StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the years I have bought and tried many m/c gloves claiming, even guarrenteing that they are 100% waterproof. I have yet to find one that lives up to that claim.

I have also tried large dishwash gloves over top of my riding gloves, but then sweat/condensation becomes a problem.

My most recent glove (again, guarenteed) cost 85.00 cdn. The first rain I wore them in, I had a huge puddle inside the left thumb. I even have the suzuki handguards on my Wee.

Anyone out there know of a truly waterproof glove?....I must have about 15 different pairs of gloves in my pile.

Cheers!

ps: I am thinking I will need some "real" waterproof gloves for my Nfld run.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
Anyone out there know of a truly waterproof glove?....I must have about 15 different pairs of gloves in my pile.
I wonder how much overlap there is with your 15 and my 20. Most of mine haven't seen rain, but I always wear more than one pair in a day anyhow.

·
Clever Title
515 Posts
I've had good luck with neoprene fishing gloves in the past. Sometimes they come with textile liners, to absorb sweat. Your hands will always get sweaty, especially when they're insulated (ie., with gloves), so there will be *some* moisture for you to deal with.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
interesting.....

I have not tried a product like that over-glove, but they (or a similar brand) are available thru Aerostich here in North America.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
I gave up on "waterpruff" anything from moto vendors years ago!!! true waterpruff is defined by me as Gore-Tex for extreem wet weather type membranes.. so I tend to think along the Snowboarding/mountain/Ice climbers or commercial fishing sources...
http://www.ems.com/catalog/product_detail_square.jsp?PRODUCT<>prd_id=845524442588714&FOLDER<>folder_id=2534374302877974&bmUID=1174695864751

http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&productId=48097807&parent_category_rn=4501422&vcat=REI_SSHP_MENS_CLOTHING_TOC

Just my .02 $ :D

·
Premium Member
15,739 Posts
interesting.....

I have not tried a product like that over-glove, but they (or a similar brand) are available thru Aerostich here in North America.

The reviews that I have seen of the Aerostich products are very ordinary. The over gloves I linked have almost unanimous reviews for effectiveness and quality.
The big advantage of over gloves is that you can permanently store them on the bike for use in any situation, just put them over whatever you are wearing and away you go. If you take winter gloves and it turns warm you have a problem with heat and the reverse is worse. In addition over gloves protect your normal riding gloves by keeping them dry so you don't suffer problems from the leather getting wet then drying incorrectly as happens more often that not when you need to get the gloves dry in a short time because you want to use them again the next day.

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good info there dude, I have emailed the company to see if those gloves are available in North America. Shipping from Oz might be a killer.

Cheers

·
Registered
76 Posts
Gerbing Gloves

I met a two guys at breakfast last December and they were both wearing heated gloves. After speaking to them both said the gloves were supposed to be waterproof. The one guy's were Gerbing and he claimed that he had ridden for a week in Newfoundland in the spring with total waterproofness, but with some clammyness. After hearing this I went to the Gerbing dealer in Toronto (Toffee products) and bought a pair for my wife for Christmas and a pair for myself (not cheap at around $200 a pair.). I really believe warm hands are a safety feature. Anyway when I got them home, my wife's gloves had writing on them that said the gloves were waterproof with a waterproof membrane.
When I checked mine, they didn't have the same claim or the membrane. Derek at Toffee was most cooperative and took mine back and is trying to get a pair like my wife's, but he seems to be struggling. I even phoned Gerbing direct and they didn't seem to be completely aware of the differences in the two gloves. To make a long story short, if you can get the Gerbing Gloves with the membrane they should work.
Cheers
Bill

·
Registered
140 Posts
Waterproof over gloves

I too e-mailed the Australians, the exchange rate means the gloves will be a little less than advertised, parcel post shouldn't add too much?? Rides like BC has would suit these perfectly.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have a pair of heated Gerbings and they've kept me dry(and toasty warm) in pretty torrential rain storms. No leakage at the seams but my hands still got damp from the seepage coming it from the cuff area.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Over the years I have bought and tried many m/c gloves claiming, even guarrenteing that they are 100% waterproof. I have yet to find one that lives up to that claim.

I have also tried large dishwash gloves over top of my riding gloves, but then sweat/condensation becomes a problem.

My most recent glove (again, guarenteed) cost 85.00 cdn. The first rain I wore them in, I had a huge puddle inside the left thumb. I even have the suzuki handguards on my Wee.

Just curious, but do you put the jacket sleeve over the glove gauntlet when it rains? This is opposite from the usual way, but most long distance riders who ride a lot in rain have learned that is the only way to keep water from running down the jacket and into the gloves. If you don't do this, no gloves will be waterproof (been there, done that). I now can and have ridden days in rain with dry hands.

JDP

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Good tip there dude, yes, I eventually figured out that water was indeed running down my sleeves and into the glove.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Go to Marks Work wearhouse and buy a pair of there rubber work gloves with the long cuffs...cost about 7 bucks and with the money you save put heated grips on your bike. They work...put an elastic band at the top to keep the water from running back in the cuff...I have riding in all weather...works well or at least the best I'v found.

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I should add that I ordered the 2-2 finger split glove. The 1-3 is the only one listed at the moment on the site, but if you email, you can order a glove that puts 2 fingers together.

Cheers

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Where can one get those?.....not familiar with the brand.

Cheers

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
they are MSR [malcom smith raceing]made with gortex wind stoper material,they cost about 20 dollars,too be honest i got mine about five years ago when asking for winter gloves at the bike shop,i laughed as i thought he was jokeing as they are paper thin,i asked if you put them over regular gloves,no he said,even in cold and rain your hands stay warm,i got mine at the honda center in vancouver b.c.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts