StromTrooper banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
long story short, I was replacing the impellar on my '07 V. My brother decided to try to help, and screwed up the "mechanical seal" that is mated to "seal, water pump shaft", by trying to remove it with pliers. It's way messed up now, but not coming out by pulling. I do have a new seal set for it. The shaft seal is on a spring, the mechanical seal seems to be pressed into the clutch cover. I cant find it on any drawings, only in the manual on page 5-14. I wasnt going to replace this set, but now have to. The service manual shows using a "bearing remover set" to pull it out. Any other ideas how to get it out without buying the tool? I know, take it to a shop, but teach me here folks!

thanks

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
So no one had any advice for this guy?

That's a shame because I'm in the same predicament myself. Got the bearings out and the rubber seal, but not the pressed in mechanical seal. Any tips on how to get this sucker out other than demolishing it? :confused:

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,049 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
Thanks Greywolf.

I've lost count of how many of Barry's finely documented procedures I've read. I hadn't seen that one before.

It's a different bike (his is a 650, mine is a 1000), but the principle is the same. He mashed the hell out of the seal to get it out too. If that method is good enough for him, it's good enough for me.

Now onto helicoiling stripped clutch pressure plate threads. The 7lb pressure the manual calls for is too much it turns out.

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
I drifted it out with a socket but I really had to bash on it to get it to move. I had to use so much force I was really concerned about breaking the case. I ended up using a few old hockey pucks I had laying around to make a sort of crib for the case and then one swift bash with a hammer and it was out. The bearings came out much easier.

All done and installed now.

The old oil seal was toast (120 000 kms) even though it wasn't leaking. It just disintegrated when I removed it. New bearings, seals and impellar installed, along with a new Werks clutch basket.

Had a chance for a quick 5-minute coolant burping ride this afternoon - all feels good. Won't get a chance for a real test until Tuesday - going fishing tomorrow. Curious to see what difference the new basket makes.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Doesn't anyone believe in using heat and cold to remove or install press fit metal bushings or bearings? An oven, torch, dry ice, liquid nitrogen (I know liquid nitrogen might not be available to everyone) Dry ice is available at my local grocery store. I use this method everyday at work. If it works on a jet engine, I'm sure it will work on a WEE or VEE Strom motor. Just a thought.

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
Doesn't anyone believe in using heat and cold to remove or install press fit metal bushings or bearings? An oven, torch, dry ice, liquid nitrogen (I know liquid nitrogen might not be available to everyone) Dry ice is available at my local grocery store. I use this method everyday at work. If it works on a jet engine, I'm sure it will work on a WEE or VEE Strom motor. Just a thought.
I do put bearings in the freezer and use a heat gun. That mechanical seal was a real bitch to get loose nonetheless. Just being extra cautious.

My next bike will have a jet engine and my next shop will be stocked with liquid nitrogen. I'm going to check my lottery ticket when I log off. :biggrinjester:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts