StromTrooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read a few posts that talk about putting washers/spacers on the bottom of the stock windshield to reduce buffeting.

am i getting it right? any pics or setup tips?

·
Registered
413 Posts
I don't have any pics, but the idea is to adjust the tilt of the windshield by adding washers. I screwed around with the idea for several months - then broke down and bought a Madstad.

Give it a shot if you want - it doesn't cost much of anything. For me it did little to no good.

·
Registered
487 Posts
that is all I have under my stock bracket and I don't mind the buffeting. I did change the windscreen to a vario adjustable . the 16". but may sell it and get the tall Givi screen and continue to just use the plumbing spacers. they cost me about $10 for spacers and new bolts. try it. it tips your screen back about 3/4" and you can notice it.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Under the windscreen to get the bottom of the screen tilted out so more air can come in behind it and relieve the vacuum that forms there. Some have success with cutting the bottom of the screen in a concave scallop to get more air up there.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I went under the bracket with some and one under the screen

·
Registered
15,411 Posts
I'm 5'7" and loved my MRA Vario until I destroyed it in an accident. I may buy another rather than mess with the washers and such using the original.
Sometimes the variables are so subtle they are hard to chase.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Some people are not appreciative of others who will make an improvement for little cost, or free (penny mods) --they say "just buy a Madstad and be done with it for hells sake"--or similar comments. I like everyone to have their opinion, but I find it enjoyable to go out to the shop and fabricate something and then go out and try it and see if it is good or not. I did this with my homemade windshield, and raked it back a few degrees with washers, and it is so nice I won't be needing the madstad bracket. Sure I don't have the quick adjustable feature but it cost me next to nothing to have a quiet comfortable ride. To me, this is part of the fun of 'purifying' the bike. And when I get some good results I enjoy sharing my discovery with like-minded riders.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I find this works good for me at 6 feet tall. 32" inseam. very little buffetting at highway speeds. where an open face helmet all the time.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts