StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
in the 60's in Shenendoah Valley her in VA and i can't ride because bike is in major fix up mode with seat in CA and it won't be back for another month. I knew this would happen. IOW, I feel your pain.

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
Straight south I presume....not to make youse jealous or nothin'...

come Tuesday I'll be playing on the KLR650 in lovely tropical Australia >:)

thread here
Down Under on a KLR 650 ...second season - Page 13

after a lovely flight across the Pacific on a Dreamliner

wicked nice plane to travel in....

I actually got out for 100km last weekend on the Wee
This mild weather tho isn't lasting

·
Registered
725 Posts
Well, I should have my Wee2 back together tomorrow (it's also in major maintenance mode) and I'm going to take a quick ride on Friday, 1 or 2 hours. Supposed to be 45 F.
Better than nothing ;)

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
I was tempted every day this week - too much to do.

·
Premium Member
2,355 Posts
Those who know you ... also know this.

I've been riding.

..Tom
Tom, Ontario has experienced 150 winters. For one-sixth of them, I rode all winter in Ontario.
Mainly I did a six-mile commute to King Street in Toronto, but also occasional rides for fun.

Now I am where cold refers to something in a glass. I prefer it that way,
but I think I am still ready for a bone-chilling ride in whatever Ontario can throw at us.

There is nothing quite so refreshing as a faceful of salty gritty slush
flung at me with a closing velocity of 200 kph. The memory is still vivid.

Spring is on the way. I step outside and make fanning motions toward Canada every day ...

I hope to bring you an orange soon.
Keith

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
Yeah - sudden interest in my CBF1000....must be spring soon.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Just Chillin...

Been riding my new to me '11 Oui I just bought this past Saturday. But just for very short rides on nearby local streets at maybe 30 mins or so. I'm trying to get my riding chops back after being off bikes for so many years. Feels great to be back on again, just really pacing myself. Sunny-partly cloudy, 60's, windy days lately here in SE TX.

Though I learned again very quickly that at any speeds above what I can do on my mountain bike the air gets darn chilly very soon. Seller had handguards and heated grips which will help when I need them. More that I don't have the proper cold weather riding gear to stay warm at these speeds. But it's been tolerable so far. Not sure I want to invest alot in heavy winter riding gear as we don't have uber-cold weather here for long at all.

I did get to my nearest Cycle Gear yesterday but in my cager, Oui still too new to me to wander out that far. The guys at CG were great and very helpful to this old fart, re-noob. Oui seller threw in some used, lighter weight gear to get me re-started riding just helmet/gloves. And I already had what we call 'winter coats' here in TX. But I wanted better/proper bike gear. So I picked up a armored mesh, riding jacket, modular helmet and protective riding gloves. I'm more concerned being protected in a possible fall than I am of cold nose and knees for now.

On a side note, been watching the Australian Open Tennis matches on the tube this week. Looks pretty darn warm and sweaty in Oz land. Sure like to ride (visit) that climate one day. But it may be more for tennis match watching than outback biking. :serious: Here's to re-riding.

·
Super Moderator
13,093 Posts
Tom, Ontario has experienced 150 winters. For one-sixth of them, I rode all winter in Ontario.
Mainly I did a six-mile commute to King Street in Toronto, but also occasional rides for fun.

Now I am where cold refers to something in a glass. I prefer it that way,
but I think I am still ready for a bone-chilling ride in whatever Ontario can throw at us.

There is nothing quite so refreshing as a faceful of salty gritty slush
flung at me with a closing velocity of 200 kph. The memory is still vivid.

Spring is on the way. I step outside and make fanning motions toward Canada every day ...

I hope to bring you an orange soon.
Keith
Looking forwards to the Orange and seeing you Keith!

I think if I lived in the city of Toronto I could ride almost every day. Toronto has it's own bubble of warmth that keeps the road largely free of snow and ice. Sometimes there is a 20 degree °f spread between the temperature at my work and at home although in winter it usually is about 10°f difference. I can have snow squalls on my way in to work and clear and dry at work.

..Tom

·
Registered
708 Posts
Been riding my new to me '11 Oui I just bought this past Saturday. But just for very short rides on nearby local streets at maybe 30 mins or so. I'm trying to get my riding chops back after being off bikes for so many years. Feels great to be back on again, just really pacing myself.
From another "re-learner", class of 2010, it is great to get back on, isn't it! Although only 4 1/2 hours ENE from Toronto, Ottawa has a totally different climate. Although there are days during winter when riding might be possible, I just don't bother trying. The bike is stored across town, liberating the garage/shop for other things. Such as:

Bro-in-law's '72 V7 Sport restoration is coming along fine, but slow. Frame and other black pieces newly powder-coated, shiny bits out for re-chroming, awaiting engine bearings, tappets and such from Italy via Vancouver (!), then crank out for regrinding, and other stuff.

Son's dirt bike is in there as well needing a new piston - his street bikes have been sold off; it's that time in life when wife, kids, house, work and keeping two cars on the road all take a toll. We've been there, right? I do lend him the Wee for a week at a time now and then to keep him sane. He did the same for me on occasion over the years I was without a motor bike. It did help to keep my skills up. I have to admit there was some pussy-footing about with the new bike back in 2010, as there is for the first 200 meters each spring. (Sharp right out of the driveway, to the corner. Stop, turn right, nice sweeping bend, then alive once more.)

Winter is long (though unseasonably mild, but snowy, this year). The Strom will be out in two to two and a half months. Bring them oranges Keith!

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Looking forwards to the Orange and seeing you Keith!

I think if I lived in the city of Toronto I could ride almost every day. Toronto has it's own bubble of warmth that keeps the road largely free of snow and ice. Sometimes there is a 20 degree °f spread between the temperature at my work and at home although in winter it usually is about 10°f difference. I can have snow squalls on my way in to work and clear and dry at work.

..Tom

..Tom
No chance of that happening here. People filming themselves skating in the streets this week.

:surprise:

·
Super Moderator
13,093 Posts
Hi Tom ,Should have kept my 07 for winter .Just can't bring myself to ride my new bike in the salt.
It won't decompose on the spot when it sees salt.

..Tom

·
Premium Member
2,355 Posts
It won't decompose on the spot when it sees salt.

..Tom
Most bikes are well painted nowadays, so salt will not greatly corrode the metal parts.

And yes, Tom, I recall the temperature difference between Toronto and its suburbs.
As soon as I got south of Steeles Avenue (boundary between Toronto and Thornhill + Markham)
I could feel a welcome increase in temperature. I called it, "The Dome", which of course it isn't.

I greatly prefer the weather around me here in Florida, but I plan to experience some winter riding.
I will be visiting my son in Richmond (near Vancouver BC) before winter ends, and I will be riding HIS DL-650. (Clever fella to know a good bike!)

Yeah, I know southern BC has mild winters, but winter is winter!
I chickened out of the Ontario Spring Ride in 2016. I hope to make it this year.
Keith

1 - 20 of 21 Posts