StromTrooper banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My ABS has been coming on after riding about 10 blocks. I thought I had it fixed with a cleaning, but nope, it came on again next ride.

While bike was in for recall I asked them to fix it for me, first thing they did was to clean the silver ring out as it had some built up dirt, but after riding the bike home the light came on again, so I took it back this morning.

They had a closer look at the silver ABS ring on the rear wheel and found one spot where the metal was a tiny bit bent, just a notch, straightened it and issue resolved.

So be very careful when changing your own tires and if your ABS light comes on, you might want to inspect front and back rings for any dents. The metal is very thin and delicate. I wonder if a safety cover would help protect that from rocks, or would that just make it worse?

·
Registered
256 Posts
This was a problem when I picked my bike up when it was new. They took it for a test drive and the ABS light kept coming on and the brakes would fluctuate. They almost tore the bike apart until we (I had stopped in to see how they were doing) noticed the front ABS ring was bent. Swapped the whole front wheel with another bike just be sure and it was fine. The moral here is check your ABS rings first if your ABS system acts up before you panic like BugMagnet said.

·
Registered
712 Posts
The moral here is check your ABS rings first if your ABS system acts up before you panic like BugMagnet said.
When you or your mechanic are removing and especially reinstalling a wheel, for tire changing or other reason, it's a good idea to remove the sensors (F and R). When reinstalling the rear wheel the first time I had it off, I noticed interference, which was the sensor and the ABS ring making contact as I jiggled and fiddled. A little more klutzy and I'd have broken or bent something.

Reactions: sbeadg and Bugzy

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
I hope this is the answer I'm looking for...I changed my front tire today and now my front brake needs to be 'pumped up' every time I stop...
I'll check the front ring tomorrow.
Thanks!

·
Premium Member
4,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I hope this is the answer I'm looking for...I changed my front tire today and now my front brake needs to be 'pumped up' every time I stop...
Thanks!
That sounds more like a leak in your brake line. Is there any fluid leaking? Hard to imagine how that could happen from a tire swap. You may need to bleed it to get any air out of the lines.

Maybe you got a bit of grease or WD-40 on the disk? That would burn off pretty quick, but initially the brake feels like it is not grabbing. Is the lever loose when you squeeze it?

·
Registered
650 Posts
Just keep pumping the lever whilst not riding and (normally) it would be right after a few pumps. This happens when the caliper pistons are moved in or out when wheel changing. I usually find one of the pads might get a bit dislodged so I have to force the caliper apart a bit,thereby moving the pistons and affecting the fluid in the mastercylinder.
Bleeding should not be necessary unless you undid something you shouldnt have- or forced back the pistons so much that something in the mastercylinder has been affected. I have not seen this happen before though.
If a few good pumps doesn't restore lever feel then- as Bugmagnet says, you will have to bleed the brakes and go from there.

·
Administrator
17,529 Posts
Any pics of these "delicate rings" of which we speak? thanks
Go look at your front wheel and see where the abs sensor is, the ring will be very obvious. :wink2:

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
That sounds more like a leak in your brake line. Is there any fluid leaking? Hard to imagine how that could happen from a tire swap. You may need to bleed it to get any air out of the lines.

Maybe you got a bit of grease or WD-40 on the disk? That would burn off pretty quick, but initially the brake feels like it is not grabbing. Is the lever loose when you squeeze it?
Just keep pumping the lever whilst not riding and (normally) it would be right after a few pumps. This happens when the caliper pistons are moved in or out when wheel changing. I usually find one of the pads might get a bit dislodged so I have to force the caliper apart a bit,thereby moving the pistons and affecting the fluid in the mastercylinder.
Bleeding should not be necessary unless you undid something you shouldnt have- or forced back the pistons so much that something in the mastercylinder has been affected. I have not seen this happen before though.
If a few good pumps doesn't restore lever feel then- as Bugmagnet says, you will have to bleed the brakes and go from there.
Agree with both, I've never had this problem before. I went for a few miles ride to see if it would straiten out but no...still had to pump the lever at each stop.

I didn't force the pads any farther apart than needed, no leaks noted, bike only has 24K on it.....I dunno...I'll look at it again tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
4,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here is a thought, the front wheel can be installed either way around right? meaning it would be possible to flip the wheel so the brake rotors are opposite.

If that happened the brake pads would need to readjust to the different rotors.

·
Registered
650 Posts
A fraction of a millimetre wont be enough mate,assuming the pads and rotors have worn at different rates.

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
Here is a thought, the front wheel can be installed either way around right? meaning it would be possible to flip the wheel so the brake rotors are opposite.

If that happened the brake pads would need to readjust to the different rotors.
I made certain to replace the same way it came off.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
Anybody know if those same rings are used for the speedo?
The ECM does use the ABS sensors and rings to deliver the speed reading to the speedometer on the Vee2. Other models have separate speedo sensors.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Thanks!
I just had a similar issue with my 650 ABS but on the rear. I knew I cross threaded the bolt in the caliper but it was on. What I did not realize is that the caliper was cocked sideways just enough that I lost brake at the pedal. The piston would close up the pads but because the piston was hitting pads at an angle, the piston was being forced back and I had no brake. So if you removed the calipers, make sure they are not installed slightly off.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts