StromTrooper banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there

Had the 1000k service by the suzi dealer yesterday. I'm not going to whinge about the cost though motorcycle mechanics have put in the hours to get their ticket and like anyone deserve to be paid well for doing good work.
Dealer margins....not going to whinge about that neither in my view you run a business and take on all the risks that go with it you deserve to make a buck. So where am I going with this? Well after looking through the service book that came with the bike and after putting in a few years of maintaining bikes myself I know I can do stuff like oil and coolant changes, pad and brake fluid changes, chain and sprockets, clearances, adjust and lube controls and cables, check and lube suspension and swing arm bearings blah blah blah. Probably the only thing I havent done is a set of fork seals and looked at fuel injection.

So yep from here on in I want to do my own servicing without voiding the warranty. I will keep all receipts and a log book of the work I do. I was wondering if anyone can send me a link or share some info on my rights as a consumer if in the event I do need to make a warranty claim.

PS....my first V strom...love it!

Thanks

·
Premium Member
15,739 Posts
This is the basic law protecting consumers from being forced to go to specific dealerships or manufacturers for warranty service:

We are in Australia not the US. US law does not apply in Australia and has absolutely no relevance to the OPs question.

·
Premium Member
15,739 Posts
Remember that this is a state based issue. The Victorian Consumer Affairs website simply says, "If the car is still under warranty, check its conditions regarding choice of repairer and manufacturer specifications." (here).
The catch for warranty repairs is that the work must be done by a person who is suitably qualified. The grey area is if a warranty repair is required in an area that you have been directly responsible for as the mechanic. Lets say the engine seizes. You would have to be able to show that you had used the correct oils and filters and changed them at the appropriate times. Suzuki have a bit of a reputation from starting from the position that no problem is covered under warranty so to a large extent servicing yourself won't be a lot different than servicing at a workshop anyway.
My Strom has just had it's fifth birthday and it's never been into a workshop since the day it left the dealership with 1 km showing on the odometer, in fact my dealer told me he didn't expect to ever see it back because he knew I was more than capable of looking after it myself.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts