StromTrooper banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm riding a 2013 DL650 that I bought as a left over in 2014. As is normal, recently I have a wandering eye and have been considering upgrading my ride. Bikes I have considered are a Yamaha Tracer 900 GT, Triumph Tiger 800 (road versions), Versys 1000 LT (but not the new version as it's price jumped too much), and a DL1000. I came off a bike (Honda ST1300) that had a lot more punch than the 650, and wondered about moving back to more performance. I think the key is to not only look at reviews of new rides, but to also look at reviews of my current ride, which point out why I chose my current ride. I watched a long term review on the 650 by Biker Antics on youtube, who seems to ride much like I do. I'm an old fart at 63, but I think the 650 will still work well for me for a while. I never thought I bonded with the 650 like some do, but it is an excellent bike. Don't forget why you have your current ride. I may keep my 2013 650 for a while.

·
Premium Member
4,809 Posts
Your set up is very like my last Wee. Nicely tweaked for me and can go distance with reasonable cost and not too many fuel stops.
It's good in the twisties and stable off pavement with the correct tires.

What it won't do is give you a twist the wrist thrill. A 1000 strom weighs about 25lb more and will give you a nice rush and likely your farkles will translate.
You lose some fuel mileage and range and some luggage weight capacity ( it's the same as the Wee but the bike weighs more ).

Moving to a different marque is risky.

I initially went to a CBF1000 ( similar to your ST1300 but lighter sport tourer ) - got my thrills, not as comfortable, dismal tank range and costly to operate in Canada. It weighed a bit less than the Wee and the weight was lower which helped my 30" inseam.
But how often did I get to use that power ....and far too many fuel stops.

So I gave up on the thrills, went for mileage and low weight with the CB500x.
Not as much oomph even as the 650 Vstrom but enough to tour all day at 80 mph + and truly delightful near 70 mpg fuel economy with a long range between stops.
Weighs less too ....down 70 lb to 422 and that's a treat. I'm 71 and moving the CB500x around is a treat after the 500+ plus machines.

If you are comfortable on your 650 ...I'd be cautious switching out as you get a lot of pluses and they are very reliable ( stator issues excepted )
I bought one 2010 650 ABS specifically for a trip out west with my son and it served very well. Sold it when I got back and then missed it.

Got a super deal on a high mileage same machine and rode it for 20k km and sold it for the same $2200 I paid for it....

Bought the CBF1000 to get the thrill but the range annoyed me to no end and rarely an opportunity to use the power.
Settled on my first new bike in 50 years.

If you fit the Wee ....I'd sit tight. I wanted something a bit lower and bit lighter and cost effective on fuel.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a 2016 Versys 1000LT and recently bought a 2013 Wee for Alaska this summer. I love 5he wee and if I had found it before the Versys I would only have the wee now. Don't get me wrong, the Versys is a great bike with power, comfort and carrying capability. It is just a little taller and heavier than the wee and at 66 I prefer the ease of handling the 650. But for 2 up all day midway work, get the Versys and gear it a little taller and pound some miles. Or do like me and have both.

·
Premium Member
2,538 Posts
I got my Wee in 06 and rode it until last May(122K). Got the bug a few times, but every time I would just ride it and say to myself why. The bug finally got to me while taking a buddy around to look at new machines. I kept looking at the 2018 1000. Found a real good deal and jumped on it. The 18 is so improved over the early versions. Lighter,ABS, better mileage, better brakes, suspension and electronics. 16K by Oct.
PS - 71 years young here.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I appreciate the input. Still thinking about other bikes besides my 650, and I think I've eliminated the Versys as it's a little heavier. Still thinking about the Tracer and the DL1K. As for the DL1K, I'm not sure that I don't like the 2014 better than the new ones. I'm in no hurry, but would like to find some test rides for the DL1K and Tracer 900. Hard to come by. The 650 still does all I need comfortably. For now I would just like the rain to go away....

·
Registered
162 Posts
Buy the bike you want, life’s too short to have a wandering eye and not act upon it from time to time. ?
That is good advice and what I tell my wife from time to time. These thoughts are also good for guns and guitars.

YOLO!!!!! and.....
You can't take it with you!!

·
Administrator
16,600 Posts
My eyes have really been wandering towards a KTM 1090R, just waiting for it to be updated like the 1290 and the new 790.

·
Registered
11 Posts
As you didn’t indicate whether you do much off-roading, I’m guessing you’re thinking in terms of mostly highway use. If 1,000 cc’s is getting too big and heavy, the 800-950cc class is offering some really great bikes. Some of us older guys are getting away from the bigger/heavier bikes. BMW has hit a nice sweet spot of displacement, power & weight with the 700/800s and newer 750/850 series. I’ve looked at the specs of the Yamaha Tracer 900GT. I think it’s a slam dunk bike. I've also rode the Triumph 800 cc. It’s a cool bike and those triples pull like a mini freight train. I’d sure test ride that Tracer GT before I decided anything.

Tracer GT specs: triple engine, $13k, 6 speed, 847 cc’s, 105 horsepower/60 ft lb of torque (dyno), slip-assist clutch, cruise control, digital color display, adjustable windshield, ride mode adjustable on the fly, heated grips, comes with side cases, 4.8 gal tank, 474 lbs., wet (no cases), 33.5“ seat.

KD

·
Vendor
4,917 Posts
I had an FJ-09 up until a year ago. Truly a great engine, excellent handling, and great brakes. Ergonomics were definitely not V-Strom like. It used it as a buddy bike, but it tended to induce leg cramps on taller people. Still a worthy ride.

·
Premium Member
4,176 Posts
That V85 from MotoGuzzi sure looks sweet. I sat on it at the bike show and it has everything including cruise, and reasonably priced too. Having said that, I would find it hard to trade my 2014 V2 for it. No complaints about V2 at all actually, fun and reliable. I do not notice weight on it at all. Turning 60 this year.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'd like to get a test ride on the Tracer GT. I keep coming back to it. Leary of reliability with a Multistrada or Tiger. Feel better about reliability of the Tiger, but not sure it's enough performance difference to change. Versys 1K is going up in weight (not a lot) and I don't want to do that. Africa Twin just doesn't speak to me.

I don't ride much off road, but like the idea of doing more if I keep the Wee (or go Vee).

I agree with the "get what you want". Just not so sure what I want. Reasons I got the Wee still apply. No bike is perfect. I miss the power of my ST1300, but at 63, it may be better not to be able to twist that grip. Wee still surprises me how well it moves, but it's not a "wow".

Will ride the Wee until I figure something is better. Changed the oil today and ready for riding season.

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
Hiya, BPS. The below info is what I sent someone here on Stromtrooper several months ago re: my Tracer 900 GT compared to my old 2013 FJR. Strictly subjective from my perspective. Maybe it'll give you a bit more info about the GT. As with everything, YMMV.

Best of luck,
Whistler

"- My FJR consistently got 45-47 mpg on regular unleaded from a 6.6 gal tank. Most of my miles were commuting miles (120 miles roundtrip). The 900GT currently gets 49 mpg on premium unleaded from a 4.8 gal tank.

- The GT's lesser weight has no great impact on perceived stability (at least to my mind) when riding in windy conditions or around heavy trucks. It doesn't get squirrely or twitchy, to me. Physics being what it is, I'm sure there are concrete numbers that will substantiate the differences between the 2 bikes and their respective weights and masses, but my seat o' the pants metering device doesn't really register those differences. I try to stay alert for sudden fluctuations under those conditions, but I don't really over-play the changes - I keep loose hands on the bars and relax my shoulders, and I weather everything that's blown at me. The GT works very well, in my humble opinion. The FJR - a little better due to its weight.

- My 2013 FJR pros:
.....larger fuel tank w/greater range
.....heavy weight in windy conditions
.....larger motor with outstanding throttle response
.....larger aftermarket for farkles
.....fairly nimble and flickable once you get up to highway speeds
.....great electronics
.....cruise control
.....heated grips
.....decent factory suspension
.....ABS brakes,
.....2 riding modes (Sport and Touring)
.....sealed shaft drive; low maintenance

-900GT pros
.....light and flickable in traffic at low and high speeds
.....sweet throttle response out of its triple cylinders
.....lots of low and high-end torque
.....all-LED lighting (except for OEM turn signals)
.....ABS brakes
.....3 riding modes (STD, A [sporting] and B [soft throttle that's good for slow touring, slow city traffic, gentle inputs when raining heavily, etc.)
.....2 traction control modes (TCS1-standard setting for street riding with some traction control , and TCS2-more restrictive and useful in bad weather with slippery road conditions, wet surfaces, etc). TCS can also be switched "Off", in case you're into wheelies and catching air.
.....lighter overall weight (chain drive vs. shaft drive)
.....stable, quick and responsive

Big differences:
....Weight - The FJR is a big cow; granted, a sophisticated and awesome cow, but a cow nonetheless. At low speed, it's much more of a challenge to maneuver than the GT.
.....Chain vs. Shaft drives - pretty obvious. You know that maintenance drill.
.....Fuel Economy - bigger tank and more range with the FJR. Actual mpg is better with the GT, but out of a smaller tank.
.....Fuel Type - the GT must use Premium. The FJR (at least my 2013) used regular unleaded (don't know what the newer ones use).
.....Flickability - tied to weight, in my opinion. The GT is more responsive in this regard; YMMV.
.....Aftermarket accessories - currently more available for the FJR. The GT market is still catching up (some 2017 FJ-09 stuff does fit the GT, but definitely not all). Seats and windscreens are the 2 biggies for me. I do now have an awesome MRA windscreen for my GT, but I will pick up a slightly taller sport/touring National Cycle V-Stream screen for the winter as soon as they become available (Nat'l Cycle is currently working on development). Still waiting on Sargent to come out with a seat (there are some custom makers out there, as well).

I don't regret trading in my FJR for my Tracer at all. It was a great move for me, and expands my "Swiss Army" abilities along with my little DL650. I'm very happy with the GT.

Luggage and bike protection does exist out there for the GT, but not as widespread as the FJR. I'm awaiting some sliders from Higdonion.com at the moment (which also fit the 2017 FJ-09 due to the same frame dimensions). Higdonion, Givi and SW-Motech also offer various flavors of crash bars, guards, etc. I'd recommend lurking on some FJ-09 forums to add to your research; there's some good info out there far beyond my limited knowledge.

Luggage . . . some 900GT owners are using FJR side cases in lieu of the factory GT side cases. Same mounting points, just more cargo capacity (VERY wide profile, though). I removed my side cases and just use a Givi Dolomiti top box; much more practical for me. I've used only top boxes on 5 of my 7 previous bikes for this reason alone. Tank bag and tail bags are the same as for the FJ-09...many and varied."

1 - 15 of 15 Posts