StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I' am in the planning stages for my Alaska trip next year, getting my "need/want" list together. I have never owned waterproof gloves after all these years of riding. I have grip warmers. I've ridden tons in the rain, but always in decent temps. I've trolled the forums and really haven't found much other than a lot of gloves when wet, the liners get pulled out and are a "PITA". Any experience would be appreciated. Going in June , hopefully. It's going to be a "destination" ride vs leisurely site seeing ride. A leisurely ride will come later in life. I could write a book on why. It will be 17-18 days. I live in central Mn. Any body that wants to hop on let me know.

·
Registered
176 Posts
For milder temps, I like the Speed and Strength Urge Overkill waterproof gloves (wore these to work today actually!). They have never leaked on me and are lighter weight so you maintain dexterity on the controls. Speed and Strength Urge Overkill Gloves - RevZilla

For colder temps, I have the AGV Sport Telluride gloves. They are thicker and much warmer and have not leaked either. But definitely more vague feeling on the controls that goes along with the warmer gloves. AGV Sport Telluride Touring Gloves - RevZilla

I like these two pairs because I don't have long thin hands/fingers required for AlpineStars and some other "euro" gloves. Both of these fit well and are comfortable. And neither of these have removable liners to "pull out and be a "PITA".

·
Premium Member
4,382 Posts

·
Administrator
17,020 Posts
I have found nothing to be fully waterproof and comfortable, gloves that dry fast with heated grips on is what works best for me.

·
Registered
699 Posts
For the cold & wet

Hippo hands/gauntlets are worth the hassle of adapting to them. If you have heated grips, you can get away with lighter gloves for better dexterity.

·
Premium Member
2,231 Posts
I've had good results with the Held Score gloves, though the toughest test they've had so far is an hour of medium-to-heavy rain. They're no longer available unfortunately, but the Held Warm-n-Dry seems to be the direct replacement. Not cheap, but top quality.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Aerostitch triple digit covers work for me - completely waterproof, but kind of a PITA to get on and they would be better with grippy material on the palms and fingers.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
I have a pair of Gore-Tex Olympia. These are a heavier, winter type glove; a little bulky, but warm. I've only used them a couple of times in the rain, but they stayed dry. I like the wiper feature on the thumb, which really helps in steady rain. But if your hands are wet, even damp, they are a PIA to get on.

·
Registered
7,437 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,877 Posts
F...For cold temps I use Tourmaster Winter Elites (Tour Master Winter Elite II MT Gloves - RevZilla), then add an liner glove and/or the Triple Digits as needed.
Another vote for the Tourmaster Winter Elites. Great gloves. If you're out all day in a steady rain, and don't use the covers they will eventually leak, but I've never found a glove that wouldn't in those conditions. I really like that the covers are built in, so they're always with you and handy.
If you don't already have handguards, get some. They help a bunch with keeping your hands warm and dry.

·
Registered
64 Posts
My wife and I have the Held Warm & Dry. So far they are a great match to my heated grips. We've never been wet while wearing them in the pouring rain.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Does the hippo hands fit over hand guards? I saw a lot of these in Europe , everything from scooters to big bikes

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
You might want to consider fisherman's gloves. They're made of a neoprene type of material that is 100% waterproof. The insides are coated with some sort of soft fuzzy stuff to make them easy to slip on and off. The down side is that they can make your hands sweat, making it hard to get them off. But you won't soak your regular riding gloves. Another option is to get a set of Xl or XXL rubber gloves, like the Rubbermaid ones you get for doing the dishes. Just slip them on over your lightweight leather riding gloves.

·
Registered
5,444 Posts
Another option is to get a set of Xl or XXL rubber gloves, like the Rubbermaid ones you get for doing the dishes. Just slip them on over your lightweight leather riding gloves.
That may be the best solution. On my last AK trip encountering days of rain I found that my motorcycle-specific Gore-Tex gloves (can't remember the brand) kept my hands dry while wearing them, but every time I took them off to take a piss or something my wet fingers were VERY difficult to reinsert, the fleecy liners getting damp and all bunched up after a few cycles.

And, no, I didn't piss on my fingers.:green_lol:

·
Registered
458 Posts
Neat Idea

Somewhere else on this forum someone said to put on your gloves and then put on your jacket. The gent said the rain never gets in. I haven't tried it yet but will with long gauntlet Tourmaster II heated, gore-tex leather gloves. I have found the gloves don't leak but water does get in by going down the jacket sleeve (speculation). I agree with he who did not do it on his fingers that whenever you take off the wet gloves, things will go down hill. His idea seem somewhat like flashing on a chimney and seems like it would work well until you take the things off. If you take your jacket off first, the inside sleeve gets wet from the wet gloves, or you pull the wet gloves off (better).

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Industrial long gauntlet rubber gloves big enough to fit over warm liners or leather work gloves. Something like this: Wells Lamont 167L Heavyweight PVC Fully Coated Gloves, Cotton Jersey Lining, 14-inch Gauntlet Cuff, Large, Green - Amazon.com
Aerostich has them for a few bucks. Bright green ugly color but they work well. They are lighter weight and don't detract much from feel at the controls. I have a pair permanently in on of my Stich pockets. That way at least my hands stay dry, even if the Stich lets in some moisture after hours in the rain. My goretex gloves were totally soaked after a long day riding in the rain, so this is the better (and cheaper) solution. Take at least one spare set for that long trip since they are not so tough and may get damaged on your trip.

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
my wet fingers were VERY difficult to reinsert, the fleecy liners getting damp and all bunched up after a few cycles.
Put powder into the gloves. I use deodorant foot powder. Palms and soles have the same type of sweat glands. My hands get sweaty; my gloves get stinky just like dirty sox.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Does the hippo hands fit over hand guards? I saw a lot of these in Europe , everything from scooters to big bikes
Yes, they do if you buy the right size. I believe the website you order them on tells you which size to get to fit over the OEM Suzuki hand guards. Mine fit with no issues (other than the fact that they don't keep my hands as warm as I thought they would).

To keep my hands dry I use Rain Off overgloves. They do reduce the feel you have for your controls slightly, but they absolutely keep your hands completely and utterly dry in any of the rain I have ridden in.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts