Strom Trooper banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

finally got my gear all setup and was out over the weekend for a somewhat chilly ride.

gear worked fine. A few observations:

Using the sizing chart I order a large jacket. perhaps because of my build, I wasnt getting a lot of heat on the lower back. not a huge deal.

However, I do a see a "problem" with controlling heat. Because your arms are directly exposed to wind, they need a bit more heat. However, because your torso is likely behind a shield, it needs less. On a few occasions i found my chest really hot and my arms kinda lukewarm. No real solution for this. just something to keep in mind.

The heat glove liners work well, howerver, do not provide heat in the palms. They did however work very nicely.

should have done this years ago.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Why did you choose W&S over Gerbings or any other manufacture? Just curious since I'm thinking about making this investment also.

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
I use W&S. Never had the problem you are reporting. We must have different shields or have them set differently. My torso gets plenty of air.

Like you I rode for a few years without a heated line. Wished I would have gotten it sooner.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,049 Posts
One important point is to wear something between jacket liner and body but not enough to insulate. I have some long sleeve wicking T-shirts for that. Set the gear not to feel heat, but so you don't get cold. Then an insulated layer goes over the jacket liner.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
I wore a Gerbing's jacket for years, then replaced it with a Warm & Safe jacket when the Gerbing's died. By comparison, the Gerbing jacket is lightly insulated, whereas the W&S is not, but it packs down smaller and lighter. The new Gerbing jackets have what they call micro-wire in them that you really can't feel. The W&S still uses heavy wires. They're normally not noticeable while riding, but if you have a backrest, sometimes the wires dig into your spine. But the jacket heats well.

It's just a fact of life while riding a motorcycle--your arms will get more air than the torso, so you will notice more heat on the body than the arms. What I've found is that while my arms don't get warm, they just don't get cold. I do what Greywolf does, I wear a lighter shirt over a tee shirt, and keep the riding jacket's insulated liner in the jacket. That makes things less bulky and you get the most out of your heated jacket liner.

Unlike GW, I like to feel the heat on my body. For one thing, it's good on my back where I have arthritis, and for another, I need the heat. Since my heart attack several years ago, they've got me on some medication that keeps my blood pressure and pulse rate so low I have a hard time keeping warm. But that's another story. I'm glad I can still ride. And if I ever replace my heated jacket liner, I'll get another Gerbing jacket.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts