StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I often see people riding around without their headlight on while riding to work (they are also on motorcycles).

Well having had BMW's prior if the low beam goes out there was a warning light.
I assumed the same was to be had on the strom.
That is not the case.

SO....I lane split home 100 miles from work with my low beam burnt out.

Just passing on a bit of advice, as I check my lights everytime I get on the bike I never considered what if the bulb went out while riding. I thought there was an idiot light, there is not.

So, now while riding I always am now looking for the reflection of my headlight every once in a while while riding and passing cars with shiny paint jobs.

Of course at night it would be easy to notice...

;)

Just my .02

·
Registered
23 Posts
Thanks, good advice. Decided to stop just last week to check lites. One never knows. but we all know box drivers don't see us.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I usually ride with the high beam on too... same thing. My bulb burned out and I didn't realize it until I missed it in the reflection. I felt truly invisible then!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
274 Posts
Mate if you are relying on your head on for safety you are headed for a fall. Always but ALWAYS assume the cagers havent seen you and act accordingly.
Doesn't matter headlight on or off ( and I turn mine of in daylight hours) if they aint looking they haven't seen you.

Tom R

·
Registered
123 Posts
Mate, jeeze thx, I do assume that but the hi beam headlight helps tremendously. I can see the difference when lane splitting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Mate if you are relying on your head on for safety you are headed for a fall. Always but ALWAYS assume the cagers havent seen you and act accordingly.
Doesn't matter headlight on or off ( and I turn mine of in daylight hours) if they aint looking they haven't seen you.

Tom R
I don't think the op stated he relied on his headlight to be seen by cagers. But yeah, your headlight can make a big difference if it's not working, especially when lane splitting. Cagers will see a light before anything else while lane splitting.

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
I'm a biker, so when I see another bike without a headlight I tend to notice it more, I have this thought to try to signal them to tell them about it, but then I wonder if it might be intentional so I don't.

A bike without a headlight changes what you notice, you will see their helmet more, their colorful jacket, gloves, or even the bike itself. It would be interesting to know if the bike really is more invisible, or if that is just a perceived impression.

I always have my headlight and two aux lights on having said that, I would also feel vulnerable without it, but maybe it would be OK.

Still good advice, always check it, and doubly important, make sure your brake light is working.

·
Super Moderator
13,054 Posts
Mate, jeeze thx, I do assume that but the hi beam headlight helps tremendously. I can see the difference when lane splitting.
I hate to re-open this discussion but many people (myself included) will comment that the high beam on the Strom (and many other modern bikes) is so bright it can be counterproductive. It actually reduces the ability of other drivers to be able to see exactly where you are, how fast you are moving, and the fact that you are a motorcycle. These are important things that can help avoid a crash. (Bright lights in enemy's eyes has been researched as a a good form of camouflage by the military.)

A light or a triangle of lights is good, but overdoing it isn't.

..Tom

·
Super Moderator
13,054 Posts

SO....I lane split home 100 miles from work with my low beam burnt out.

Just passing on a bit of advice, as I check my lights everytime I get on the bike I never considered what if the bulb went out while riding. I thought there was an idiot light, there is not.

So, now while riding I always am now looking for the reflection of my headlight every once in a while while riding and passing cars with shiny paint jobs.
I have a Madstad Mound and stock windshield. The windshield is moved out a bit so now I see the reflection of my headlight on the front of the windshield. I actually put something to blackout the shiny part as I was getting too much reflection but there is a little area that I can still see the headlight reflection.

I wonder if there was a bad batch of low-beam bulbs on the 2014+ DL1000. In over 300,000 km of Strom riding I never had to replace a headlight bulb but had to so fairly early after getting the 2015 DL1000. (Don't recall exactly when but think it was in the first 10,000 km/6,000 miles. The replacement is working fine (so far.)

..Tom

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sorry I have not been back to reply was not expecting so many responses to this:

-- I don't rely on the headlights to be seen, I just consider them part of my defensive space while riding as they increase visibility for the conditions I ride in, your mileage may vary..

-- About the checklist prior to riding, agreed and as stated I do check all these things, in my case the light went out while riding. So I was just sharing at tip one one way you can check while riding.

Really the purpose was to share the fact I was surprised there was not a warning light to let you know the low beam burnt out, that was an assumption on my part expecting it to be there.

Since I also have a pair of amber LED lights on the front of the bike even without the headlight on I still have plenty of light because I use the triangle philosophy, three points of light made up of two difference colors gets noticed.

I have done a number of tests riding with them off, on, with the amber lens and without.

I can tell you the degree to which cagers notice me increases with the application.

- Headlight: Meh...sometime they see me
- High beam: more notice but it also is an annoyance to drivers as I come up behind them but I did get seen
- Clear LED's on: About the same reaction as with the high-beams not much different
- Amber LED's on: People move out of the way, I am noticed and reacted to while riding

Bottom line, for my area the amber with low beam give me the greatest chance of being seen, and that is the first line of defense while riding, other people knowing your there.

Of course we are talking about cagers so you always have to ride like they are out to kill you

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I wonder if there was a bad batch of low-beam bulbs on the 2014+ DL1000. In over 300,000 km of Strom riding I never had to replace a headlight bulb but had to so fairly early after getting the 2015 DL1000. (Don't recall exactly when but think it was in the first 10,000 km/6,000 miles. The replacement is working fine (so far.)

..Tom
Well the old strom used a H4 for the bulbs the new one is an H7 so not really an apples to apples comparison. It may be the H4 is just a more robust filament since it is a dual beam bulb. I will be changing mine to an HID at some point in the near future since I have one laying around.

·
Registered
856 Posts
I always check at stops for my headlight reflection and also my brake lights if I'm being snuggled up by a cage at a light.
As far as I'm concerned your lights are the most important safety gear on your bike.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I always check at stops for my headlight reflection and also my brake lights if I'm being snuggled up by a cage at a light.
As far as I'm concerned your lights are the most important safety gear on your bike.
That really was the gist of my post, to check.
That and the fact there is not dummy light telling you the low beam burned out, which I still find terribly odd with today's technological advancements on this bike.
We have ABS and Traction control but nothing to tell you when the headlight goes out...oh well.

·
Premium Member
2,478 Posts
This is why I always have fog lights mounted below the headlights(Forms a triangle). They are always on. Since switching to LED's I've been told that they stand out even more. Not a reason to let your guard down, but nice to know that a higher precentage of drivers see you.
On the single headlight 2014 up models it always gives a backup if the headlight goes out.

·
Super Moderator
13,054 Posts
Well the old strom used a H4 for the bulbs the new one is an H7 so not really an apples to apples comparison. It may be the H4 is just a more robust filament since it is a dual beam bulb.
The reason I thought it might be a bad batch of bulbs is that the OEM bulb blew fairly early yet the replacement bulb has lasted about 5 times longer so far. I think I recall some other owners mentioning bulbs popping soon after getting the bikes yet I don't recall seeing this being an ongoing issue after that.

..Tom

·
Registered
314 Posts
So just to throw a curve ball into this discussion... What if, some one were to mount a small amber strobe someplace on a motorcycle. example- light pole on the back like some police motorcycles. I believe amber strobe is legal in most states. You could also use white or green.
I also realize that if you go with white, you fall into that category of the headlight flashing that used to be popular some years ago.

·
Registered
856 Posts
So just to throw a curve ball into this discussion... What if, some one were to mount a small amber strobe someplace on a motorcycle. example- light pole on the back like some police motorcycles. I believe amber strobe is legal in most states. You could also use white or green.
I also realize that if you go with white, you fall into that category of the headlight flashing that used to be popular some years ago.
You could just put your hazards on if that's your intent. Personally I hate it when people ride along with their hazards on simply because they think it makes them safer - all it does is confuse and annoy people.
As far as flashing headlights - I think you're referring to headlight modulators which are a proven safety device. Note that a *legal* headlight modulator can only work during daylight and they stop modulating at dusk.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Skene Photon Blasters. Flickering leds in amber or white.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts