StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am trying to find a way to make the water repel of off my windscreen like rain-x does for my trucks windshield.

what are people using/doing out there to effectively make the water run off while riding? i don't mind riding in the rain, but it would be nice to be able to see through my screen and not just look at a sheet of water drops...

i'm sure this has probably been asked before but i couldn't find a thread about it here using the search.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Pledge furniture wax:yesnod: Or a lower screen:beatnik:

·
Premium Member
1,613 Posts
Plexus

Plexus works great in the rain for visors and will clean all the shiny plastic Vstrom parts.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Pledge works well for a coupl'a days on both the windscreen and face shield, and does no damage. It will hold dust, but that's not today's concern.

Rain-X is OK on some plastics and damages others. You might try it in an inconspicuous spot.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Pledge or Plexus, either works for me. Pledge is cheaper....

·
Registered
495 Posts
carnuba wax does wonders on the windsheild and helmet visor. pearls water away quickly and leaves no smudge or trace.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
Water on my windscreen never bothered me, neither did water on my helmet visor. Ride faster, it'll get blown off...
Especially at night on twisty mountain roads shrouded in fog, abundant with blind, decreasing-radius descending turns, littered with leaves and with lots of oncoming traffic oblivious to the effect of their high beams on others.

More speed is always the best solution for less-than-optimal conditions.

Either that or Lemon Pledge, or gloves with built-in squeegee blades, or Lemon-Lime Pledge, in some situations well-vented goggles or perhaps Orange Pledge, safety glasses, or Grapefruit Pledge, Rain-X, maybe even Tangerine Pledge.............

Irony indicated with italics.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Especially at night on twisty mountain roads shrouded in fog, abundant with blind, decreasing-radius descending turns, littered with leaves and with lots of oncoming traffic oblivious to the effect of their high beams on others.

More speed is always the best solution for less-than-optimal conditions.

Either that or Lemon Pledge, or gloves with built-in squeegee blades, or Lemon-Lime Pledge, in some situations well-vented goggles or perhaps Orange Pledge, safety glasses, or Grapefruit Pledge, Rain-X, maybe even Tangerine Pledge.............

Irony indicated with italics.
Now you're making me feel I need a viper on my visor...:jawdrop:

A few months ago i had to ride to Baltimore from Raleigh. I was going over I-395 when it started sprinkling, so I took exit and ended up beside the national Mall in traffic. Since it was Friday and I still had some business going on, I received a call from work. Once I acceppted the call it started pouring, so, in traffic, I managed to take some side residential road and park under tree. While on the phone, I put my FroggToggs and went on, but had to stop since I did not see anything through my tinted visor - it was 2-3 in the afternoon, but dark because of clouds. At this time the person on the other side pissed me off and I finished the conversation with intent to call later. I stopped and changed the visor to clear one. Well, once I rode again, I couldn't see again because it was not only covered with water outside but fogging in the inside. Cannot open it, the rain hurts. OK, I stopped again and put my clear googles on when I received another call. Now, the streets are almost flooded, heavy rain, me in googles, trying to talk and swallow the rain accumulating in my mouth.

It was actually pretty cool, me, pissed off, articulating with hands at red lights, in rain, passing traffic left and right, accelerating, breaking etc.. I managed to overcome the traffic and still stock for an hour in Baltimore-Washington Parkway, or whatever the road parallels I-95...

But, I never thought about repelling water from windscreen, nor visor. Or, by the way, from the post above I know what that rubber piece on my left glove for now... :headbang: So, how do I attach the glove to my visor?

·
Registered
942 Posts
Pledge furniture wax:yesnod: Or a lower screen:beatnik:
+1 on Pledge. I use it on my bike's windscreen as well as on my helmet's face shield. Lasts about two days in constant rain.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
I know what that rubber piece on my left glove for now... :headbang: So, how do I attach the glove to my visor?
If you had kept the foggy visor on you could have incorporated a couple of quick wipes into your gesturing while you were talking on the phone, directing traffic and conducting the Washington Philharmonic. You can also use the pinky finger blade to spread peanut butter on a sandwich, sort prescription drugs into handy weekly organizers or to scrape crumbs from a table, if you should so choose.

I don't mind riding at night, I don't mind riding in the rain. Combining the two, however, in traffic, can be problematic - unless there's a sure-fire way to keep the face shield clear.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Car wax or your favorite brand, any brand will do just fine.

I prefere to use Mothers Carnuba Wax. It smells yummy.

(PS: What the hell is a Carnuba?)

·
Registered
321 Posts
I don't mind riding at night, I don't mind riding in the rain. Combining the two, however, in traffic, can be problematic - unless there's a sure-fire way to keep the face shield clear.
I once had to ride find friends wallet at night, 65 miles north to Roanoke, on Blue Ridge Parkway. I felt like I was riding Safari... I never had my eyes wide opened that much... :yikes:

Back to the rain vs windshield... Anybody tryed to go through Car Wash on a bike wth RainX sprinkle?

·
Registered
334 Posts
Car wax or your favorite brand, any brand will do just fine.

I prefere to use Mothers Carnuba Wax. It smells yummy.

(PS: What the hell is a Carnuba?)
Here's your answer, from the Meguiare's site:-

Carnauba is the hardest natural occurring wax available. Carnauba is primarily harvested from palm trees in Brazil. The wax is melted down and added to Meguiar's formulations to enhance their durability and protection against the environment as well as adding gloss to your car's finish. Meguiar's uses only #1 yellow Carnauba wax, the most costly and highest quality grade.

There are other companies touting the fact that they use an even higher grade of Carnauba wax called Ivory Carnauba wax. Ivory Carnauba wax is simply #1 yellow Carnauba wax that has been decolorized to remove the natural yellow color. The decolorizing process in no way, shape or form increases the quality of the Carnauba wax. If anything, the decolorizing process could diminish the quality of the Carnauba because the chemicals used are rather harsh. Decolorizing Carnauba is an unnecessary step that would appear to be more of a marketing ploy to create a perception of "added value" - when in reality it is much to do about nothing - to put a few more dollars in the hands of the seller
Cheers,
Trav.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts
In hundreds of thousands of miles with bikes having windscreens, I've never looked through a windscreen in the rain. I've always looked over it. There seems to be a small deflection zone where most of the water goes off my windscreen and over my helmet visor but there is still airflow to clear most of the water that does get on the windscreen. Also, the visor is way out of my focus zone as it is so close to my eyes so I can see better in a downpour than car drivers can. I've ridden through storms that have caused cars to pull off the road. I do need to use an anti fog wipe on my glasses. The coating on the HJC visor handles fog pretty well.

·
Registered
230 Posts
GreyWolf,

I will admit that last Friday in massive rain while going from Pittsburgh to Columbus, for 2 hours it was just huge rain drops and was hammering me. I was taking "breaks" by kicking my feet onto the rear passanger pegs and laying on my tank bag and looking through the WindStrom Manta.... it really puts you out of the power washer like rain I was driving 80 MPH in for 2 hours. The Mothers wax worked like a champ though!

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts
I've hidden behind the screen in hail, but not in rain. The water is in focus and hard to see through unless the screen was recently Pledged and bug free.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
welcome to my morning commute! in the dark and rain...

thank you all for the replies, looks like i will be picking up some pledge tonight tonight to give it a try!

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
In hundreds of thousands of miles with bikes having windscreens, I've never looked through a windscreen in the rain. I've always looked over it. There seems to be a small deflection zone where most of the water goes off my windscreen and over my helmet visor but there is still airflow to clear most of the water that does get on the windscreen. Also, the visor is way out of my focus zone as it is so close to my eyes so I can see better in a downpour than car drivers can. I've ridden through storms that have caused cars to pull off the road. I do need to use an anti fog wipe on my glasses. The coating on the HJC visor handles fog pretty well.
i don't like to look through the windscreen, but i either have my givi touring screen or a chopped way down stock screen (both came with the bike) and for this weather and cooler morning i like the tall givi for wind protection, but that being said i have to have it on the tallest setting to not get buffeting on my head. so until i can afford to buy a stock screen and a madstad (this is my conclusion for a fix for buffeting) i am stuck using the tall givi and having to look through it for the most part.

i do look it over it from time to time when it gets really bad but it's not easy or comfortable for me to do so.

so when i get my windscreen set-up how i like it/want it, i should never have to look through it ever again.

not to mention but one reason i have this issue is that in the morning commute i am in quite a bit of traffic, so it's really uneven airflow from the backs of cars, and it's the fine mist coming off of the road in addition to the drops coming down.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts