StromTrooper banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,418 Posts
He was watching his mirrors, good practice. He just made it too. Reminder of the driving skills of folks out there that we share the road with.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Utterly unbelievable. I try to remember to watch my mirrors, but I've lots of room for improvement using that technique. I'm with VSrider, no way I could react that fast. :(

·
Registered
16 Posts
There's some cycling rear light technology being developed currently that incorporates sensors that make the rear light flasher step up its intensity and speed up the flashing as vehicles approach. The final phase of its process is to audibly warn the cyclist if a rear approaching vehicle is just getting too close too fast. Might be something I'd look at for use on the moto to avoid situations like this where you only take your eyes away for a split second.

That was a very close call.

·
Premium Member
1,634 Posts
100% of the blame here is on the truck driver. He was set up to run that red light regardless if the scooter rider had been there or not.

Having said that, the rider was not very visible in any case. Tiny taillight, black or very dark clothing, etc. I doubt if being more visible would have made any difference in this particular case, but you never know.

I watch my mirrors constantly, but I also think I would not have reacted that fast.

·
Premium Member
4,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The scary part of this for me is, even if you saw it coming, and rolled out to the side, there is no way to know if the truck wouldn't swerve in the same direction and get you anyways, or a car coming the other direction gets you. There is no time to look first. A nightmare scenario.

This guy was extremely lucky but it was his skill at power rolling that ultimately saved his life. Maybe we should all go out to the parking lot and practice this one. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
437 Posts
100% of the blame here is on the truck driver. He was set up to run that red light regardless if the scooter rider had been there or not.

Having said that, the rider was not very visible in any case. Tiny taillight, black or very dark clothing, etc. I doubt if being more visible would have made any difference in this particular case, but you never know.

I watch my mirrors constantly, but I also think I would not have reacted that fast.
Couldn't agree more!

It almost looks like he was sitting there without the brake on. I may seem paranoid, but I always keep the bike in gear, the brake on and pointed at an escape route. Hopefulyl I would have seen this coming from behind and would have been ready to run the red light. I don't plan on leaving the bike if I'm ever put in this situation.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I don't want to be too critical, but it appears the motorcycle pulled up past the stop bar into a darker portion of the street. It's still the truck driver's fault, but maybe he could have seen the motorcycle a bit better if the motorcycle had been behind the stop bar. Just my observation.......

1 - 15 of 15 Posts