StromTrooper banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
when did anyone change their water pump seal ...i've done 65000 klms and am thinking of changing it b4 it leaves me dry...lol:jawdrop:

·
Registered
321 Posts
when did anyone change their water pump seal ...i've done 65000 klms and am thinking of changing it b4 it leaves me dry...lol:jawdrop:
I had all parts to rebuild the Water Pump and about 3 weeks ago was replacing clutch basket as modification. After observation of impeller, bearings and mechanical seal, I only used o-ring for the cover - all parts were intact. At 42K miles.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
same reason here for the replacement i need to do the clutch so i was going to do the pump...

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
76,000 miles here, and I've never bothered. I do have all the parts at the ready. I've seen the occasional drop of antifreeze from the weep hole on very cold mornings, but that's been unchanged for 30,000 miles.

FWIW, this type of mechanical seal never really "blows out" -- it just slowly drips more and more. You should have plenty of warning. Just have all the parts on the shelf ready to go and you'll be fine.

With that said, if I needed to remove the clutch cover for some other reason on a higher-mileage Vee, I would go ahead and replace the water pump seals, bearings, impeller, etc. while I was in there just to save time.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts