StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought I would throw this out for those who may not know that the rut is on and bucks are chasing does. Where you may have felt comfortable before riding around your favorite roads, you might just have a surprise. Deer will be most likely to jump in front of you in the morning, evening or night times but during the rut it may happen at any time.
Ride safe!

·
Administrator
17,396 Posts
Very very true, and deer are overabundant and BIG here in Ohio.

·
Registered
15,542 Posts
You are a at least a month too late for a So Cal warning. The Bow hunters are carrying guns now and the Deer I hit month ago has long been digested. I got rid of the 800ST BMW I was riding too since repairs were too expensive. The replacement G650GS is nimble. Maybe enough so I can avoid the forest rat in my lane next time.
I try to be on my watch when riding the Wee in the same area.
Too all you hunters, aim true and don't fall out of your tree blind!

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
We need a campaign to make venison more popular.

Eat more deer -- you may be the motorcyclist you save...

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
1,160 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
My logic. The science says no, but for $ 10.00 I've spent money on other stupid things, so guess what I put a pair on the vstrom. If they work fine and if they don't, I've wasted $ 10, such is life.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Doing my share to help reduce the population. Took a forest rat during archery season and will be back in the woods this weekend with the black powder rifle, hunting big horns the next few days. Venison meatloaf for dinner tonight!

·
Registered
15,542 Posts
I put deer whistles on my bike once and had a deer walk out in the middle of the road looking for where the sound was coming from. More like a deer call.
I do have a set on the Wee accidentally. Those were on the bike when I got it. Yousaa!

·
Registered
231 Posts
Deer whistles never worked for me. I haven't hit one on my bike but I've hit about 13(most of them hit me) in the past 25 years in a truck. Even the small whitetails we have in the Texas Hill country can do a lot of damage. I tried to salvage the meat on the first two but it just messes to much up to make it worth the effort.

·
Cowboys aint easy to love
2,115 Posts
In many places, the "system" is gearing up to harvest more. I can, and will, take six this year out of the herd that commonly feeds in my back pasture. All but a few pounds will be donated to food banks that are glad for the season and the donation. What we need are more hunters! Reminder though: motorcycle riders, even those who might carry a handgun legal for hunting deer, should not try to turn a chance encounter into a hunting opportunity. Shooting within a certain distance of public roads -- usually 100 feet or more -- is illegal almost everywhere and unsafe.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Shooting within a certain distance of public roads -- usually 100 feet or more -- is illegal almost everywhere and unsafe.

Not to mention shooting a deer on property that is not yours is illegal and not "hunting"

Sorry "Road hunting" is a term I hate (not that you used it). It is poaching ...

Anyway... I've yet to see one on the stand this year...very very odd for me. I see them everywhere else though :headbang:

I'll do my best to take out some this year though. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Doing my part. We are now 1 doe short in KY and tomorrow is opening day of modern gun season. We should soon be one buck short also and does are not safe yet either.

I ride through a WMA by my house, its the best way to the good roads. I have seen more roadkills this year than the past decade. More deer eating on the roadsides.

The advice about not riding at first light and last light should be considered at this time of year. Deer are also very active all night long on full moons when they can see well.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Hit 2 deer in 2 weeks last month.....in my car. Accidentally came across the fact that all animals are terrified of a certain rattling noise. The noise of cellophane rattling in the wind. You can put some on your wind screen and watch the critters flee. Can't say though a deer may flee into the road right in front of you. One large buck I hit in my car last month didn't get hurt. I just threw him in the air a ways. Four days later I drove by the same place at the same time and there was the same buck! This time he ran AWAY from the road. This must have been an Einstein of deer.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Arizona deer are not so many as the east and as a bow hunter I wish they were. Here we have elk as a primary problem (my hunt starts in a week) and if you hit them it's very bad. The rut always increases risk so heads up and keep your eyes scanning.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Arizona deer are not so many as the east and as a bow hunter I wish they were. Here we have elk as a primary problem (my hunt starts in a week) and if you hit them it's very bad. The rut always increases risk so heads up and keep your eyes scanning.
Trade you some LOL

·
Registered
658 Posts
Every day is deer season around my house. The area is absolutely infested with them.

·
Registered
435 Posts
The area I live in is crawling with them, too. I hit one with my truck 50 yards or so from the end of my driveway once. A friend of mine who lives a couple of miles down the road from me hit one with his motorcycle so hard it cracked the frame. He's ok, just broke one toe in that accident. Here's a question for those who know. Suppose I hit a deer with my truck or even my bike and it kills the deer. In general is there a good "chunk" I could get off of the deer to make stew or jerky out of? I mean like maybe just cut off a hind leg or something. I'd hate for the deer to go to waste completely so I figure why not grab a chunk or two to go with some beer on a Friday night. I just wouldn't know what part would be good to harvest since I don't hunt. This thread is making me wanna go walk around in the woods behind my house with a gun and shoot 8-9 deer and make some jerky. Do I need a hunting license to shoot a deer if it is on my property? I'm WAAAAY out in the country and do target shooting in my back yard all the time. I know I can shoot out here, just not sure how legal it would be for me to shoot a deer in my back yard. Not that anyone would ever know, but still... Here's my house with something like 1,700+ acres of woods in the back yard.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Do I need a hunting license to shoot a deer if it is on my property?
Not that anyone would ever know, but still... Here's my house with something like 1,700+ acres of woods in the back yard...
You only need a license to do what the government "catches" you doing, so I would say, in your circumstance... Nope, no license needed.
P.S. Nice location you got there. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
236 Posts
When riding, I always ride as if deer could come running out of the woods at any time-because they can! I see more during the summer months because they spend much of thier time trying to out run deer flys, horse flys and other pests that infest the bush! This time of year most of the deer around here are deep in the bush avoiding the hunters. Thats were I got mine last Monday morning! Several friends have hit deer while riding at all times of the riding season and as soon as you forget that, you are putting yourself at risk! Even wild turkeys are a serious threat as well as partrige and the well known Canadian speed bump-The Moose!:yikes:

1 - 20 of 58 Posts