StromTrooper banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Watch out!! I think the bars are a good product, but the mounting instructions call for 79 NM torque on the 12 mm bolts. Unless I'm wrong on the conversion, that works out to about 58 ft.lb. By my experience, that seemed a bit heavy, but I tourqued away nevertheless. At around 40 I felt the right side begin to pull out the aluminum threads from the engine. Shit! Now I've got a stripped engine mount that's way far away from any helicoil job and a vibration at around 4000 that wasn't there before. (a really annoying buzz in what used to be a glass-smooth bike)

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
55N-m or 40lb-ft is the spec for the large bolt with nut that goes through the engine from one side to the other. It has no bite into aluminum. The smaller bolts that screw into aluminum are spec'ed at 35N-m or 25.5lb-ft and I consider that excessive. I would use blue Loctite and torque to 80% of the recommendation.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Always torque bolts to the specified number. One thing to keep in mind, the rule of thumb when designing a bolt is 90% of the max torque for permanent bolts and 75% for temporary bolts(oil drain plug for instance). So if your torque wrench is off, and you're tightening a permanent bolt, you could easily go over the maximum torque that bolt can handle.

It may seem counter intuitive, but a lower force on the bolt actually makes it fail prematurely due to fatigue.

If anyone is still reading this post, I can explain in more detail why. (or just take a design class for 4th year mechanical engineering students :) )

For the record, I've had two SWMotech bars installed on two different bikes and they've worked flawlessly.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts