StromTrooper banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks.

I'm trying to find a warehouse, dealer, shop, or any place that offers a great selection of rider apparel within about an hour or two from Southeast Michigan. I'd love to try on the gear before I buy it, but I can't locate any place that has a decent selection or the type of gear I'm looking for. I'm trying to find a two-piece textile suit similar to the high visibility Roadcrafter design through Aerostich, or perhaps a FirstGear Kilimanjaro 4.0 jacket and pants. (Frankly, I would just buy the Roadcrafter, but I'd love to keep the price closer to $500 than $700.)

Does anyone have any leads on a physical location? Or perhaps even a website that sells the Roadcrafter for less than $700? Or a brand comparable in quality for less $?

Gracias.

~Geoff

·
Registered
319 Posts
www.newenough.com

I completely recommend them. Great stuff, prices, service, etc..
If you send them an email, they'll reply with an actual answer, and within minutes of sending it..
Give the closeouts a good look..

·
Registered
172 Posts
Geoff,

There's a great place in Farmington... close to the corner of Orchard Lake and Grand River... it's called Recreational Leisure (http://www.recleisure.com).

They've got a great selection... really cool owners... and good prices. Everything is 10% off so don't get sticker shock when you walk in. They also have frequent sales!

I have family in the Milford/Highland area and frequently go to rec Leisure when we're visiting them. :lol:

I used to live in Farmington Hills and moved over to Grand Rapids five years ago. It's still the best store in the state that I've found.

Happy shopping!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the feedback, but Regarding Recreational Leisure, neither their website nor catalog shows any textile touring gear. The closest things were one pair of bibs and a mesh/leather sport jacket. Is their showroom any different?

(Cheers to NewEnough, btw. That's where I'm considering the Kilimanjaro jacket, but thought I'd fish for deeper discounts closer to home.)

·
Registered
172 Posts
Re: Rec Leisure

Yeah... their web site stinks. The store is completely different. I can't comment on full, one-piece suits, but I know they sell riding pants and jackets in textile.

I've bought helmets from there... gloves... riding pants... and boots.

Trust me, make a trip over.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Does anyone have any leads on a physical location? Or perhaps even a website that sells the Roadcrafter for less than $700? Or a brand comparable in quality for less $?

Aerostich (Duluth MN) does not have comparable quality textile competition. I figured the cost was cheaper than an emergency room visit. There are deals from time to time, but discounted suits go fast http://www.aerostich.com/catalog/US/index.html . I bought a 2 piece Roadcrafter for $500 because the gray color was discontinued.

Ebay is a good souce for slightly used suits. I live within two miles of the factory store, so trying on sizes was very easy. The Dariens are sized like pants, but the Roadcrafter numbers are not as direct. Trying them on is almost manditory. It would be a nice day's ride from Michigan. I could hook you up on a hotel. :arrow:
[/quote]

·
Registered
319 Posts
And when you go, you can buy this shirt..
Front:

Back:

Feel free to get one less wrinkled than mine.. :lol: I picked it up while doing a loop around Lake Superior last summer..

·
Administrator
17,094 Posts
If you would be willing to drive down to Columbus Ohio, you would have the "largest" motorcycle accessory store in the nation, at your disposal. It is the Iron Pony, 110,000 square feet of pure Heaven. Your not that far away, and we Buckeyes promise to be nice! :lol: If you would be willing to come down, I would try and meet you there. I only live 10 minutes away from the "super" store. They pretty much have everything, that you could imagine. 8)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Ahhhh... the Iron Pony! Never heard of it, but it could be exactly what I'm looking for. Hopefully they have a wide selection and not just a lot of repetition.

(My parents are from from Columbus, so I won't feel like an outcast. Now if only I could hide that darned cop-magnet of a Michigan license plate!)

Thanks for the word!

(BTW, I'm the Phlooburoo guy that started this thread.)

·
Administrator
17,094 Posts
L*F*A said:
Ahhhh... the Iron Pony! Never heard of it, but it could be exactly what I'm looking for. Hopefully they have a wide selection and not just a lot of repetition.

(My parents are from from Columbus, so I won't feel like an outcast. Now if only I could hide that darned cop-magnet of a Michigan license plate!)

Thanks for the word!

(BTW, I'm the Phlooburoo guy that started this thread.)
They are "anything" but repetitive.. I'll bet that they have the largest selection and choices in the country. You will walk into the store and say... "DAMN this place is huge"! :lol: They even have bike night every Friday from late Spring until Fall... very often have 1000 or better motorcylists there showing there stuff and getting to know new people.

·
Registered
430 Posts
phlooburoo said:
Hey folks.

I'm trying to find a warehouse, dealer, shop, or any place that offers a great selection of rider apparel within about an hour or two from Southeast Michigan. I'd love to try on the gear before I buy it, but I can't locate any place that has a decent selection or the type of gear I'm looking for. I'm trying to find a two-piece textile suit similar to the high visibility Roadcrafter design through Aerostich, or perhaps a FirstGear Kilimanjaro 4.0 jacket and pants. (Frankly, I would just buy the Roadcrafter, but I'd love to keep the price closer to $500 than $700.)

Gracias.

~Geoff
No dealer sells any Aerostitch products. They don't sell through dealers as far as I know. I have been to their store many times. Take a long weekend and ride to Duluth, MN and try on a Roadcrafter or Darien suit. From Chicago, its an easy 1 day ride on the freeway. Did you know you get a 10% discount if you buy on site? I have a 3 yr old Roadcrafter and I love it. Crash tested it 2 yrs ago and it came out great. Me, however I did break a wrist and injured some leg muscles but am all healed now. I also have a 2 month old Firstgear Kilimanjaro Air jacket and Firstgear HT 2.0 Air pants. I use those in hotter weather. They are very nice, but I must say that the Aerostitch is very substantial and if I had to crash, I would hands down pick the Roadcrafter to do it in. But I'm not going to crash test it again anytime soon. :)

·
Registered
285 Posts
phlooburoo said:
Thanks for the feedback, but Regarding Recreational Leisure, neither their website nor catalog shows any textile touring gear. The closest things were one pair of bibs and a mesh/leather sport jacket. Is their showroom any different?

(Cheers to NewEnough, btw. That's where I'm considering the Kilimanjaro jacket, but thought I'd fish for deeper discounts closer to home.)
I was just there on Thursday, the wife and I bought some jackets. They have allot to choose from.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts