StromTrooper banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
New to the forum and new to riding. I bought an '07 650 Strom over the winter got my license about a month ago and started riding. The bike has around 66k on it. I started commuting to work on it this week (about 60 miles round trip) and when I went out to the garage this morning noticed a small puddle of coolant under the bike. It's coming from the hose beneath the bike that is connected to the water pump. My first question: Does this mean pump failure is imminent? My second question: if failure is imminent how difficult is it to replace? I'm not very comfortable around engines. I can change my oil and do basic adjustments but that's about the most I've ever tried to tackle. I've looked at the shop manual at it seems pretty involved. My third question: If I ended up taking it to a shop does anyone have an idea of how much it could cost?

Thanks for any info and I apologize if this is question has already been addressed in a previous post.

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,522 Posts
Hi all,
New to the forum and new to riding. I bought an '07 650 Strom over the winter got my license about a month ago and started riding. The bike has around 66k on it. I started commuting to work on it this week (about 60 miles round trip) and when I went out to the garage this morning noticed a small puddle of coolant under the bike. It's coming from the hose beneath the bike that is connected to the water pump. My first question: Does this mean pump failure is imminent? My second question: if failure is imminent how difficult is it to replace? I'm not very comfortable around engines. I can change my oil and do basic adjustments but that's about the most I've ever tried to tackle. I've looked at the shop manual at it seems pretty involved. My third question: If I ended up taking it to a shop does anyone have an idea of how much it could cost?

Thanks for any info and I apologize if this is question has already been addressed in a previous post.
Hello Slouch, and welcome to the forum! Especially since you are from Maine!

The first thing you will want to check are the hose connections. It just may be that one of the hose clamps needs to be tightened down. You will also want to check the actual radiator for leaks. Is the radiator "weeping" coolant and it is trickling down to the floor from a place that makes it look like its coming from the water pump? Shine a flashlight around to check things out.

There is a "weep hole" near the bottom of the water pump. If you see coolant coming out of there, then I suggest replacing the seals.

If you decide the replace the seals, this article may help you decide if you want to do the work yourself, or you have someone else do it.

Rebuilding The Water Pump | Black Lab Adventures

Ride Safe!

Barry

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Barry! That's a great article you have there. I'll have to admit it seems pretty intimidating to someone of my skill level. Do you think it's safe to continue riding the bike as I figure out how best to deal with the problem? I'd hate to cause any further damage but at the same time I don't want to park it if I don't have to.

Also, I think you are probably personally familiar with this bike as I bought it from your friend Amy this winter. She refered me to your site when I was in the process of buying it.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
As long as you watch your coolant level, it's not a big deal for a while. In fact, sometimes the cause is a bit of crud stuck in the seal lip that can get dislodged and eliminate the leak on its own. The downside of that is said crud can score the pump shaft eventually. If the rebuild process seems daunting, a new pump is about $200.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks grey wolf. It's good to know I can still ride while sorting this out. If I just wanted to replace the pump with a new one would I still have to remove the clutch cover or could I just remove the hoses, pop it off, and replace it?

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
The clutch cover has to be removed to replace the pump. That means draining oil and coolant and a new gasket.

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,522 Posts
Thanks Barry! That's a great article you have there. I'll have to admit it seems pretty intimidating to someone of my skill level. Do you think it's safe to continue riding the bike as I figure out how best to deal with the problem? I'd hate to cause any further damage but at the same time I don't want to park it if I don't have to.

Also, I think you are probably personally familiar with this bike as I bought it from your friend Amy this winter. She refered me to your site when I was in the process of buying it.

Okay, I have the connection now. Amy never spent anytime here on this forum. She preferred to "just ride", then learn about the bike.

The person she bought it from was forum member, "tmcgee". That's, Tom McGee outside of Boston. Look for him here on the forum, and he would be happy to answer any specific questions you have about your bike. (It's quite possible that you have my .90 Sonic Springs in your forks!)

I haven't heard from Amy for quite some time. We took a short day ride last year, before she got rid of the Buell, and then bought what is now your V-Strom.

I am sure that I will see you at some point this season!

Regards,

Barry

1 - 7 of 7 Posts