StromTrooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
got my new 2012 wee strom last week and these warning stickers they put all over the place are a nightmare to remove . the one they put on the side of the dash is just terrible to get off .

·
Registered
22 Posts
G'day doboy, Know how ya feel!! Took mine off just yesterday. If you can get your hands on some Goo Remover or a gum removing equivenent, rub a liberal amount directly on the label and let it sit for a while 25-30 min, It will be sooooo much easier for u to remove... Cheers Mick

·
Registered
80 Posts
Havent done it myself yet, one of the many things to do on my list for the bike, but the dealer also said to use a hair dryer to peel them off.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I found the one near the instruments very easy to remove, it came straight off. I remember the ones on the painted tank of the 2004 Vstrom were very slow and painful to remove.

·
Registered
4,831 Posts
I pulled all three stickers off mine in about 5 minutes, much easier than on any other bike. Garage was cold, 40 degrees, had 1/2 tank of gas, so fuel wasn't right up against the metal on the tank, a minute or so on the two on the tank with a hair dryer to heat em up, they came off in one piece. Pick up a corner with your finger nail, "slowly" pull, applying the heated air from the hair dryer to the sticker underside as you pull, it stretched a bit but didn't even tear. The sticker on the plastic dash came off the same way, even easier. They came off so clean, I didn't need alcohol or wd40 to clean the glue residue off, rubbed with my thumb then wiped it with a rag, and put a tank pad on it right away. Hot air is the ticket.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
what a nice bike these new wee,s are . i had a versys, lovely bike but the engine was no were near as smooth & the wife wouldnt go on the back because of the vibration through the foot pegs but she loves the wee..so carnt get out on my own now shxt ?.. :yesnod:

·
Registered
115 Posts
I pulled all three stickers off mine in about 5 minutes, much easier than on any other bike. Garage was cold, 40 degrees, had 1/2 tank of gas, so fuel wasn't right up against the metal on the tank, a minute or so on the two on the tank with a hair dryer to heat em up, they came off in one piece. Pick up a corner with your finger nail, "slowly" pull, applying the heated air from the hair dryer to the sticker underside as you pull, it stretched a bit but didn't even tear. The sticker on the plastic dash came off the same way, even easier. They came off so clean, I didn't need alcohol or wd40 to clean the glue residue off, rubbed with my thumb then wiped it with a rag, and put a tank pad on it right away. Hot air is the ticket.
Yup same here. It's a balance with the heat gun. Enough to melt the glue on the decals but too much and the decals will break up. Try to keep constantly waving the heat over it as you pull.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Heck, mine just peeled right off last summer, no residue, you just need temps in the 85-90F range, let the bike sit in the sun a couple of hours:yesnod:.......wait, your in the UK? Yep, get that hair dryer......:weapons_56:

Ya know, looking for a flamethrower smiley, I noticed what an incredibly violent smiley set we have here:yikes: Not a complaint, mind you, just an observation:mrgreen:

but wht is this one?

:var_23:

who needs a coke snorting smiley?

·
Registered
183 Posts
WD40 is your friend. Lift one corner of the sticker, and spray a tiny amount on the glue. It will start to come off, so keep pulling and spraying, and it is off in a flash. I usually wash it then immediately to remove any wd40 left behind.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Be sure to put the hairdryer back though. Yesterday I used my wife's hairdryer to get the emission control sticker off the frame and forgot about it and left the dryer in the garage.

I woke up this morning and my wife had left a sticky note on the counter in the kitchen.

"GET YOUR BIKE IT'S OWN HAIRDRYER!":fineprint:

I guess she knows me well enough that when she looked under the counter in the bathroom and her hairdryer wasn't there, she went straight to my bike in the garage...LOL!:yesnod:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts