StromTrooper banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I would post about this since it's probably not something most people think about. My bikes are covered in an unheated garage so it gets pretty cold when the temps drop. Then when we have a warmer, very humid day (like today) and the garage door is opened, that moisture condenses on everything. The bike covers only make the problem worse. This has happened a couple of times recently; I wipe off what I can reach and then use a heater and fans to dry everything out. In these conditions try to keep the garage door closed when possible, don't cover the bike and use a fan to circulate the air.

·
Premium Member
5,252 Posts
I'd be more concerned about condensation in the tank if it's not full. Bikes are designed to get wet - why is some very pure water an issue.

·
Administrator
17,525 Posts
Always keep my bike uncovered in the garage.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'd be more concerned about condensation in the tank if it's not full. Bikes are designed to get wet - why is some very pure water an issue.
Water that sits on the bike for long periods can cause rust and corrosion and also affect electrical parts, contacts, connectors, etc. Every hidden surface is affected, including places that would never get wet in the rain or riding. The first time I noticed this it wasn't just a little fogging, the water was running down and dripping off. Just something to be aware of if such things concern you.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I have to park my bike outside... cover indeed does make condensation worse and the rust on very hidden places of my bike show it. Sucks not having a garage or a place to keep it out of the rain :(

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Good advice. I'll switch out my waterproof cover for a light dust cover.
Good Idea. That's all I use and I have seen no condensation caused corrosion. But it's a real effect that everything is sweating if warm humid air comes after a cold spell. Will have those conditions tonight.

·
Administrator
6,377 Posts
I've had problems in the past with the electrical plugs under the seat corroding, and rusting tanks. I always cover a stored bike with an old sheet - this keeps the dust and sunlight off it but does not create or contain condensation. Keep the tank full and if possible drain the carburettors.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Agreed. There is high humidity in the Mid-Atlantic but I still cover the bikes in the garage with an old flannel sheet as a dust cover.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts