StromTrooper banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I've decided on getting a 650 Vstrom this year. I always buy preowned. I am wondering what the differences are between model? I can get a 2011 / 2012 one for roughly the same price. What's the difference other than the slight looks? There seems to be a model in 2011 that looks both similar to the old look and similar to the latest look, what is this model?

Secondly, is there anything i should modify or look for when buying one second hand ? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This probably won't be helpful, but... my 2 cents.

I'm a new DL650 owner, so... not too experienced with the former models, but I test rode a preowned and heavily modded 2009 and a 2011 (both old body style) before buying a 2015 650 with 0 miles. Got a solid price and financing. Between the 3 bikes I test rode, the rides all felt pretty much the same. It's my understanding (someone correct me if I'm wrong, please) that there aren't too many differences other than the updated body style and the digital instrument dash.

The older bikes I looked at had aftermarket windshields (buffeting at speed has seemed to be a consistent issue across model years), hand guards, engine guards, skid plates, hand warmers, :|:|:|:|ing amp meters, center stands.... a ton of extras. I thought these additions were what I wanted, but their installations were done by the owners and didn't look very well done. I went with the stock 2015 because I didn't want to have to reverse engineer all those (electrical) additions if they ever failed. Plus, new bike. It's mine and I don't have to guess at how it's been treated in the past.

Not sure what the diff's are between 11 and 12. Test ride em! Good luck!

·
Registered
450 Posts
There are quite a few comparisons between the 2011 and 2012 out there on the web. 2012 is the first year of what is effectively a 2nd generation of the Vstrom 650 so it is somewhat different. Many (most?) accessories are not transferable between the two models.

I rode an older model bike first, and like Pickle_Beard opted to buy a new '14 so that i knew the history and could make it mine. If you find a good deal on a clean low mileage gen 1 bike that comes with a service history i wouldn't hesitate to pull the trigger though.

Here is one comparison:
2012 Suzuki V-Strom 650 Adventure First Ride - Motorcycle USA

·
Registered
185 Posts
I owned an 07 and now have a 2013. A few things:

- the gen 2 has much less buffeting/wind issues that the original design. Even with the stock windshield. With a good setup, side-by-side, the gen 2 is greatly improved.

- the gen 2 does away with the oil cooler. Just one less thing hanging off the bottom.

- the 07 was the first year with dual spark plugs and all years since have that design. Regardless, gas mileage is about the same, albeit a slightly smaller gas tank on the gen 2.

·
Premium Member
926 Posts
The 2nd generation 650 is old enough now that it's depreciated into the same used bike price range as the '11 and older, so I'd definitely get a '12 model or newer.
And, I'd get it before riding season starts in your area (assuming you're not in the deep south where that is not a consideration.) Prices will be firmer as more buyers will enter the market.

I'd also one with the farkles you really want as they're a bargain when they're already on the bike, compared to buying and installing them on a stripped down model. If you're planning on overnight trips, get one with bags and top case. In any case, try to get one with a center stand and crash bars. My 2 cents.
Oh, by the way, you might the right decision with a 650 Vstrom...:smile2:

·
Super Moderator
13,082 Posts
- the gen 2 does away with the oil cooler. Just one less thing hanging off the bottom.
Not true. The 2012+ DL650 has an oil cooler.. it is a coolant/oil heat exhanger located in between the oil filter and the engine.

..Tom

·
Super Moderator
16,235 Posts
Not true. The 2012+ DL650 has an oil cooler.. it is a coolant/oil heat exhanger located in between the oil filter and the engine.

..Tom
Yup and it is a much better all around engine too in my opinion.

·
Registered
185 Posts

..Tom
Perhaps I should have said that the 2012+ doesn't have a "separate" oil cooler :)

It is accurate that there is an extra appendage hanging below the radiator on the pre 2012 bikes...

·
Registered
603 Posts
BarnicleTed, I am a recent new owner and did some test rides prior to purchase. I wrote a little about the experience on the old 650 and the new 650 here:

http://www.stromtrooper.com/v-curious/237810-considering-weestrom-6.html

After that, I had the opportunity ride a few more bikes and compare them a bit, continue through the thread if the others interest you.

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
I got my 2013 in the middle of December. Had a chance to take it for 150 miles spin a week later and liked it. That's after 2 Vee and 5 Wee in past few years. If you can get Glee for few hundreds more then Wee go for it. Rode it yesterday again for maybe 150 miles and liked it even more. Even the look of it is slowly getting more acceptable...

·
Registered
110 Posts
I have the same dilemma as the OP but I only buy new---for MANY reasons and I have what I think is a great price at $7,599 out the door:)

There is another bike in contention though and it is the Honda NC700x DCT or the CTX 700 DCT. The DL or the Honda won't be used off road at all and I know all are great street bikes.

I just wonder what to buy????

I have to sell my 2012 Burgman 650 Executive first though to take some sting out of the new price.

Sam

·
Super Moderator
16,235 Posts
I have the same dilemma as the OP but I only buy new---for MANY reasons and I have what I think is a great price at $7,599 out the door:)

There is another bike in contention though and it is the Honda NC700x DCT or the CTX 700 DCT. The DL or the Honda won't be used off road at all and I know all are great street bikes.

I just wonder what to buy????

I have to sell my 2012 Burgman 650 Executive first though to take some sting out of the new price.

Sam
Those Honda's are total dogs from what I understand, the 650 Strom runs like a raped ape in comparison.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Now is a good time to look at left overs mine is a 2013 adventure which means it came with the side cases it was the same price as a new 2015 naked version so don't be scared or ask hey any left overs you can get a good deal on them. If you don't want the side boxes i recommend at least getting a top box to lock your helmet in or trips to the store i use that one the most side cases i leave off unless i am traveling.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Rocketman - stay off the Honda 700 series especially the DCT ...you'll hate it after the Burgman 650. ( I miss my 650 but got my price for it - have both a Wee and a CBF1000 which you would love but is not available in the US )

As long as your inseam is over 30" the Stroms will be fine and you'll find the lighter weight a delight.

In the Hondas....the CB500x is a total treat ....always in serious contention for my use.... a do all machine.

Here is a reasonably fair shootout between the Strom and the CB500x

https://rideapart.com/articles/suzuki-v-strom-650-adventure-vs-honda-cb500x-comparison-test

The X is simply delightful and effortless to ride. The Wee more of a solid workhorse - stronger all around. The differences tho are surprisingly minor.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Sam
So - not to hijack the OP's thread - but maybe some local pricing here will help the overall picture - My dilemma - an out the door 14' Glee for $7700 (tax is 7.9% here and title is $175 included in that price) or ... there is a very lightly used 11' with just 2454 miles - SW motech crash bars and skid plate - tall givi windscreen, kaoko throttle lock , barkbuster storm hand guards , radiator metal mesh protector , oil cooler metal mesh protector, lowered seat and decent avon distanzias for $6100 out the door - same 7.9% tax and $160ish title included in price- not sure if those are decent prices or not? either better off road? 2up? thanks ... o.w.rider

·
Registered
74 Posts
I had an 08 and now a '12 Adventurer. The wind buffeting is greatly reduced and the improved dash is a night/day improvement. Never thought a gear position indicator would be necessary but I like it very much.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts