StromTrooper banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First warm weekend in a long time so finally got to wash winter dirt off the bike (02-DL1000). I guess I messed up somewhere, maybe got some water into someplace it should not be, because I went out this morning to go to work and the bike will not start.

It turned on OK, went throught the normal POST, but when I hit the starter there was a click from the right side just behind and under the battery, and all power went out. I looked at all the fuses, they're fine. Turning the key on and off does nothing, except that it recovers after a few minutes and will turn on again.

Before I started taking things apart, I figured I would ask and see if anyone had seen this type of behavior before.

Thanks,
Bob

·
Premium Member
4,451 Posts
bobpond, have you cleaned the battery terminals. Sounds like it is due. That and a charger might solve the problem. Don't ask me how I know this.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks water warrior, I'll see about cleaning the terminals. I don't have a charger, but I guess I should have one around. I almost never park it for more than a week or so waiting for snow to melt, so I never thought about battery tending.

Bob

·
Registered
27 Posts
I know this may sound stupid too, but you didn't wash around the handgrips and hit run/stop button. Don't ask me about this either....

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks, been down the kill switch path, *this* time I thought of it way earlier in the process... I wish that were the problem...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
water warrior, you were right!!

got a battery tender, cleaned the terminals, let it charge and all is well

I never would have thought that the battery would run down, maybe in my *truck* but not the Vstrom, I use it to commute almost every day.

thanks again,

Bob

·
Premium Member
4,451 Posts
Bobpond, glad to help. With poor battery connections you are subject to the law of diminishing returns. You take more out than you put back in. This happened on my pick-up a few years ago too. Ride On, Ride Safe.

·
Registered
360 Posts
bobpond said:
I never would have thought that the battery would run down, maybe in my *truck* but not the Vstrom, I use it to commute almost every day.
Bob
Is it possible that you had your key turned to the Park position before you washed it? That would drain the battery.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Washed it? That was your first mistake. It ain't no Harley. Just ride it.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I've got three Suzukis in the garage with the Park "feature." Has anyone figured out its function, other than to keep Yuasa in business?

·
Administrator
16,795 Posts
You could also have a "weak" cell in your battery. I agree that your battery shouldn't have gone dead. Ya might wanna get a new battery, it would suck to get stranded somewhere.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sorry, busy long hours, didn't get back to the site.

The key wasn't in park, I generally don't even go to lock. I walked it out of the garage and back in without the key.

As for ride not wash, hey, come on, it had been since *October* or so since I had a decent weather weekend to wash it, except for cleaning the chain. Got to give me one wash every six months without hassle, right? No real hard rain to even help me out. (light rain=wash, heavy rain=power wash) I ride to work every day, except when there is snow. Harley ratio is 1 ride 1 wash, I'm more like 160 to 1. The bike was *grubby*. I only use my truck when the roads are white or I need to buy something bigger than will fit in the bags.

I am a little concerned that the battery might be a problem. I'll probably get another battery when I get some parts for upcoming maintenance.

Thanks all for your input, I really appreciate it. Hopefully someday I'll be able to provide something helpful to someone else.

Bob

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
cdnt48 said:
I've got three Suzukis in the garage with the Park "feature." Has anyone figured out its function, other than to keep Yuasa in business?
yes, absolutely, it's to have wiseass people at work come into your office

"hey, you left the lights on"

once and only time I went past lock by mistake (famous last words)

·
Registered
430 Posts
Big B said:
You could also have a "weak" cell in your battery. I agree that your battery shouldn't have gone dead. Ya might wanna get a new battery, it would suck to get stranded somewhere.
Stored my Honda S2000 roadster for the winter. Took it out this month and it had a dead battery. Car has 7700 miles on it, but its 3 yrs old. Put new battery in when old one wouldn't hold a charge. Runs perfect again.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts