StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently wearing Joe Rocket ballistic 9.0 pants , along with a variety of armored jackets : fully armored , good in cold weather , not waterproof at all , but I like ATGATT.
Any recommendations on armored mesh gear ?
Thanks in advance , Alex

·
Registered
136 Posts
I'm pretty happy with my Rev'It Tornado jacket and pants. Good quality, and they flow a lot of air. Pricey, though.

Of course, like any mesh gear, they only flow air when you're moving, so try not to get stuck in traffic...

·
Registered
722 Posts
I'm on my second Tourmaster Intake jacket, and love it. first one took a slight nick to the nylon on a low speed get off, so Progressive bought me a new one.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
There are many makers of of armored mesh gear. Kevlar is better than nylon which is better than polyester. Joe Rocket is polyester. I have the pattern from a Cortech polyester jacket sleeve burned into my arm. It melts from the heat of friction.

·
Registered
716 Posts
I have been tempted to get a mesh jacket too, Alex and if travelling down south this would be mandatory (had my eyes on a tourmaster intake air 3 jacket..yes polyester) however our weather has really been unseasonably warm this year. My tourmaster transitions 2 jacket does have plenty of vents but when the temperature reaches about 29 degrees (85 degrees F) it becomes a little uncomfortable on the highway especially with the high humidity we have been getting and certainly nearly unbearable in stop and go city driving. I wear a technical, quick dry t-shirt underneath and this helps. The tourmaster venture air pants with all the liners removed are fine up to 30 degrees or a little higher than that, even with jeans underneath. When I was in Florida, many of the locals use the Alpine Stars SMX-2 Air Carbon Gloves. Although not my favoured gauntlet style, these have been quite comfortable in this hot weather.
Ken

·
Premium Member
3,145 Posts
I do have a Tourmaster "transitions" type jacket - the 4-seasons jacket (I really only use it for cooler/cold weather riding). It does have tons of zipper/velcro vents so you can SURVIVE a ride if it gets unexpectedly hot, but when they are all open, the jacket balloons up to comical proportions - guess that's a side effect of sizing a jacket to also allow for an insulated cold weather liner {which you don't use in the summertime!}. So, for the truly hot days of spring/summer/fall, I have the Speed + Strength Moment of Truth sp mesh jacket - I believe it might be a poly jacket, but it has solid/perforated material at the impact points. I bought it at a moto-expo, the company was brand new and had the owner there. Talked me into buying a jacket - for it.

I've even used it for Velodrome racing - twas super hot that day, and the mesh kept me as cool as possible (and safe too!)

Still rocking it two years on, and it's showing no signs of poor craftsmanship at all - you know, the usual strings dangling, etc.... Great jacket - fully armored, lightweight, flows tons of air, and is very comfortable and adjustable. I live in Michigan, where the summers can get unbearably hot / humid, and this jacket lets me feel like I'm wearing only a tee shirt, on those sweltering days. With the waterproof liner installed it'll keep the chill off you if you get caught out in the cold.

They do have a new version out now, that looks even better. But, I'll wait til mine gets tatty before getting the new one.

Here's the new one.....black version too....

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,421 Posts
I have a Motoport Kevlar mesh jacket ( Marathon ) and the Kevlar mesh pants. Advertised to be the most comfortable gear available in hot weather. NOT! While it is probably some of the very best gear available protection wise, it is not nearly as cool as the Tourmaster Intake jacket I was using last year.

I think the Tourmaster intake is a decent compromise between protection and venting. It has decent abrasion resistant panels over the areas most in need of it. I had a Joe Rocket Pheonix before and realized after a while it probably offered very little protection and threw it away for the Tourmaster.

I just bought a Joe Rocket Reactor 2.0 and the mesh 3.0 pants. The Reactor has leather on the shoulder and elbow areas, the rest is the same mesh as the Pheonix series. And it does flow a LOT of air. That will be my summer in Houston gear. With temps in the high 90's and low 100's for 4 months in a row and getting stuck in stop and go traffic, I had to compromise on protection...or not ride. I hope to not regret that, the Joe Rocket Reactor does have decent armor and the leather should perform ok. Yes, the polyester can still be a problem and I wonder about the seams.

·
Registered
62 Posts
+1 on the Rev'It Tornado jacket and pants. Love mine and the airflow I get. I am at minimum going to upgrade the backpad with a forcefield pad.

I've kindof been considering the Spidi Multitech Armor though as a full upgrade to wear under the coat (removing current coat armor of course). I'd like to have good chest as well as back protection. Anyone here tried the Spidi stuff?

·
Registered
360 Posts
Since I use my bike for a lot of work commuting, and I wear business formal (suit/blazer/tie/slacks) to work, I am a fan of one-piece suits. I use an Olympia Phantom for cool weather and an Olympia Stealth for warm weather. I also have a Firstgear mesh jacket and pants when I go two piece. I continue to have lingering thoughts about the crash effectiveness of mesh gear versus solid textile, though.

·
Registered
3,668 Posts
I normally use a Fieldsheer blue and white jacket and the Fieldsheer 4 seasons silver pants, but when it really gets hot I have an Olympia stealth suit. I think they are discontinuing the stealth suit for a more textile suit with vents.

·
Registered
716 Posts
I've ridden in this jacket in very high temps and it's almost like having cool air-conditioning! :thumbup:

Tour Master :: Textile Jackets :: Intake Air Series 2 Jacket
You are all really selling me on the Intake Air...had that in mind anyway..the new version is the Series 3......pretty good price point...was out today in my Transitions Series 2....it does not balloon up because I tightened the velcro waist straps...we had 31 degrees today (88 degrees F and fairly low humidity) and it was fine on country roads but man...I got caught in Toronto traffic..stop and go and really started to heat up at the low speeds.

·
Registered
205 Posts
You are all really selling me on the Intake Air...had that in mind anyway..the new version is the Series 3......pretty good price point...was out today in my Transitions Series 2....it does not balloon up because I tightened the velcro waist straps...we had 31 degrees today (88 degrees F and fairly low humidity) and it was fine on country roads but man...I got caught in Toronto traffic..stop and go and really started to heat up at the low speeds.
Yes, it's the stopped traffic that is always the real killer. I'm spoiled out here because we are allowed to "lane-split", so we're not just sitting behind cars in traffic! :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Last month I completed a 1000 mile round trip up to PA in my new Teknic-Aquavent-Mesh-Jacket. It's lite weight, breathes very well and it uses the Knox Lite armor. The day glow helps to standout in traffic also. A nice replacement to my older Joe Rocket Phoenix mesh jacket.

·
Registered
818 Posts
tourmaster intake air jacket. just don't get black. :headbang:

·
Registered
205 Posts
The only difference I can see between Series 2 and 3 is the look, of which I like the Series 2 better, plus we all know it's the fastest! :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
2,231 Posts
I'm on my second Rev'it Air (as of 2012 now called the Airwave), the first having given its life to save my skin: http://www.stromtrooper.com/general-v-strom-discussion/30096-adventures-highsiding.html

At $200, it's cheaper than the Tornado (though not as nice), and flows a lot of air. As with most Rev'it gear, the fit is slimmer than most US brands, which suits me fine. The included elbow and shoulder armor is good, but the back pad is worthless. No biggie because it's a common size and you can replace it with a good one for not too much $.

It's in its third summer now (summers in TX last 5 months) and as good as new. When it wears out or I get rich, I'll replace it with something more protective (but still mesh), but I have no complaints.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Does anybody stock the Tourmaster intake air jackets in the Toronto area ?

·
Registered
818 Posts
if you do a net search on the intake air 2 and can find one in your size, you can get it at quite a discount as tourmaster is hawking the air 3.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts