Armachillo clothes up to 95F, and LDComfort above 96F. I've ridden in 110+ for days on end comfortably with the LD underwear under the 'Stich.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts