StromTrooper banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i know the bikes come from the manufacturer lean for emission control purposes, and i heard/saw someone write that they had their bike richened up at the dealer. im not really wanting to spend the 300+ for a fuel commander and was wondering if anyone could recommend how much i should have the bike richened. i live in north east oklahoma and temps get into the 100's but i dont want to richen to much that it wont run right at higher alltitude when i go for a cross country ride. kinda looking for an overall just right kinda fuel mix that will do the job. any helpful info is greatly appreciated. thanks

·
Registered
58 Posts
I had my 650 done at the dealer and he used a Yoshimura tuning box. I had the low end richened a very small percent as that is where I was having a lean surge ie, 30mph in town at 3000-4000 rpm. It was very uncomfortable to be jerking back and forth while trying to ride quietly through town. I had to go back 4 times before we dialed in on the sweet spot though, we went too rich to start with and my mileage dropped 20 mpg. Now I have a nice smooth motor and it averages 45 mpg on my 20 mile trip to work and up to 52 mpg on a trip.

For what it's worth, mine is a 2006 model.

S

·
0 Posts
My local dealer claims it's illegal for them to use a Yosh box or any other means to fiddle with the factory settings, as they would void the emission crap.

<shrug>

Good luck with your 'richening' - wish I could get mine a little less lean.

·
Premium Member
2,568 Posts
I had my 650 done at the dealer and he used a Yoshimura tuning box. I had the low end richened a very small percent as that is where I was having a lean surge ie, 30mph in town at 3000-4000 rpm. It was very uncomfortable to be jerking back and forth while trying to ride quietly through town. I had to go back 4 times before we dialed in on the sweet spot though, we went too rich to start with and my mileage dropped 20 mpg. Now I have a nice smooth motor and it averages 45 mpg on my 20 mile trip to work and up to 52 mpg on a trip.

For what it's worth, mine is a 2006 model.
Did the same to mine. +5% on the low range solved the hiccup immediately.

·
Registered
4,706 Posts
My dealer offered the Yosh box service at $35., half hour labor, when I installed an aftermarket exhaust. Turned out I didn't need it, but you might check with the dealers near you.

·
Registered
379 Posts
My local dealer claims it's illegal for them to use a Yosh box or any other means to fiddle with the factory settings, as they would void the emission crap.

<shrug>

This is the issue with many dealerships. They can apparently be fined for doing it so many just won't.

I installed the Ivan's TRE and it solved the problem. It now uses the enrichened 5th gear map in the lower four gears and I no longer have the hesitation caused by the lean condition with the stock map. Installation results in the loss of the O/D indicator light though because the bike think's it is in 5th all the time, or so I understand how it works. I believe it costed about $112. The price is on Ivan's web site.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Fascinating! Don't want to spend $300 to make your $10,000 bike run right?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Ok....while your hangin out in de-nile...have a nice cool swim. But watch out for the crocs.

"Shouldn't have to" be damned. You need to. It's just the way it is. Want to blame somebody? Call your EPA.

·
Vendor
5,011 Posts
Power Commander III USB will help you get your fuel injection working right

:thumbup: Hi everyone, just a quick reminder that I have the Power Commanders at the Special Offer Price for Stromtroopers, for the DL650 and the DL1000 in stock and ready to ship to you right away,

The Power Commander regular retail price is $349.95, plus Tax, plus Shipping,

The SV Racing Parts, Power Commander III USB Special Offer Price is $279.95, No Taxes regardless of where you live, Shipped Free to your door, anywhere in the USA.

DL650 Model year 2004 - 2006 order PC III USB 319-411
DL650 Model year 2007 - 2008 order PC III USB 338-411

DL1000 Model Years 2002 - 2008 order PC III USB 311-411

Email me directly at [email protected] and I will get you looked after right away.

Power Commander V is $20 more at $299.95 Shipped Free to your door, anywhere in the USA,

For Power Commander prices on other bikes, just email me directly please and I will provide you with great prices on your other bikes as well.

Let me know whenever you are ready, I will PayPal invoice you for the parts you want, and get you looked after right away,

Enjoy the ride, and best regards,
Blair

·
Registered
23 Posts

<shrug>

My dealer wouldn't touch mine. I'll need to check around.

·
Vendor
5,011 Posts
Power Commander III USB will help you get your fuel injection working right

Each to their own method, and kudos to everyone who finds a way to make it work, but I can only say that my experience with fuel injected bikes is that it is absolutely worth it to install a power commander.

You can either down load one of the maps that others have created or get your bike dyno tuned yourself. It will run and pull better at every rpm range and throttle position once you do.

Do it right and it is a one time expense, If you need a Power Commander I do have them for us at a geat price in marketplace and there is a whole thread on Maps available for download for our bikes here on our Stromtrooper Forum as well,

·
Registered
10 Posts
If you dig long enough you will find a dealer that has a Yosh box that will be more than willing to richen it up by a measly 2% to make the bike run for $40-$80, if not free.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts