StromTrooper banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just would make me feel more secure. Not terrible as is but feels sketchy on gravel,dirt, horizontal slope. Just bought the bike and love it. When I sat on it I was flat footed but just. Feel sort of stupid as bike was designed to be higher up but I wanted one for many other reasons and thought I could live with it or alter seat. Good to know I’m not the only one per posts. Has a Corbin seat which I found out can’t be altered very much and is totally comfortable to ride as is. Looked into lowering dogbones and front fork adjustment. After researching I’m thinking of Soupy’s (steel and adjustable) or adventuretech (also steel but not adjustable). Soupy’s more expensive but I like the adjustable thing. Thoughts? I’m aware I may have to alter the kickstand. Looked at Kouba and PSA(?) too.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I have the soupy's, love em. Dialed em in just right, down 1" rear, front forks lowered 3/4". I also have the soupy's adjustable kickstand. You'll definitely need a lower kick stand if bike is lowered. FWIW, getting bike up on centerstand made more difficult with lowering, but not impossible

·
Registered
318 Posts
If you just need a little bit more, and am not sure about Corbin, but if they have rubber bumpers under the seat like stock, you can remove them. Suggest leaving the front one in by the tank, as then you don't get slammed into the tank. A thought...

·
Premium Member
5,017 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have the soupy's, love em. Dialed em in just right, down 1" rear, front forks lowered 3/4". I also have the soupy's adjustable kickstand. You'll definitely need a lower kick stand if bike is lowered. FWIW, getting bike up on centerstand made more difficult with lowering, but not impossible
I will likely do Soupy’s but I read somewhere the sidestand is’nt great. Not sure why but I’m guessing doesn’t stay at adjustment. They look like they are aluminum too. I just came across T-Rex racing’s site and they make an adjustable center and sidestand! I bought an OEM center stand before I picked up the bike. I am thinking I should take a good look at it and maybe see if I could have it modified to make it adjustable. I wish I could try a bike with OEM centerstand but lowered to see how hard it is. Thanks for your response.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you just need a little bit more, and am not sure about Corbin, but if they have rubber bumpers under the seat like stock, you can remove them. Suggest leaving the front one in by the tank, as then you don't get slammed into the tank. A thought...
I have read that about the rubber bumpers and will add it to the list of tries before I get too crazy with mods that will lead to other mods &$$. Frankly I should chill a little and buck up. Just starting the season. The bike is new and higher than previous so getting back in the saddle is dually affecting comfort zone. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Lowering your bike makes sense. It is not just getting your feet flat but to be able to spread them apart for stability.
Me, I'd just go for the Adventure Tech. I have never heard of the Soupy's getting loose or failing but the AT set can not.
AS for the side and center stands, some folks never feel the need to modify them. But if you do it is easy to measure how much by testing against pieces of wood on the floor. Any semi-competent welder can make short work of it. Some folks don't fear welding them while attached to the bike, I take things off before welding.
Either way, lowering it just makes it easier every time you you use your bike.

·
Registered
81 Posts
When I bought my bike I was on the balls of my feet or maybe just a little more on my toes. Anyway, like you I was a little uncomfortable with the weight of the bike on gravel or uneven ground. I lowered the bike 3/4 of an inch using Kouba Links. It was a near perfect move with my feet almost flat on the ground. Then I decided I wanted a custom seat. Like the lowering links, the seat was a huge improvement over the original seat in my opinion. However, the seat was a little wider than the original and I found myself back up on the balls of my feet when stopped. By that time however, I had hours on the bike and I was much more comfortable balancing the weight of the loaded bike on uneven ground. I would buy both the lowering links and the custom seat again in a minute. I'm now comfortable back up on the balls of my feet like I was so many years ago, when I ran dirt bikes.

·
Registered
213 Posts
5ft 5 in the shade.
Bought a low seat all good, can get one foot on ground no worries.
Tippy toe on both, I like dirt so didn't want to loose ground clearance.
Two up with bags all good.

Harry

·
Registered
155 Posts
Lowered mine too much initially which later caused rear tire to rub on hard bumps after installing new, beefier rear tire. Handled just fine though for those months at 2 inch drop. Second hand dealer that lowered the bike also shortened OEM kickstand by cutting it off and welded the foot back on.

All was fine until I needed to raise the bike a bit for tire clearance. Went with AdventureTech's dogbones in the maximum drop without clearance (inch and a quarter I think). These are great and he lists all the information that you need for a decision.

Had to get the Soupy's adjustable kickstand and it works OK. If the bike were ANY higher the kickstand would not be long enough. It is pricy especially with the needed larger foot; you cannot use the stand on a soft surface without it.
If you go with the Soupy's stand, use Locktite on the screws - trust me mine lost 1 of 2 screws and the 2nd had started backing out. I also worry about the stand since it is aluminum instead of steel but no issues in 25,000 miles.

If I ever have an issue, will get OEM stand and have it shortened. Hope this helps

·
Registered
79 Posts
I've got a set of 3/4" lowering links that came on my 2012 Wee if you want them. I had a guy give me a set of stock links for free when buying a tank bag, that I've put on, and will never be using the lowering links again. They should fit in a USPS padded envelope. You would also want to raise the forks in the triple tree an equal amount if you do get rear lowering links.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've got a set of 3/4" lowering links that came on my 2012 Wee if you want them. I had a guy give me a set of stock links for free when buying a tank bag, that I've put on, and will never be using the lowering links again. They should fit in a USPS padded envelope. You would also want to raise the forks in the triple tree an equal amount if you do get rear lowering links.
Thanks so much for the generous offer but got the Soupys. I like the custom setting ability.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Don't worry about the center stand. Carry a short piece of 1X3 with you and roll the rear wheel up on it when you want to put the bike on the center stand.
The Corbin seat doesn't have bumpers so it is what it is.
Cool ez solution thx!

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
Just would make me feel more secure. Not terrible as is but feels sketchy on gravel,dirt, horizontal slope. Just bought the bike and love it. When I sat on it I was flat footed but just. Feel sort of stupid as bike was designed to be higher up but I wanted one for many other reasons and thought I could live with it or alter seat. Good to know I’m not the only one per posts. Has a Corbin seat which I found out can’t be altered very much and is totally comfortable to ride as is. Looked into lowering dogbones and front fork adjustment. After researching I’m thinking of Soupy’s (steel and adjustable) or adventuretech (also steel but not adjustable). Soupy’s more expensive but I like the adjustable thing. Thoughts? I’m aware I may have to alter the kickstand. Looked at Kouba and PSA(?) too.
You can raise the front fork tubes, easy to do, gives you about 1/2" or more. That combined with shaving seat bumpers, etc. may be all you need if you can flat foot even if just barely. Good luck with whatever you try.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts