StromTrooper banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In this video, Honda Grom crash at Deals Gap, the not-so-lucky rider crashes (at 4:40-4:41) and has attributed it to the peg lifting the rear tire. But what I see is that he routinely hits or crosses the fog line on leftward curves, and that he lost traction just as he touched the line on that last turn.

I've seen a few other videos where somebody goes down as they try to get traction on the painted centerline, in an otherwise steadily leaned turn, so it is quite clear that those painted lines often provide less traction that the bare pavement. (It is also clear from more fundamental considerations, but those experiments prove the idea.)

In this case, he gets plenty of flack for crossing the double yellow lines, but nobody mentions the hazard of reduced traction on painted lines. The peg hitting explanation seemed bogus to me, since I thought bikes not in the touring class have pegs that fold up a little when they touch the pavement. A picture of the peg for a 2013 model (Honda Grom foot peg) shows that it does fold, so it looks like that inadvertent off-roader latched onto the wrong culprit for his woe. (It's a mental disease to attribute accidents solely to your equipment when your own behavior was a significant contributor.)

Anybody disagree?

·
Registered
86 Posts
In this video, Honda Grom crash at Deals Gap, the not-so-lucky rider crashes (at 4:40-4:41) and has attributed it to the peg lifting the rear tire. But what I see is that he routinely hits or crosses the fog line on leftward curves, and that he lost traction just as he touched the line on that last turn.

I've seen a few other videos where somebody goes down as they try to get traction on the painted centerline, in an otherwise steadily leaned turn, so it is quite clear that those painted lines often provide less traction that the bare pavement. (It is also clear from more fundamental considerations, but those experiments prove the idea.)

In this case, he gets plenty of flack for crossing the double yellow lines, but nobody mentions the hazard of reduced traction on painted lines. The peg hitting explanation seemed bogus to me, since I thought bikes not in the touring class have pegs that fold up a little when they touch the pavement. A picture of the peg for a 2013 model (Honda Grom foot peg) shows that it does fold, so it looks like that inadvertent off-roader latched onto the wrong culprit for his woe. (It's a mental disease to attribute accidents solely to your equipment when your own behavior was a significant contributor.)

Anybody disagree?
His cameraman is pretty far behind him at the point where he eats it, but it's pretty clear to me he changed his line in that last turn. He goes from bent to up to trying to bend again, and chopping the throttle or pinching the brakes while trying to re-line a turn like that can cause a low side, which is what seemed to happen. Not so sure the lines were complicit and I'm definitely calling BS on his dissection of the crash - he was just starting to re-bend on the new line he'd picked - nowhere near where he'd have needed to be to grind a peg.

My two cents, he chopped the throttle trying to set up a new line and that's what caused his ride to lose traction, low-side.

·
Super Moderator
4,515 Posts
Two "experienced" riders trying to teach a learner how to become the next Marc Marquez. Probably someones younger brother. As any good racer will say "first you learn the lines - then you add the speed". A pity the tutors did not know how to teach.

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
several things could have been done better and safer. Never let your body cross the yellow line. Give room for an on-coming truck with wide mirrors or crowding that yellow line. Be wary of leaning across the white line in case of a sign pole, etc. Lean into the turn much more and don't worry about dragging a knee.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Be wary of leaning across the white line in case of a sign pole, etc. .
Deadly accident waiting to happen near me. A beautiful but old bumpy road near me was just re paved. It is fantastic but a problem is in the waiting. There is a downhill right hand corner that now has a tree barely away from the apex of the turn. Re paving widened the road a little and the tree is closer to the road now. It is a popular riding road.
Unluckily it will probably be someone in a group trying to keep up with other bikes that will meet vital body parts with that tree.

I remember when I was younger going around right hand corners with weeds smacking me in the shoulder and the side of the helmet, never giving a second thought about a reflector post or anything else being part of it.

·
Registered
14,228 Posts
"I remember when I was younger going around right hand corners with weeds smacking me in the shoulder and the side of the helmet, never giving a second thought about a reflector post or anything else being part of it."

I think some young feller whacked his head on the dividing construction on the Pasadena Freeway some time ago. It has a few nice bends and he was hanging off and got too close to the center divider and bonked himself good.
Better to save heroics for the track where the sight lines are better.
Our local Hwy2 has spring flower growth that is hampering the sight lines the fire a few years ago created. Dang deer hide on the roadside.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts