StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
$tromtrooper
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pulled the trigger.

Just couldn't resist. I've had two Vstroms for the past 6 years and 60,000kms and just needed a change. The FZ6 caught my attention because of the 98hp, great reviews, gorgeous looking bike and insurance rates are actually cheaper than the Vstrom. Took it out for a test ride, WOW. The bike sees a corner and wants to turn on it's own. Red lines at 14,000 rpms and keeps pulling to it but very tame at lower rpms. I will miss the Storm. It's a great touring bike and does almost everything right. Perfect for gravel roads and great on the highway. The FZ6 is also a very versatile bike and with the extra ponies adds to were the DL650 fell short. If Suzuki had come out with a 800cc Vstrom in 2012 I would have bought it but to me the new bike is too similar to the old one.

·
Premium Member
2,975 Posts
98 ponies.........WOW!!!! My ZRX1100 "only" has 96 hp. Nice looking scoot!!
Now: how's the wind buffeting?? what kind of oil do you use?? Hi-Vis or not?? What kind of tires do...............:headbang::headbang:

·
Registered
21 Posts
You are going to like the FZ. I had three FZ1's and they did most everything really well. I helped a friend pick out an FZ6 a couple of years ago and rode it several times. I found the quality of Yamaha to be second to none. Enjoy and be safe. :hurray:

·
Administrator
17,206 Posts
Congrats, those are great scoots!

·
$tromtrooper
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys for the replies. Already started to thinking about accessories. The FZ6 only used one headlight on low beam and found a "fix" for that. One interesting thing is that the Vstrom hand guards fit the FZ6 with a slight modification. I did save my Scott's steering stabilizer from the Vstrom but it looks as though Scott doesn't make a mounting kit for the new bike so I probably put it up for sale. The guys on the FZ6 forum believe that the bike doesn't need it.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Ya horny little bugger ya. Couldn't resist temptation eh?
Those are really nice looking bikes, I like the styling of the FZ6 a bunch
Good job.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I don't own one, but have ridden one quite a bit (if 150 odd miles is quite a bit) on a demo. It definitely ended up on my short list to buy. Only reason I didn't buy is was that after my ride "my knee and and I had a long discussion". I lost.

But, I do like that scoot. What fun.

Banks

·
Registered
56 Posts
Still miss my 2004 FZ1. These are great bikes. You will enjoy it. Best wishes. :thumbup:

·
Registered
899 Posts
Ah, the trophy wife. Younger, prettier. Fast corner sex whenever you want it...

But in a couple of months, you'll find yourself thinking about your ex. You'll say things like, "I remember going camping with Wee and she always carried everything I dumped on her without any complaints." And the new one will look at you and say, "Camping? Seriously?!? In these shoes?!"

And one day you'll suggest a run up a dirt road, and the new one will say, "Ah, no! I'm not into that. How about some more corner sex!"

You'll be back. ;)

·
Registered
288 Posts
Beautiful bike!

The only reason I ended up with a V-Strom is because my long legs couldn't fit on the Yamaha as well. I wanted one BAD! I was looking into new seats, peg lowering, etc....just didn't work out for me.

Congratulations!

·
Premium Member
3,132 Posts
Throw some Anakee's on that thing, and you can prolly do all the dirt roading you'd normally do on a Strom!

Seems to me they both have similar wheel travel, and somewhat upright riding positions (easily swapped out tube h-bar).......

You may not have strayed as far as you think!

·
Registered
99 Posts
I have an R6 that I don't ride much these days and I'm contemplating getting rid of it and getting something like this or an FZ1. Still sportier but more comfortable.
I'm keeping the Wee though.

·
$tromtrooper
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ah, the trophy wife. Younger, prettier. Fast corner sex whenever you want it...

But in a couple of months, you'll find yourself thinking about your ex. You'll say things like, "I remember going camping with Wee and she always carried everything I dumped on her without any complaints." And the new one will look at you and say, "Camping? Seriously?!? In these shoes?!"

And one day you'll suggest a run up a dirt road, and the new one will say, "Ah, no! I'm not into that. How about some more corner sex!"

You'll be back. ;)
Funny stuff, but wow what a ride and if I hadn't rode her hard I'd always be wondering what that would have been like. I'm getting all sweaty thinking about it.

·
$tromtrooper
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have an R6 that I don't ride much these days and I'm contemplating getting rid of it and getting something like this or an FZ1. Still sportier but more comfortable.
I'm keeping the Wee though.
I would have loved to get the FZ1 but insurance rates made that decision for me.

·
$tromtrooper
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Just an update of the FZ6 and what I miss about the DL650.

DL650 advantages:

1) Riding position. The Vstrom is a very comfortable ride for the long distance rides, very upright riding position.
2) Softer suspension means it rides better over the ruff stuff.
3) More room on the bike to carry luggage and gear
4) Bigger, taller bike. Good in some respects.
5) Smoother motor at cruising speeds. The FZ6 "buzzes" a little more, not much but some.

FZ6 advantages:

1) Engine performance. With 100hp and a 14,000 RPM redline this bike performs. Passing a vehicle at highway speed on the DL650 always required some planning, more so when there was a load on the bike. The FZ6 does it effortlessly. To give you an idea on performance in 2nd gear at 13,000 rpms speed is over 80 mph. Top speed is approx. 152mph (which I'm never going to find out).

2) Cornering and manuvering. The FZ6 practically falls into the corners and changing direction and manevering around obsticals at any speed is far superior then the Vstrom.

3) Instruments. Indicated speed is bang on. Large LCD displaces the speed and the RPM is read by a dial. Fuel gauge is acurate. You can display the coolant temp. or air intake temp. You can adjust the brightness of the display.

4) Weight. The bike feels very light compared to the Vstrom. Easy to manuver at slow speeds and doesn't feel top heavy.

5) The FZ6 is much easier to work on and service. I can have the air filter out in under 3 minutes even though it's located in the same place as the Vstrom, under the tank. The fuel tank on the FZ6 lifts from the front and hinges at the back. Just lift and use a bungee cord to hold it upright. If you have to take the front fairing off as a complete unit by removing two screws and unpluging two wiring harnesses. In less than 5 minutes you can have it off. Nice

Very happy to trade the Vstrom for the FZ6. It never seems to be a boring ride. I actually ride the FZ6 slower than the Vstrom. It's very reasuring to have that performance on tap when you want it. I have since added a custom seat and bar backs and the FZ6 riding position is now close to the Vstrom's.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Nice update.
I didn't hear much there that couldn't be easily improved if you are really into the bike, the suspension and riding position for example.
No bike ever has it all, just gotta pick the best package for your needs.

·
Registered
541 Posts
We all need a crotch rocket, just to see if we can handle it.
A fine observation; one I will mull over the rest of the weekend...:beatnik:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts