StromTrooper banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
925 Posts
I'm not sure I understand the concept. It is still a liquid, isn't it? Seems like an expensive alternative to regular coolant/water 50-50 mix.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
claims it last forever , no problems from water like erosion , water pump lasts longer , aluminum rad never corodes etc..... and it does not pressurize the cooling system ....

·
Registered
58 Posts
The not pressurizing is a big selling point, it also has a much higher boiling point. It doesn't cool as well as water/antifreeze, so your engine will run hotter, but it can get much hotter than water before it boils, so it keeps working.

Here is a very hot test of the stuff.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkNz-ANfUkc

I'm not sold yet, but it does seem good. One thing that puts me off is that you can get coolant anywhere/use water in a pinch, whereas this stuff you kinda have to order and mixing it with water isn't the greatest.

·
Registered
14,228 Posts
" the Arctic grade coolant is good to -60° instead of -40°"

Somehow I don't see myself ever needing that. The fact it doesn't corrode sounds like a benefit.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I used to use it for track days. It doesn't make a slick spot it you crash and spill coolant. Didn't see any difference in performance.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
The Evans coolant SDS states it is 80 to 85% Ethylene glycol AKA hazardous stuff. Propylene glycol is the other common type glycol and is vegetable oil based. Environmentally safer but slippery on the track.

I'd bet that "waterless" coolant is 100% waterless. I have bough 10's of thousands of glycol for use as freeze protection in piping systems. You pick either ethylene or propylene base at a given concentration. To get to the concentration it is diluted with water and corrosion inhibitors to protect the metals in the system.

Straight 100% "antifreeze" aka glycol is technically waterless. Glycol does lower freeze point and raise boiling point but it also does not add or reject heat as efficiently as water and that is one reason it is diluted.

·
Registered
76 Posts

·
Premium Member
591 Posts
has anyone experience with waterless coolant like this evans stuff

Evans Coolant EC72064 Powersports Waterless Engine Coolant, 64 fl. oz. | eBay

is it any good ?
I had my valves last checked at 32,000 miles (1st check at 23,000) by my dealer who I have used for the last 35+ years. The mechanic who did my valves has been there 22+ years and is very meticulous. I asked him to change out my cooling system Fluid for me while it was all apart. I asked him what he thought of the Evans Waterless Coolant and he was very much in favor of it. The service manager who I have known 35+ years also recommended it.

By the way the valves were all perfect 8's & 10's. He filled out my valve map to record all as found and as left dimensions. He also came out when it was disassembled so I could see for myself the condition of all the internals.

I'm now at almost 38K. The temp gauge has never been past 3 bars even on 100+ degree f days. No liquid seepage anywhere. Fluid level never moved. There is no pressure in the system and you can remove the cap without fear of getting scalded. There is no(zero) water in the Evans so no corrosion in any fluid passages of the this all aluminum engine. That is a huge advantage. I am very pleased with the Evans Waterless Coolant.

·
Registered
14,228 Posts
" I will be using 0w-xx oil as well"

Unless it's a winter ride I don't think Arctic oil values will make that much difference.
i rode in 10 degree Texas temps with 20-50 Castrol in my BMW's never had a problem.
That's the problem with cross country touring, many temps and conditions on a daily basis.
most oils are up to providing protection and lubrication for your engine.

·
Registered
21,984 Posts
" I will be using 0w-xx oil as well"

Unless it's a winter ride I don't think Arctic oil values will make that much difference.
i rode in 10 degree Texas temps with 20-50 Castrol in my BMW's never had a problem.
That's the problem with cross country touring, many temps and conditions on a daily basis.
most oils are up to providing protection and lubrication for your engine.
I tried to go for a ride once @ -25°, with 10w40, just wouldn't crank fast enuf, warmed it up with my salamander heater, by the time I got it started, it was only -12°. normally my bike is parked in my heated basement, but I have to be concerned with starts when I am travelling

Rotella makes a 0w40 synthetic, readily available in Canada and Alaska, and harder to find in the lower 48

oil, antifreeze, and a few extra CCA in the battery are my biggest concerns

·
Registered
50 Posts
FWIW, I ran Engine Ice in my race quad this season for 1.5hr harescramble races. A couple of races were in the upper 80's, low 90's and I did not have any issues. My only hesitation to running it in my Strom would be availability in case I needed some in BFE America.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts