StromTrooper banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello, my name is Donovan,
I'm planning another trip to ride through Vietnam in December 2021 leaving the U.S. December 26 th and wanted to lead / guide a small group (6 people max), and was seeing if there's any intrest of people who wanted to go. My trip this last December / January could not have been any more fun. It was the best trip I've ever taken. There was stuff I learned I would change and some things I would do again. Vietnam was very very safe (not what I expected) and the Vietnamese people were very kind!
The trip would be about 16 days (2 weeks counting 3 weekends)
Over 1000 miles from Hanoi to Saigon (Ho chi Minh city)
Awesome scenery
Great food along the way
Museums / lots of Vietnam war museums including pow camps and the tunnels
Beautiful beaches

I would take care of:
booking all the rooms
Lining up rental bikes
the route
Have tips on what to bring (what not to bring)
I'll have an in reach or spot device for the trip
I also have a emergency contact in Vietnam with a vehicle in case its needed for any reasons.

If you are interested p.m. me and I can call or text you, share photos and route info. Thanks

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
This is a bucket-list item for me (+Scotland & DR)!

• What is the general itinerary and style? Do you switch locations every night, or ride hard between two "hubs" so you / we can explore each area fully?
  • What's the climate like? I can barely function in current weather, so this is a determining factor for me.
  • The bikes pictured don't look like speed-demons, so is this about the ride, or is it about the landscapes and people?
  • What did the last trip cost?

Thanks!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
If you p.m. your number I can call for more specifics but heres some info:

*We will be on the move almost daily there would be some towns where more then 1 night will be spent Saigon, Hanoi, Da Nang, being some of them because there is so much to see. The trip starts in Hanoi and ends in Saigon riding the whole way. It's the only way to see it all. Basically we would be riding till about mid day and stop at our destination. Some days might be longer some might be shorter, depends on the destination for the day. After check in to the hotel the group will be free to do whatever they like, I might have some suggestions once we are in town but I will never tell you what to do. You will have freedom on this trip!
*Weather is a tough one to say because there whether can change by the minute. My last trip I found a range of temps. Trip probably started in the mid 70s when I went to the central highlands I'm guessing 60s in the mountains (only time I wore my jacket) along the coast was perfect 70 with maybe a high of 80. Saigon was warm probley in the mid 90s but night time in Vietnam was very pleasant. It did rain on and off for 2 days on me as you can tell I was wearing rain gear. You have to remember this country is long, I would say its like riding from Washington to California so take into mind the climate changes like it does here. But overall I thought the weather was very nice.
*you asked if its about the ride or the people, answer is BOTH!!!!!! You will meet locals who will want to talk to you and other travelers for sure! We will stop to see museums or monuments along the way also.
Max speed on those bikes I'm guessing is about 55mph.
*how much did the trip cost, well it obviously depends on how you travel, I'm sure you could travel the whole country for $300 (not counting bike and airfare) if you eat cheap, sleep in a hostel and so on OR if you stayed in a 5 star hotel evey night have champagne who know what that would cost. I brought $800 with me and it was more then enough to have nice meals and have a cocktail or two at the end of the night. I stayed at some 5 star hotels and some not so nice hotels lol. Also went too a lot of museums along the way and brought home treasures for the loved ones back home.
The price thing is hard, because I bought a $90 custom hand made suit, so you can spend a lot of money there if you wanted or go cheap. To give you some prices you can buy beer for .20 cents and a meal for $1. If you want to. Obviously depends.

I've done a lot of traveling around the world (more and less then others) this was my first trip to Asia and it blew everything else out of the water!

Below is a picture of a family that took me in for 2 days in da nang, and you can tell from the above photos we will meet locals and have a good time.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Heads up, WorldNomads travel insurance covers you for motorcycle accidents in Vietnam...

Reactions: Donovan

·
Registered
33 Posts
Cool
I am interested - will touch base - try and talk my brother and maybe nephew and son along. If I understand correctly we are 1 1/2 years off from this trip?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
That is correct! I would like to have a group together by the end of November, and have the route done in December
plans completely done by march (depending on flight schedules).
Thanks
-Donovan

·
Registered
4 Posts
This is a bucket-list item for me (+Scotland & DR)!

• What is the general itinerary and style? Do you switch locations every night, or ride hard between two "hubs" so you / we can explore each area fully?
  • What's the climate like? I can barely function in current weather, so this is a determining factor for me.
  • The bikes pictured don't look like speed-demons, so is this about the ride, or is it about the landscapes and people?
  • What did the last trip cost?

Thanks!
Like to join you if possible!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Deposit sent ... now the waiting begins!!

Reactions: Donovan
1 - 18 of 18 Posts